OM Adapter for E300

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never seen this thread b4 startign an other thread for the same issue
am here to raise my hand and have a little feedback to add..!

attached herewith are the replies that I had from Oly-$G and Oly-America.
I have not called the Oly_SG studio office yet, but would like to know what's
going on around about this issue..!

Also is there any global site for Oly that addresses these kinda issues..?

cheers, adal

Reply from Oly-SG
<<
Thanks for your email and attachment.

I believe America has a different program
but in Singapore the adapter is an optional item not included in the
package.

Should you have any enquiries please contact me at Olympus Studio at 1800
659 6787.

Regards,
Hedy Teo
>>

Reply from Oly-America
<<

Thank you for your inquiry. There is a free adapter available, you need to
send us the serial number from your camera as well as a valid mailing
address in the US or Canada.

Regards,

Marc
E-1 Digital Technical Support
Olympus Imaging America Inc.
>>

wow... im not an oly user but looks like the canon thing... in the UK and Japan, they're offering the black 300D set with USM lens... in other parts of the world, it's a normal non-USM kit lens that comes with the camera :S

sadal said:
Never seen this thread b4 startign an other thread for the same issue
am here to raise my hand and have a little feedback to add..!

attached herewith are the replies that I had from Oly-$G and Oly-America.
I have not called the Oly_SG studio office yet, but would like to know what's
going on around about this issue..!

Also is there any global site for Oly that addresses these kinda issues..?

cheers, adal

Reply from Oly-SG
<<
Thanks for your email and attachment.

I believe America has a different program
but in Singapore the adapter is an optional item not included in the
package.

Should you have any enquiries please contact me at Olympus Studio at 1800
659 6787.

Regards,
Hedy Teo
>>

Reply from Oly-America
<<

Thank you for your inquiry. There is a free adapter available, you need to
send us the serial number from your camera as well as a valid mailing
address in the US or Canada.

Regards,

Marc
E-1 Digital Technical Support
Olympus Imaging America Inc.
>>

Hello Sadal,

Welcome to the Oly forum !

I understand the frustration to obtain the MA1 OM adaptor for the 4/3 mount. A recent & relevant link on the subject can be found here.

Essentially, till recently, Olympus' segments its markets geographically and allows each autonomy in deciding which products & services to market & support. The practices one reads on the internet in one market does not necessarily apply others (eg. Asia SG), hence the descrepancy in the replies you received.

As far as I know, Oly SG is aware of a demand for the adaptor from feedback from Oly CS forumers. They have also come to know through clarification that the adaptor is an unlisted & unsupported product even though a part number for it exists. They have also come to know that pricey 3rd party (Kindai) option exists. Some enquiries from CSers have shown that the adaptor is available for a fee of around $100 from Oly SG & local large camera retailer. One Oly CSer has paid to get the MA1.

You may wish to know that the FREE adaptor arrangement originated & was restricted to JAPAN for REGISTERED E1 owners.

With the communicating powers of the internet, the rollout of the E300 & the varied market practice, this arrangement fragmented causing a great deal of confusion & unhappiness in the Oly community.

Either way, from what I know, Oly SG though having a clearer picture of the adaptor situation has not given a firm answer on giving it free or otherwise, nor has the effort to consolidate a listing of adaptor requesters to Oly SG progressed beyond soliciting a requester list.

Hopefully this clarifies the existing situation. Do take time to conduct searches, it'll unearth a wealth of information you need to make an assessment :)

Rgds,

Just spoke to Olympus today about the adaptor. Their answer is nope you'll have to buy it? I have like 17 Zuiko OM lenses. So a free adapter would help push me in the direction to get an Oly dslr.

I dont understand why the price in the us is lower than sg yet they and Oly uk users get an adapter?

Furthermore Oly Studio SG told me on the phone the the price for the adapter is S$190!!! a piece. :thumbsd:

If this is the type of service expected from Olympus then Oly OM users should:

either:

1) Switch to a different brand altogether

2) Buy Olympus from a US store (making it a cheaper purchase) and getting freebies with a US serial number.

Having had an hour to cool down (I was upset at Oly SG answer about a "different program" - that's sales mumbo jumbo for we dont have a valid reason).

So I would like to ask Olympus Singapore here this question:

The Olympus Evolt (E-300) Kit is sold in the US for about US$799 after mail in rebate (approx S$1,318) excluding shipping. In singapore the same camera is sold for more. Why is it that in todays international market place do singapore based Oly users/ potential users need to pay more and get less (ie no adapter).

My second question is this:

Wouldnt this turn shutter bugs to look at other brands (esp Oly core users who have OM system lenses)

My 3rd Question is:

Wouldnt all this negative reports affect sales. ie a person looking into buying an Oly based system reading this might think hey I better off with another brand bec Oly Sg cant get the same deals from Oly JP as Oly UK or Oly US can.

I think this has to do with relative pricing. Obviously, if you compare with Japan, Singapore prices are not so unreasonable, likewise, prices in China will be much cheaper.
For eg, the E-300 in big electonics store sells at around $1,700++.(w/out similar freebies) So, the comparison cannot be made for market worldwide, but rather the price is set against comparable products in a market. We must not forget that Singapore market is smaller and hence the landed costs economies cannot be achieved. The question to ask if the E-300 prices are uncompetitive, what alternative DSLR will you purchase for the similar functions and quality. Also, I think Oly in general practise an honest pricing policy. You may recall the price of the D70 when it is launched. Just to put things in perspective. :)

Hello MagicDragon,

I'm sorry to hear of your predicament. I underwent the same frustration as yourself & a number of OMers here.

You may wish to know that ECC35 who actually purchased the adaptor from Cathay photo for $100+, just let go of the same adapter for $60 to a buyer at Buy & Sell. It's a far cry from the $190/- you were quoted from Oly SG.

This adaptor issue has been long drawn; while I believe Oly SG is pursuing the issue, securing the adaptor may be out of their hands as decision lies with Oly JP. You may wish to know that as unfriendly as their adaptor policy is, Oly SG does wish former OMers to join the E-System fold.

I'll try writing to them. Let's see what happens, stay cool for now :)

Cheers,

Serene,

Yeah I was a bit hot under the collar.

Chancy,

Please let me know. Thanks man.

Comment: I have always liked the Oly OM system as it was lightweight and samll when compared to other offerings by say Canon or Nikon. Their lenses were also very good to excellent.

I guess I wait it out a month or two and see what if anything happens.

Hi, interesting discussion round here! I am/was an OM user still holding on to 3 OM bodies and 8 om lenses. They are too good to let go...Howver have gone into other DSLR system. But look tempting to get back into Oly digital system if MA-1 come free with E-1 or E300. :eek:

I own a E300 DSLR and was quite frustrated with the unfriendly policy of Olympus-Sgp for not giving the OM Adapter. For those of you who are using your DSLR to mount to the telescope for astronomy studies, bad news.. there is no T-Ring for your Four-Third mount. T-Ring only for OM mount.
As such, you would need the OM adapter if you are using your E300 DSLR to mount to your telescope.

Well said MagicDragon, must be blowing fire beneath your breath.

From the dealings I had with Olympus-Singapore, the feeling I had is that they were not customer focus and not looking out for customer's interest.

magicdragon said:
Just spoke to Olympus today about the adaptor. Their answer is nope you'll have to buy it? I have like 17 Zuiko OM lenses. So a free adapter would help push me in the direction to get an Oly dslr.

I dont understand why the price in the us is lower than sg yet they and Oly uk users get an adapter?

Furthermore Oly Studio SG told me on the phone the the price for the adapter is S$190!!! a piece. :thumbsd:

If this is the type of service expected from Olympus then Oly OM users should:

either:

1) Switch to a different brand altogether

2) Buy Olympus from a US store (making it a cheaper purchase) and getting freebies with a US serial number.

Having had an hour to cool down (I was upset at Oly SG answer about a "different program" - that's sales mumbo jumbo for we dont have a valid reason).

So I would like to ask Olympus Singapore here this question:

The Olympus Evolt (E-300) Kit is sold in the US for about US$799 after mail in rebate (approx S$1,318) excluding shipping. In singapore the same camera is sold for more. Why is it that in todays international market place do singapore based Oly users/ potential users need to pay more and get less (ie no adapter).

My second question is this:

Wouldnt this turn shutter bugs to look at other brands (esp Oly core users who have OM system lenses)

My 3rd Question is:

Wouldnt all this negative reports affect sales. ie a person looking into buying an Oly based system reading this might think hey I better off with another brand bec Oly Sg cant get the same deals from Oly JP as Oly UK or Oly US can.

Add me in your list too. I own the E300 DSLR.
I have called Oly-$G today; the price they quoted is outrageous.
Although I am not using the adapter to mount to OM lenses, but I am using the OM adapter to mount my E300 onto the telescope for some photos of the moon and planets.

Bad news for E300 DSLR who wants to mount the DSLR to telescope.. Olympus does not have T-Ring for Four-Third mount. So you need the OM Adapter and buy the T-Ring for the OM mount.

tomcat said:
I don't have any OM lenses and would probably do better if I stick to the digital lenses. But I will put my name in the list to help boost the nos. for a louder voice.

1. raycsk
2. Merciless Knight
3. Bariq
4. Chii
5. Alvin Yeoh aka Evilmerlin
6. Serene
7. cllai
8. hhho
9. mezzty
10. jamestyemk
11. ecc35 (bought mine at CP for S$100, too eager to try)
12. astrov ( new guy)
13. nightpiper
14. chancy
15. tomcat
16. wy555

Cheers

chancy said:
Hello Wy555,

In all fairness, if I may dig out a recent (Apr) thread on this issue. I think Olympus responded fairly even though the goodwill was extended on a time-limited basis.

http://forum.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=120036

Just to clarify.

Cheers,

Hi Chancy,

I missed it when Oly (Singapore) issue the free OM adapter two months back. Wonder if they will do it again any time soon???

:cheers:

1. raycsk
2. Merciless Knight
3. Bariq
4. Chii
6. Serene
7. cllai
8. hhho
9. mezzty
10. jamestyemk
11. CHiPs

1. raycsk
2. Merciless Knight
3. Bariq
4. Chii
6. Serene
7. cllai
8. hhho
9. mezzty
10. jamestyemk
12. astrov ( new guy)
13. nightpiper
14. chancy
15. tomcat
16.wy555
17.akirajo

akirajo said:
1. raycsk
2. Merciless Knight
3. Bariq
4. Chii
6. Serene
7. cllai
8. hhho
9. mezzty
10. jamestyemk
12. astrov ( new guy)
13. nightpiper
14. chancy
15. tomcat
16.wy555
17.akirajo

If this is still on, Pls include my as well....

thnx a ton

akirajo said:
1. raycsk
2. Merciless Knight
3. Bariq
4. Chii
6. Serene
7. cllai
8. hhho
9. mezzty
10. jamestyemk
12. astrov ( new guy)
13. nightpiper
14. chancy
15. tomcat
16.wy555
17.akirajo
18.CHiPs

Me too ! Me too !

Thanks !

1. raycsk
2. Merciless Knight
3. Bariq
4. Chii
6. Serene
7. cllai
8. hhho
9. mezzty
10. jamestyemk
12. astrov ( new guy)
13. nightpiper
14. chancy
15. tomcat
16.wy555
17.akirajo
18. Chips
19. peekarwe

peekarwee,

I think this is an old thread. To get your OM adapter now, login to Oly SG site here:

http://www.olympus.com.sg

ykkok said:
peekarwee,

I think this is an old thread. To get your OM adapter now, login to Oly SG site here:

http://www.olympus.com.sg

Hi there, yeah... am pretty new here so running through the threads. Actually, the offer is only valid till 5 aug (today)! and I just sent the email. Hope it squeezes through. I don't understand... So if I don't surf the net, I would never have heard about this offer? Even as a registered user? I wonder...

Status
Not open for further replies.