OM System Wow Camera

So the rumored OM-5 is getting closer, also a new lens to be announced.

DP's final review of OM 1, one day ago. Video still needs to be better after 14 min.

Thanks for the negative review. The reviewer proved it.
In the test of Jordan Drake in red jacket running towards the camera. Photos taken at 10 FPS.
His eyes are OUT of focus in some frames. Still far below Sony AF performance.

In the following Video AF test done in 2021, Olympus EM5 Mk3 was ranked 29th and EM1 Mk3 was ranked 42nd. They say, not I say.
The OM-1 was announced 15 Jan 2022, so it is not represented in the test.
But you get the idea of where Olympus stands in Autofocus performance. EM1 Mk3 does not have eye autofocus in Video mode.

Video AF test by Rtings.com

Last edited:
I don't think we need any reviewer to proof it. I already know that that is a weakness of M43 even before I bought 1.
But having use cameras since film camera with manual focus, I am not very dependent on such bells and whistles,
though they are nice to have.

Yes, autofocus is one of M43 weaknesses and video performance is an Olympus weakness.
If your priority is on autofocus or video performance, I think there are better choices from other brands.
Having said that, my hit rate on the EM5 Mk3 is pretty high (90% of my shorts are in focus) mainly because I don't use it for action sports.
For animals or birds I usually wait for them to settle down. If I want them in action, maybe I get the OM-1 or the EM1x with AI to capture birds.

I am using a Sony A7 IV at the same time (because my son has one).
It is definitely quite a bit better than my EM5 mk3 but it is almost 3 times the price.
But if you think that will solve all your autofocus issues and make ALL your photos tack sharp then you will be in for a surprise.
You still need to anticipate what your subject is going to do and nail the shot at the right time, besides having the correct shutter speed.

Thanks for the negative review. The reviewer proved it.
In the test of Jordan Drake in red jacket running towards the camera. Photos taken at 10 FPS.
His eyes are OUT of focus in some frames. Still far below Sony AF performance.

In the following Video AF test done in 2021, Olympus EM5 Mk3 was ranked 29th and EM1 Mk3 was ranked 42nd. They say, not I say.
The OM-1 was announced 15 Jan 2022, so it is not represented in the test.
But you get the idea of where Olympus stands in Autofocus performance. EM1 Mk3 does not have eye autofocus in Video mode.

Video AF test by Rtings.com

Last edited:
After testing the Sony A7 IV for 2 months, although it is a great hybrid camera, I have decided to upgrade my EM5 mk 3 to the OM-1 instead. Although my first impression when the OM-1 is first launch is not exactly a WOW camera, I realized that the OM-1 has a number of useful features which gives a lot of convenience. During these 2 months, I have been improving my photo skills and join groups to shoot sunsets and landscapes with filters, and shoot photos with light trails etc.

Although I already have a set of H&Y filters (ND, GND etc) , they can be a pain to set up when I am on the move. The OM-1 Live ND is really nice. It is also a pain to take Light Trails on a Sony. I missed the Live Composite feature on Olympus.

I also missed using my Olympus 12-100 F4 (equivalent to 24-200 F4) on my Sony. On my Sony, I would need to switch between my 24-70 F4 and my 70-200 F4 as I move around.

On days where I don't need a Telephoto lenses I carry the Olympus 8-25 (equivalent to 16-50). Again on the Sony, I have to carry 2 lenses, the 16-35 and a 50mm Prime.

Hence, I have decided to upgrade my EM5 mk 3 instead of continuing to borrow my son's A7 IV :)

Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing Sony or Full Frame.
The OM-1 or M43 does have its limitations. If I need to shoot portraits like my son (I currently don't), I will still use the Sony for shallow depth of view or if I ever need higher resolution photos for moving subjects.

Other than that I think the OM-1 will serve me better :)

Congratulations on your new acquisition. Have fun with it. It does look similar to the em1.3 but it's not. there are many things that are different and the steep learning curve that comes with it. There are also many hidden gems that is not mentioned by users and hardly by those pros.

I have my unit and I am still learning and discovering them hidden gems.

I already discovered 2 gems, not exactly hidden but I am not expecting them.

1) There was a tiny flash included in the box. What a nice surprise. This basically provides me with a fill flash and very tiny to carry around.
2) There is a bracket that support the HDMI and USB-C cable. Anyone using them knows that they can be dislodged easily especially when you are moving the camera around for shooting.

This shows how OM System has put in a lot of thoughts into the OM-1.

Congrats on the new toy.
The tiny flash was also bundled with the EM1ii too. But was removed in EM1x and probably em1iii (not sure as never own one).
The subject detection are now available of S_AF and C_AF and C_AF+tracking in om1. EM1x’s subject detection is only available on CAF+tracking mode.
Om-1 is built from all the past good and bad lessons learned and I think the OM-1 designers have listen to the end-users.

Last edited:
If you are finding AF inconsistencies, Switch over to C-AF. it works better but battery drain is a tat faster.

So far I have updated the firmware of my OM-1 to 1.3 and updated the firmware of all my lenses too.
I am surprised that OM Workspace provided updates for my Pana-Leica lenses too.

So far the S-AF works perfectly for me. I do not have any opportunity to shoot with C-AF yet.

I have only got a EM5 Mk3 to compare with, and focussing is noticeably faster on all the lenses.
Also with more focussing points and more sensors, there is a highly likelihood that the camera and find something to focus on when you select a larger focus area for it to work on. However, I usually set it to the smallest spot to select the point I want to focus.

Last edited:
The following is a very good video I found on Noise Reduction for the OM-1.

Announced today. 15 Feb 2022.
dpreview

USD$2200 is about SGD 2960.
Limited to 20.4MP.
Due to sensor. Like a dwarf grow to a certain height and cannot grow anymore.

Probably for those already dropped into the hole and have huge sunken costs in Olympus MFT equipment.

May not thrill new users in a world of better APS-C or full frame models from other brands.

This is the canary in the tunnel for OMDS. If it fails in the market and does not sell well, then no more arguments about staying with MFT.

If Nikon Z6 II can sell at (say) SGD$2,700 what do you think a new user will choose between the two.
I have friends who use Pentax and also own the new OM-1. They use that to take photos of lightning. I have 1 x EM1 MKIII and 2 x Pen-F and various PRO Olympus lenses to play with, though I have the full Frame Pentax K1.
The M43 system is for travelling light and the FF K1 for shooting anything.