OM System Wow Camera

See this

Fast forward to 12:50 to 12:59.
Quote { But guys, seriously, I have been around for so long. You can't just say that Hey we don't know that you exist, right?} UnQuote

Fast Forward to 13:20 to 13:26.
Quote {And chances of me becoming an OM system ambassador. That's zero. } UnQuote

One the first part, now then Robin knows that OMDS US has this particular world view.
US is primarily concerned with the Anglo Saxon White in the English speaking domain. Which makes commercial sense in their marketing territory.
It is a surprise to Robin. But it is no surprise to some of us that as far as OMDS US is concerned, he is not well known to them.

On the second part, as Robin said, he has to move on. Hint by Robin { "...or any other products" }
This YouTube video by him has a FINALITY. It shuts the door to an OM system ambassadorship permanently. Robin has burned the bridge.

Actually Robin did not lose much.
In my opinion, MFT is a dying/dead sensor format and OMDS is just the Ex-Olympus Camera Division on artificial Life Support in the ICU - awaiting and prolonging an inevitable business DEATH.

Last edited:
Just realized that we have gone off topic discussing on M43 survival.
This thread is actually about OM-1, the latest M43 camera besides the Panasonic GF6.
Those like @ricohflex who wants to discuss on the viability of M43 or another other formats pls start another thread :)

Meanwhile we continue to discuss on OM-1 and its related products here to keep this thread relevant. Thanks

Reactions: Octarine
OM1 settings heads up.

See this

10:17
{ By 2021 Camera Sales Dropped By 93% From 2010}

10:25
{ This industry is just tanking }

UnQuote

Lens sales dropped by 72% from 2012 to 2021.

Can MFT survive this in view of competition from APS-C, Full Frame and mobile phones (for example OPPO X5 Pro)?
Being squeezed at both ends.
Unlikely.

Last edited:
@ricohflex This shall be your closing statement. The thread is about the OM camera. Keep it on topic or elsewhere. Thank you.

• Love
Reactions: skf
OMDS OM1 (body only) costs $3350 according to Lazada.
In a time of Covid and SG economy facing a slowdown going into 2023.
Who will pay this kind of money for a MFT body? Keep in mind what the competition has to offer.

Some will.
Usually those with Sunken Costs.
But worldwide, will sales figures of the MFT OMDS OM1 be enough to rescue the company?

Maybe NOT.
And if not, then for how long the company OMDS and/or its parent company JIP will tolerate continuous financial losses.
Just as it was for the Ex-Olympus Camera Division, there will come a time for JIP to make a corporate decision to make or break OMDS.

6 months ago an OM UK rep mentioned that all of the OM1 bodies allocated to the UK were sold-out already.
It is probably true except he did not say how many.
May be just another marketing trick to claim {we are sold out} to give impression that their product is in high demand.

It is not so difficult to state the approximate number of OM1 units sold in UK and/or world-wide.

The OMDS OM-1 is expensive, but then all SLRs with high end specs are expensive.
Take a look at the price of Sony A7R4, Sony A9 or the Canon R3 etc etc. It is already clear that the future of cameras are now focussed on Advance Amateurs & Pros, who can afford the equipment at whatever the price, as long as they have clients willing to pay for their services.

I was running a Photoshoot and Events Company before. We purchased a Kodak DCS 14n and a Canon EOS 1Ds at more than $10K per camera body. Why? Because at that time, we are getting $1k to $2k per job and we recover our costs in less than 6 months!

I have already debunked the M43 sunken cost theory earlier.
The 7 M43 lenses ranging from Primes, Ultrawide, Mid-Tele and Macro cost me less than $3K and I have enjoyed a lot over the last couple of years. But it will not make me hold back and stay on to M43 if M43 no longer meet my needs. I think it is the same for the rest of the Advanced Amateurs and Pros. At least I am much better off than my friends who own tons of old Sony Alpha lenses or Canon L Lenses where one of the lenses can be more expensive than my entire M43 collection of lenses.

It is not easy to release the latest sales figure and most manufacturers do not want to release it. Why tell the competitors how well you are doing on that model? Anyway, as a buyer, I would rather ask my kakis their experience on that camera rather than depend on some advertising hype boasting sales figures or some features. Yes, I take all reviews with a big pinch of salt, knowing that they are given incentives (money or otherwise) for their reviews. So Ricohflex, you also don't have to keep attacking M43 reviewers thinking we are all so naive and do not know how to evaluate a camera ourselves.

OMDS OM1 (body only) costs $3350 according to Lazada.
In a time of Covid and SG economy facing a slowdown going into 2023.
Who will pay this kind of money for a MFT body? Keep in mind what the competition has to offer.

Some will.
Usually those with Sunken Costs.
But worldwide, will sales figures of the MFT OMDS OM1 be enough to rescue the company?

Maybe NOT.
And if not, then for how long the company OMDS and/or its parent company JIP will tolerate continuous financial losses.
Just as it was for the Ex-Olympus Camera Division, there will come a time for JIP to make a corporate decision to make or break OMDS.

6 months ago an OM UK rep mentioned that all of the OM1 bodies allocated to the UK were sold-out already.
It is probably true except he did not say how many.
May be just another marketing trick to claim {we are sold out} to give impression that their product is in high demand.

It is not so difficult to state the approximate number of OM1 units sold in UK and/or world-wide.

It will be good if OMDS can make it through this difficult period, relying on the sale results of the OM1 mirrorless.
But the going will be made tough by competitors unveiling new products and the Covid affected + Ukraine war affected slowdown in economy.
There is a rumor of a new OMDS OM 5 to be announced. Apparently with higher MP than the OM1.

If OM5 has very high MP then it may cannibalise sales of the OM1.
Wonder why this change as the "1" nomenclature suggests OM1 is the top high end model/product in the range of OMDS camera bodies.

It was said that the OM1 will be the last camera body with the "Olympus" name.
So will future OMDS camera bodies be stamped with the "OMDS" or "OM" brand name?
There is the issue of brand recognition by consumers. Their reaction may be negative.

For fellow members who has purchased the OM1, may I ask whether the warranty is international?
How did the camera perform compare to your previous Olympus model?

Thank you.

For fellow members who has purchased the OM1, may I ask whether the warranty is international?
How did the camera perform compare to your previous Olympus model?

Thank you.
No more international warranty. Olympus already stopped International warranty many years ago.
The OM1 have better noise control at high ISO.
52269697249_ef823c3c60_c.jpg

• OM Digital Solutions OM-1
    LEICA DG NOCTICRON 42.5/F1.2
  • ƒ/1.2, 1/80s ISO 2500.

It has already been rumoured that the OM-5 is going to use the same sensor as OM-1, so the resolution will be the same. Following the trend set by Olympus, OMDS is going to cut down some high end features eg. 2nd card slot, high res viewfinder etc, reduce the size and weight and sells it for about 60% of the OM-1 price.

Olympus did that for the EM5 Mk3 a few years ago putting most of the features of the EM1-mk2 and selling it at 60% of the price.

It will be good if OMDS can make it through this difficult period, relying on the sale results of the OM1 mirrorless.
But the going will be made tough by competitors unveiling new products and the Covid affected + Ukraine war affected slowdown in economy.
There is a rumor of a new OMDS OM 5 to be announced. Apparently with higher MP than the OM1.

If OM5 has very high MP then it may cannibalise sales of the OM1.
Wonder why this change as the "1" nomenclature suggests OM1 is the top high end model/product in the range of OMDS camera bodies.

It was said that the OM1 will be the last camera body with the "Olympus" name.
So will future OMDS camera bodies be stamped with the "OMDS" or "OM" brand name?
There is the issue of brand recognition by consumers. Their reaction may be negative.

Hope they keep the same battery as the OM-1. Maybe I get 1 as a backup.

Yes, it is rumored that the OM-5 will be using the same battery as the OM-1 :)

Hope they keep the same battery as the OM-1. Maybe I get 1 as a backup.

Reactions: wonglp
Hopefully my after my CNY expenditure :oops: have enough for it ;)

It has been 6 months since OM1 mirrorless was launched.
Give them 1 year to compile sales data.
By Feb 2023, OMDS can tell us how many were sold.
After all they claim "sold out".
Then let us know how great the camera body sales figure is.
Not asking for exact number.
Approximate to nearest ten thousand will do.

When a camera body is popular, the manufacturer lets you know roughly how many they sold.
For example, Canon AE-1 sold 5.7 million units.
Asahi Pentax Spotmatic sold more than 4 million units from 1960 to 1977.

If however, OMDS dares not tell, then draw your own conclusions.

Ricohflex, technology has changed from film to digital. You quoted sales of film cameras which young photography enthusiasts have no idea about and it was the defacto consumer fullframe format then .

Phone cameras take the lion share now because the camera is packaged into the phone where sales are in million units. Let's be real ,the enthusiasts camera market or segment is small, same goes for the professional segment. We are talking thousands of units at best. Nonetheless, enthusiasts with money are the seniors who don't want or cannot carry large and heavy fullframe even for aging professionals so micro 4/3 has a niche or fulfill a need for lighter gear. Photography wise in terms of image quality whether resolution or lowlight or sports/ wildlife genres technology has caught up with backside sensors and powerful image processors.
There is not really a downside to m43 use and that's a fact. However use right gear for your needs as they say. You can predict all you want against m43
and time will tell.

I think this is a good reminder for us all...intellect.

Last edited:
Ricohflex, did Sony announce how many A7R IV was being sold?
Did Canon announce how many R5 are being Sold?
Did Fujifilm announce how many XT4 being sold?

All of the above probably each brand top models, but the manufactures also did not announce how many units are being sold?
Did you ask yourself why? Because it is totally not important to the buyers!!!!

You mean you would buy a Sony instead of a Canon just because Sony sell 2000 units more than Canon for example?
Do you make your buying decisions this way? You seemed to be very swayed by ads, youtube reviews, sales figures etc.

Focus on your photography needs. Get what you need instead of nit picking on M43 or OM-1.
OM-1 is not for everyone, Even as a supporter of Olympus, I would not buy the OM-1, where 100 people or 1 million people have bought.
Don't get me wrong, the OM-1 is very good. But I am not the type that buy a $2000 Hilti electric drill to mount a rack in my kitchen or bathroom.