Olympus to sell off camera division

Actually the 60 FPS marketing blurb is a 4 year old hat. It was from 2016 E-M1 Mk2. It is not something "new" that came with the E-M1 Mk3 in 2020.

Copy writer's job is to turn prospects into paying customers. That is normal for any camera brand.

Canon 1 DX Mk3, sacrificed high MP to achieve fast throughput - made for Professionals covering Tokyo Olympics 2020 or photojournalists.
Maybe because Internet online media news page photos, do not need very high MP.
More important is to get the special shot at the crucial moment.

Not ruling out the rare possibility of a 1DX Mk4 in next few years with lower throughput but with a high MP sensor, when the Tokyo Olympics is over.
Chances are slim, though. Think Canon will monitor the demand for such a thing.

Canon has announced the high MP for their new R5. The RF range seems to be the company's future emphasis.

Well Nikon did it with Nikon 1 V1 before Olympus, my question is where did Olympus claimed their 60FPS is world's fastest?

Also base on your analogy, seems like its ok for canon to be 20MP and not Olympus? Hmmmm :oops:o_O

Guess for FFers they have to wait for the future to emerge from their cave and start shooting...

My apologies if my attempt to segment into 2 distinct groups was seen as pigeon-hole-ing.
And maybe the groupings had sacrificed some accuracy.

But can Olympus really really survive?

*From DPReview, Panasonic's Director just said
'If we stay united I think we will survive'

He was very frank and honest. Most of us like to hear things based on reality.

We do not create our own alternative reality, at least not on this side of the causeway.
This is taken out of context. When Panasonic say "If we stay united I think we will survive"
they are referring to the L-mount alliance Panasonic have with Sigma and Leica, not M43.

Read the article again in DPreview.

I really hope you have read it wrongly and do not have intention
to mislead the rest by quoting something out of context.

There is another a point from this article in DPreview when Panasonic say
"If we stay united I think we will survive"

It shows that Panasonic is facing some challenges by venturing into Full Frame,
despite having a strong alliance with Sigma and Leica.

I am sure Olympus is watching this development very carefully before jumping in.

For those of you who has been criticizing that Olympus should move to full frame,
this is the reason why it has not done so :)

Reactions: sadwitch
Also base on your analogy, seems like its ok for canon to be 20MP and not Olympus? Hmmmm
The correct answer will be given during the Tokyo Olympics to see the number of Canon 1 DX Mk3 used by professionals covering the event.
As compared to Olympus E-M1 Mk3 or E-M1X. If 100 use Canon and 1 use Olympus. Then that is a smack in the face.

It is not OK for normal hobbyist user in the year 2020 for a flag ship.
But we are guessing what may have caused Canon to impose these design parameters, when they could have easily plunked in a 45MP or 61 MP sensor.
Which may slow down the throughput.
Professional sports cameramen have their requirements according to their line of work and the need to beat the competition.

My needs are simple.
I want something small and light with good image quality.
A good lens.
60fps does jackshit for me.
Found it! The Canon G1x Mark 3.
Yup. Image quality not great in low light.... but neither is m43....
And it's smaller and lighter than any Olympus m43 with a kit lens and an EVF..

The correct answer will be given during the Tokyo Olympics to see the number of Canon 1 DX Mk3 used by professionals covering the event.
As compared to Olympus E-M1 Mk3 or E-M1X. If 100 use Canon and 1 use Olympus. Then that is a smack in the face.

It is not OK for normal hobbyist user in the year 2020 for a flag ship.
But we are guessing what may have caused Canon to impose these design parameters, when they could have easily plunked in a 45MP or 61 MP sensor.
Which may slow down the throughput.
Professional sports cameramen have their requirements according to their line of work and the need to beat the competition.

It is also not ok for non-professional driver to own a lamborghini.

Who's the defender right now for canon's crippling decision and shortsightedness for mirrorless cos they totally can do it if they remove the mirror?

My needs are simple.
I want something small and light with good image quality.
A good lens.
60fps does jackshit for me.
Found it! The Canon G1x Mark 3.
Yup. Image quality not great in low light.... but neither is m43....
And it's smaller and lighter than any Olympus m43 with a kit lens and an EVF..

GOOD on you! you've found something that works and i fully support it as you can finally photograph without worrying about gears which should be the aim of any system.

As quoted by Dieter Rams "Less but better"

It must be contagious since Olympus management has also directed their engineers to bark up the wrong (MFT) tree.
Sometimes dogs bark up the wrong tree. And continue even when pointed out.

Other than Canon G1x Mark 3, the A6600, Fuji X-T30 and Nikon Z50 also relatively cheap, small and light. Even the old A6500 will do. All 4 (like the G1x Mark3) have APS-C sensor which is 1.63 times bigger than MFT.

the M43 should be consider not with bigger sensors eg apsc etc.

it is a good option if put side by side with 1inch or similar size that serves mostly the "portable conscious " market. although this market is also decimated by smartphones, a 1% market share here could be much bigger than the 1% market share off the mirrorless market. then olympus can "innovate" with a camera-first-smartphone-2nd concept which was tried by samsung. but i am sure olympus can spin this as an innovation in itself accordingly like their amazing marketing spins of the past.

the m43 is still a good product, but wrong positioning by Olympus.

It must be contagious since Olympus management has also directed their engineers to bark up the wrong (MFT) tree.
Sometimes dogs bark up the wrong tree. And continue even when pointed out.

I asked a simple question which should have a simple answer is yes or no. Yet I got an answer bordering on insults on hardworking engineers.
The state of this forum?

Other than Canon G1x Mark 3, the A6600, Fuji X-T30 and Nikon Z50 also relatively cheap, small and light. Even the old A6500 will do. All 4 (like the G1x Mark3) have APS-C sensor which is 1.63 times bigger than MFT.
Looks like sensor size is your biggest and probably the only concern.
By all means, go and get (or continue to use) a APS-C camera or even a medium format one.
But don't keep on thinking that M43 users are not aware that the sensor is smaller
(you have stressed on this point so many times throughout this forum).

M43 users are aware that the sensor is smaller (and with it comes certain limitations).
M43 users can live with these limitations just like the guy here is happy with the Canon G1x Mk3
(where the lens is fixed and not interchangeable).

M43 users chose this format for other reasons which they find more valuable than a bigger sensor.
Lighter weight is only one of them. When comparing with the Nikon Z50 or Sony 6500, again,
if their limited lenses meet your requirements, then by all means choose them. But dont only
look at the camera body weight. Try fixing a 600mm F4 (35mm equilvalent lens) on the Sony 6500
and tell me if it is lighter than a Olympus EM5.3 with a equivalent lenses.

The topic is whether Olympus would sell off.

The commenters in this forum topic cannot decide the fate of Olympus camera imaging division.
That is up to the world wide market of consumers.
Chances are in the few years after the 2020 Tokyo Olympics something will be done.

Prices of bigger sensors continue to fall.
The smallness of MFT sensor (almost 4 times smaller) compared to Full Frame is a factor that one cannot escape noticing.
With its obvious disadvantages.

2.8% market share of MFT in 2019 proves things have gone downhill for MFT.
MFT market share may be worse in 2020.

New buyers do consider impending death of MFT format and its lack of longevity, before deciding to buy a camera and build a system around it.
Most likely they would choose an APS-C or Full Frame.

This is the reality.

Which is hard for fans who are deeply invested in MFT to accept.
It may be an emotive issue for some.
Only the cold numbers count in the end, to determine the fate of Olympus camera imaging division.

New buyers do consider impending death of MFT format and its lack of longevity, before deciding to buy a camera and build a system around it.
Most likely they would choose an APS-C or Full Frame.

This is the reality.

Which is hard for fans who are deeply invested in MFT to accept.
It may be an emotive issue for some.
Only the cold numbers count in the end, to determine the fate of Olympus camera imaging division.
The A7rIII or A7Riv was initially my dream setup as the resolution and dynamic range is indeed impressive.
However, after looking at my areas of interest, I decided to go for M43. Currently, I have the EM1.3
with 6 M43 lens (Olympus and Panasonic/Leica) and my whole system costs less than the Sony
600mm F4 lens (US$12,900 on B&H) itself.

This thought really comes to my mind. Even if I were to write off my M43 system within this 5 years,
I think I would have enough utility from the system. And I can even afford to write off it more than twice
since the cost is so much lower.

And honestly, when Olympus finally managed to sell of its imaging division, it would only make sense
for the new buyer to continue the format, or they would not have bought it. Hence, realistically speaking,
I am quite sure I can use my M43 system for probably 10 years (I am on my 3rd year year already,
considering I started M43 with my Panasonic G9 which I sold off for a very good price).

By the way, I share a lot of my photos with my family and friends who are not professionals. So far,
none of them has found any faults with the resolution, dynamic range, lower iso etc. as they do not
pixel peep and see them only on their phone, ipad or 65" TV. The M43 system is really good enough
for my "consumer photo needs".

@Pitachu : Great MFT setup which costs like SGD8-10k I am guessing.
If only 10% of MFT users are like you, Olympus the camera company would be making profits, and this thread would not exist :)
In reality, many don't spend that amount on cameras anymore, takeway the professionals, the millionaires, the well-to-do-hobbyist, the-too-much-money-dont-know-what-to-do-crowd etc.
You are the exception. For those in your position, any system is good for them, just that you have chosen MFT.

I believe 99% of the consumers within the camera market does not behave the way you behave and make the decisions you have made with respect to their buying decisions. Hence, we have almost every camera company bleeding in red ink.

Hence, we have this thread.

That has forcasted the sale of Olympus the camera company. But, who will buy?

@Pitachu : Great MFT setup which costs like SGD8-10k I am guessing.
If only 10% of MFT users are like you, Olympus the camera company would be making profits, and this thread would not exist :)
In reality, many don't spend that amount on cameras anymore, takeway the professionals, the millionaires, the well-to-do-hobbyist, the-too-much-money-dont-know-what-to-do-crowd etc.
You are the exception. For those in your position, any system is good for them, just that you have chosen MFT.

I believe 99% of the consumers within the camera market does not behave the way you behave and make the decisions you have made with respect to their buying decisions. Hence, we have almost every camera company bleeding in red ink.

Hence, we have this thread.

That has forcasted the sale of Olympus the camera company. But, who will buy?
Before anyone think that I am a Crazy Rich Asian, no, I am not.
Here is how I got started (and probably for anyone a little serious on photography and like to explore more)

I first got a Panasonic G9 with a
1) 12-60 Leica Lens (Lens worth about $800) for general shooting
2) Then I got a Pansonic 45mm to 200mm ($500) (for 90mm to 400mm) to get started with sports and wild life
3) Then I got Olympus 60mm Macro (about $500) to shoot tiny creatures like butterflies and insects
4) After that, when I am about to visit Japan and Korea fish markets, I got a superwide Leica 8-18mm for $1200
5) After that, I sold my G9 and bought the Olympus 5.3 for $1380
6) When I realized during the Olympus workshop I can defish their 8mm fisheye to 11.5mm super wide, I bought it for $1200
7) Then during 1 more olympus workshop, I got interested in Portrait and bought the 45mm 1.8 for $200 from someone
who got it new but got no use for it.

Total spend about $5,780 over a period of about 3 years (plus maybe $700 if I did not get at the EM5.3 at launch price
and special deal for 45mm 1.8 lens).

I am not against Full Frame or APS, and I personally feel that I probably get 15% to 20% better image quality.
BUT I probably will end up spending 2 to 3 times the price and carrying much heavier equipment.
For me, I think my current MFT system meet what I need at a fraction of the price.

It's okay for anyone to go for Full Frame or APS, but I am very sure not everyone can stretch their budget so high
and want to carry a much heavier system. MFT does have a niche and deserves a place in the market. :)

Last edited:
Well done Pitachu. You are now short of the holy trinity 7-14-12-40 and 40-150 all f2.8 :rolleyes: I am sure you can pick them cheap from the likes of Tommyk, Richoflex. Since they are so stuck on Oly selling out, they should be dumping or have already dumped those.

P.S. Not:eek: going to tell you the stuff I haveo_O

Well done Pitachu. You are now short of the holy trinity 7-14-12-40 and 40-150 all f2.8 :rolleyes: I am sure you can pick them cheap from the likes of Tommyk, Richoflex. Since they are so stuck on Oly selling out, they should be dumping or have already dumped those.
Ha Ha you just make me drool.
Unfortunately the money plant in my flower pot dont produce money, only leaves LOL.

I am actually saving up for the coming 150-400 with TC 1.25
as I am interested to try birding and shoorint wildlife on a safari at the moment :)

I have tried the 40-150 2.8 with 2x telecoverter. It is really nice and relatively light for a 600mm setup
but it is barely enough for birding.