OM , OM1 , OM2 , OM2N , OM3 , OM4 photo-sharing and possible meetups

16mm Fisheye @ f5.6. This lens led me astray into the Ommmph lenses.

5065834234_253780880e_b.jpg

this is very nice. used to look for this, it is possible to mount this onto Leica M body

managed to dig these pics out.

OM 35 f/2.0 converted to nikon F mount
5066653923_ee55d29446_b.jpg

5067286536_c1c18148cc_b.jpg

and OM 135mm f/2.8
5066676009_28b2b8591d_b.jpg

if anything, i loved the colour from these lenses. v natural. but using them in stop down only eventually wore me out. to me, the IQ wasnt worth the trouble... they are the most compact though. and just a note, the 35mm f/2.0 has no floating element design, someone was discussing this and just thought i'd let you know.

managed to dig these pics out.

OM 35 f/2.0 converted to nikon F mount

and OM 135mm f/2.8

if anything, i loved the colour from these lenses. v natural. but using them in stop down only eventually wore me out. to me, the IQ wasnt worth the trouble... they are the most compact though. and just a note, the 35mm f/2.0 has no floating element design, someone was discussing this and just thought i'd let you know.

Personally, when I was using my OM lenses on my 40D, especially the 24 to 35mm range, the form and feel were never the same when you use them on FF bodies. When you mentioned " the IQ wasnt worth the trouble", what were you comparing them with, and which body were you using. Though I don't use these lenses very often, especially the 24 and 35mm, I find them extremely good for the money you pay. I used to own 4 35F2s, the ZE 35f2, Pentax K 35f2, Nikon 35f2 and the OM 35f2, the IQ of the ZE 35f2 is not worth almost 5 times the price of the other 3 individually. My copy of the OM 35f2 is a very late version, it's not exra-ordinary, but for the money it's worth using it on both my OM-2Sp and my 5D.

Personally, when I was using my OM lenses on my 40D, especially the 24 to 35mm range, the form and feel were never the same when you use them on FF bodies. When you mentioned " the IQ wasnt worth the trouble", what were you comparing them with, and which body were you using. Though I don't use these lenses very often, especially the 24 and 35mm, I find them extremely good for the money you pay. I used to own 4 35F2s, the ZE 35f2, Pentax K 35f2, Nikon 35f2 and the OM 35f2, the IQ of the ZE 35f2 is not worth almost 5 times the price of the other 3 individually. My copy of the OM 35f2 is a very late version, it's not exra-ordinary, but for the money it's worth using it on both my OM-2Sp and my 5D.

its by no means a bad lens.. but i had to live with stop down metering which was a real pain esp for this kinda fl where you want to be able to shoot fast. well, to be fair, i used it on a d200 which gave me 50mm eqv, something i really loved. this lens was in my bag almost everytime i went out for a good 2-3 months.

there re def someways in which its better to my nikkor, but there also ways in which it looses. i just lost too many shots as it was too slow to use. then i picked up my nikkor 35 f2 for a v nice price of $100... the OM just wasnt better enough to make me wanna use it.

compare the nikkor 135 f2.8 and 200f4 with the minolta eqvs though, that is more than enough improvement to get me shooting with..they re also easier to work with stopped down cos of ergonomic issues and the higher magnification.

its by no means a bad lens.. but i had to live with stop down metering which was a real pain esp for this kinda fl where you want to be able to shoot fast. well, to be fair, i used it on a d200 which gave me 50mm eqv, something i really loved. this lens was in my bag almost everytime i went out for a good 2-3 months.

there re def someways in which its better to my nikkor, but there also ways in which it looses. i just lost too many shots as it was too slow to use. then i picked up my nikkor 35 f2 for a v nice price of $100... the OM just wasnt better enough to make me wanna use it.

compare the nikkor 135 f2.8 and 200f4 with the minolta eqvs though, that is more than enough improvement to get me shooting with..they re also easier to work with stopped down cos of ergonomic issues and the higher magnification.

Oh, so you mean stop down metering. Yes I understand and I don't have this issue when I use them native on my OM SLR. I still love to shoot film for some important occassion and will only make prints directly from the negatives as I hate the hussle of scanning them and most scan services are awful. Since you love legacy lenses, you should upgrade to D700, then you will appreciate these lenses more when used on their native FL.

Oh, so you mean stop down metering. Yes I understand and I don't have this issue when I use them native on my OM SLR. I still love to shoot film for some important occassion and will only make prints directly from the negatives as I hate the hussle of scanning them and most scan services are awful. Since you love legacy lenses, you should upgrade to D700, then you will appreciate these lenses more when used on their native FL.

HI FIVE!!!!! but im waiting for the replacement since its supposed to be early next yr... but then again.. thats what they said last year. in the mean time i shoot film to tide me over. really cant wait to go fullframe. in fact.. i think i only use the 35 fl so that i can get 50mm eqv.. i dun really like 35 of ff yet..

have to agree the modern Nikkor AFS lenses are special. When the G-EOS adapter can allow for VR on EOS, I may consider picking up a couple. I personally find these OM to be very useful as lenses to compliment your main AF lens. For my case, I have a 24-85 AF lens flanked by OM 21/3.5 and 135/2.8. The position of the aperture ring is much better than having them close to the body. They are also affordable options for those occasionally used lenses such as fisheye and macro. Furthermore, they can be adapted to NEX/FT/mFT. So they are really very practical for an amateur.

i dun really like 35 of ff yet..

On the contrary, I like the 35mm on FF. It's just that there isn't as much affordable fast options as the 50mm.

Last edited:
bump...

After getting most of my OM lenses, these are those that I would say "go and get them"

1) 16/3.5 fisheye - very nice as have shown already, and cheaper than most AF fisheye lenses if you can snatch a good deal
2) 21/3.5 - really excellent UWA and ever so small
3) 50/1.4 - I still like my Sigma 50 for the bokeh and AF but this is just so small and likeable
4) 80/4 - I prefer this focal length over 50mm as more space between subject and lens. Also able to go up to 2x with the right closed up filter and extension tubes. There are a lot of macro lenses in this focal range. But this can go up to 2x is the main strength. Can be had for less than 1/2 the price of MP-E 65.

I am still waiting for a couple more. Will update when I get them. BTW, which FL is suitable on m4/3. With the 2x crop, I can only see being useful

- 21mm, giving 42mm on m4/3
- 24mm (48mm)
- 28mm (56mm)
- 50 macro (100 macro)

Last edited:
bump...

After getting most of my OM lenses, these are those that I would say "go and get them"

1) 16/3.5 fisheye - very nice as have shown already, and cheaper than most AF fisheye lenses if you can snatch a good deal
2) 21/3.5 - really excellent UWA and ever so small
3) 50/1.4 - I still like my Sigma 50 for the bokeh and AF but this is just so small and likeable
4) 80/4 - I prefer this focal length over 50mm as more space between subject and lens. Also able to go up to 2x with the right closed up filter and extension tubes. There are a lot of macro lenses in this focal range. But this can go up to 2x is the main strength.

I am still waiting for a couple more. Will update when I get them.

Looking at your range of cameras and lenses I wonder how you will spend enough time on each fairly. Are you real? My 2 cameras and 12 lenses are already taking too much space when most will just sit in my dry cabi. I have been reading everything about Pentax over the weekend and their recently launched K5 is killing me. I can just buy a K5 with a DA 16-50f2.8 lens, reversed my current 2 Pentax SMC K 35f2 and 135f2.5, and I am done for and can spend more time shooting rather than reading your rant on your new toys, like your film scanner.

Looking at your range of cameras and lenses I wonder how you will spend enough time on each fairly. Are you real? My 2 cameras and 12 lenses are already taking too much space when most will just sit in my dry cabi. I have been reading everything about Pentax over the weekend and their recently launched K5 is killing me. I can just buy a K5 with a DA 16-50f2.8 lens, reversed my current 2 Pentax SMC K 35f2 and 135f2.5, and I am done for and can spend more time shooting rather than reading your rant on your new toys, like your film scanner.

Pardon my ranting. I did buy a lot of lenses but I also sold a lot of them and I am looking to offload some more. So the overall money spent is controlled. I spent a lot of time looking for a good price and in good condition so didn't have too much trouble offloading them if necessary. I really take an interests in the different lenses since I came onto the scene late. There are people on Leica M, Zeiss, MF, etc which are much more extravagant. I think I am coming to the end of my exploration as I found the few lenses which I will like to use and keep. Then I have a lifetime to use them. My apologies if I sounded like a show-off. I merely wanted to share my path to discovery.

Of course all these gears don't make me a better photographer but it makes me enjoy the hobby and takes me away from the struggle with life and work.

Last edited:
Pardon my ranting. I did buy a lot of lenses but I also sold a lot of them and I am looking to offload some more. So the overall money spent is controlled. I spent a lot of time looking for a good price and in good condition so didn't have too much trouble offloading them if necessary. I really take an interests in the different lenses since I came onto the scene late. There are people on Leica M, Zeiss, MF, etc which are much more extravagant. I think I am coming to the end of my exploration as I found the few lenses which I will like to use and keep. Then I have a lifetime to use them. My apologies if I sounded like a show-off. I merely wanted to share my path to discovery.

And to show I am serious and not blowing trumpet
5093934472_c3886e5ee6.jpg

Of course all these gears don't make me a better photographer but it makes me enjoy the hobby and takes me away from the struggle with life and work.

im in the same boat too. i don't enjoy the crystal clear view of modern day lenses, yet at the same time understand that older optics may not be very 'good'. each lens has its own unique 'character' so to speak and that goes beyond sharpness and includes contrast, micro contrast, skin tone renditions and the ability to achieve a certain 'feel' without the need for excessive pp.

i also believe that the only way to know how these lenses perform and whether or not they fit your taste is to try them. i think rather than trying to show off, we just want to spread awareness of these better(and often v much cheaper) lenses that we've come across that make a good compromise between optical perfection and nice rendition.

i have only tried 2 OM lenses, but have gone thru a fair bit of nikkors, vivitars, tokinas and a number of other 'unknown' lenses. i would say 40-50 is a safe bet. at the moment i have about 20 as i've started looking at longer and also more compact lenses, but in the end, i plan to only keep the few that suit my taste and needs (about 10, 4 more than my previous 6 primes). i assure you that the satisfaction of finding and using a 'nice lens' is worth it. it also gives a little extra kick to your images that ppl will wonder about =)

Regards,
ben

ps: thats nice gaffer tape btw, looks like carbon fiber. =)

Last edited:

hmmm, and now where's that N17-35mm of yours. :D

CP

bump...

I am still waiting for a couple more. Will update when I get them. BTW, which FL is suitable on m4/3. With the 2x crop, I can only see being useful

- 21mm, giving 42mm on m4/3
- 24mm (48mm)
- 28mm (56mm)
- 50 macro (100 macro)

Missed this part. For 4/3 & m4/3, it seems that the lenses wider than 35mm is not very good on the tiny sensor while those above 50mm will be better. The reason is that the OM WA lenses were made for good corner and edge sharpness while the centre suffered. Do not know how true this is, but need you to try and let me know. It's a fact that OM lenses are not popular with most 4/3 and m4/3 users.

Care to name everything in that pile? To really explore the whole range you may need more than one body, like the new 60D to appreciate the whole of the Pentax range without any modification. I also am looking for a Yashica ML 21f2.8, CY mount that is reputed to be near the Contax 21f2.8. With the 60D, the whole M42 range opens up to you. The Mamiya sekors are also very good. The M42 S-M-C Takumars are also a joy to use. Go, man, go.

I like the OM1, big bright view finder, compact and light body, is a piece of fine build instrument for photographer 35 years ago and till now.

I like the OM1, big bright view finder, compact and light body, is a piece of fine build instrument for photographer 35 years ago and till now.

I totally agree, I still enjoy using it, the viewfinder is a breath of fresh air:)

Last edited:
I totally agree, I still enjoy using it, the viewfinder is a breath of fresh air:)

To get the equivalent, I use the Canon 5D with a Nikon 1.2x vf magnifier, I think it's a DK-17M. Sometimes, when I want it bigger, I switch to the KPS 1.35x magnifier. To do this you must have the KPS base holder which can hold the DK-17M. The reason I like the Nikon version is that it's slightly raised and thus preventing my nose to touch the LCD.

ok lah. I think I have been asking too much questions and sharing too much about my gears. I shall fade into the bokeh. Thanks for all the opinions rendered. Time to do more shooting.

ok lah. I think I have been asking too much questions and sharing too much about my gears. I shall fade into the bokeh. Thanks for all the opinions rendered. Time to do more shooting.

And please come back and post about how you like the lenses plus many photos. Also, don't take too long.