Olympus Pen F Launch - The 'Masterpiece’

24809740194_e066ef7725_b.jpg

Hana.
Pen F, Oly 17 F1.8, Pop Art filter II

Different usage habits lol.

I feel the Pen F seems to be geared towards making Art / Monochrome filters much more accessible to the users now with the inclusion on the front control knob.

Pre-Schooler in SG.

Here in Singapore, children can start 'school' as early as 18 months old under the childcare scheme.
Above this, the premium placed on education means there's a mandated by law minimum 10 years of education for everyone.

25144802510_5c911ce224_o.jpg

‪PenF , Monochrome II Filter, No Grain. ‬

Notes: For this shot, all i did was to turn the front control knob to Monochrome setting and shoot. Users who wish for more controls can even choose Monochrome I (digital) , Monochrome II (Film), or Monochrome II (UV)and the amount of Grains to add within the SuperControlPanel (SCP)

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I just realized the Pen F raw files are not supported by Lightroom. I tried converting it into tiff file in Olympus viewer 3, import the tiff files into Lightroom. Not the best workflow and file sizes for each tiff is astronomical at 60mb. Feeling really disappointed.

Hi everyone, I just realized the Pen F raw files are not supported by Lightroom. I tried converting it into tiff file in Olympus viewer 3, import the tiff files into Lightroom. Not the best workflow and file sizes for each tiff is astronomical at 60mb. Feeling really disappointed.

I noticed whenever new cameras are launched, photo editing softwares will usually need to follow up with upgrades/updates to support them.

As of last week, I think Pen-F's RAW wasn't even suppported the native iPhoto software, yet. Had to install the Olympus Viewer 3, which seems to be the only converter available at the moment.

Let's wish for early updates/upgrades to our fav photo editing softwares :)

Pre-Schooler in SG.

Here in Singapore, children can start 'school' as early as 18 months old under the childcare scheme.
Above this, the premium placed on education means there's a mandated by law minimum 10 years of education for everyone.

‪PenF , Monochrome II Filter, No Grain. ‬

Notes: For this shot, all i did was to turn the front control knob to Monochrome setting and shoot. Users who wish for more controls can even choose Monochrome I (digital) , Monochrome II (Film), or Monochrome II (UV)and the amount of Grains to add within the SuperControlPanel (SCP)

The monochrome II really looks gd in the PEN-F.

The monochrome II really looks gd in the PEN-F.

Thanks !
The sheer amount of customization options for the monochrome shots is enough for one to play around for a while lol.

Imagine:
Monochrome I
Monochrome II
Monochrome III

Each having Red , Orange etc filter
Each allowing u to adjust highlights , shadows
Each allowing u to adjust amount of Grain

And so on.

Does anyone find that the Pen F heats up quickly when in use? Is this normal? You can feel the heat at and around the thumb rest area.

Yes I did find that on pre production set. Mentioned on my review too. Seems the production set has this issue too.

Mine does feel warm after some time.

SWAG

25414019836_435ee5ba07_b.jpg

Pen F, Oly 17/1.8.

The size of the Pen F goes a long way into making it a compact everyday companion. The touchscreen shooting and focusing has become ubiquitous of the MFT system too, allowing one to do a snap unobtrusively.

25506233871_347eec3267_o.jpg

Good Night.

Pen F, Oly 17/1.8

The Pen F's fold out LCD screen helps in shots like this :bsmilie:

25144223810_8677927b81_o.jpg

Pen F, Oly 17/1.8.

Returning the Pen F to boss Wong today :cry:

Returning the Pen F to boss Wong today :cry:

Continuing here haha.

With 17mm, Monochrome mode 2, orange filter. Light grain

With Orange filter. Light Grain. 17mm wide open.

Orange filter.

Red filter, light grain. Very contrasty, great for blue skies

Last edited:
Was using the hi res mode this evening. Noticed some moire-like artefacts on moving objects. Looks like Olympus is not quite there yet.

This is the original photograph.

Screen Shot 2016-03-19 at 11.55.37 PM
by arkitectural photography, on Flickr

The artefacts are clearer if you click on the screen shots and magnify it in Flickr.

Screen Shot 2016-03-19 at 11.57.20 PM

Screen Shot 2016-03-19 at 11.57.38 PM
by arkitectural photography, on Flickr​

Was using the hi res mode this evening. Noticed some moire-like artefacts on moving objects. Looks like Olympus is not quite there yet.

This is the original photograph.

Screen Shot 2016-03-19 at 11.55.37 PM

The artefacts are clearer if you click on the screen shots and magnify it in Flickr.

Screen Shot 2016-03-19 at 11.57.20 PM

Screen Shot 2016-03-19 at 11.57.38 PM
by arkitectural photography, on Flickr​

On closer look on my night shots has these as well, and mainly on night shots. I'll send these shots to Oly SG to have a look too. I suspect that as pixel shift moves the sensor during Hi res mode, those motion blurred areas (due to people or moving objects) somehow got composited into 1 and causes this artefact. On the still objects, it's alright though.

Last edited:
Got a quote for Olympus Pen F Body @ $1635 w/GST cash and carry.
Free gift: 16gb High Speed SD + 64gb High Speed SD + extra original battery
Comes with 15 months warranty from Olympus Singapore

Thank you for sharing. Any changes / drop recently?

Has anyone tried the 12-40 F2.8 with the Pen-F? Seems like a good walkabout...the 7-14 looks tempting too but might be a tad large/heavy and wide as a walkabout. Thoughts?

(thanks in advance!)

Has anyone tried the 12-40 F2.8 with the Pen-F? Seems like a good walkabout...the 7-14 looks tempting too but might be a tad large/heavy and wide as a walkabout. Thoughts?

(thanks in advance!)

I am using both 7014mm and 12-40mm on the Pen F. These lenses are not heavy to me but paired up with the Pen F, the setup will be front heavy. I got the optional handgrip and the camera handles fine with the 12-40mm. The 7-14mm is still a tad unbalanced though.

Ok, thanks for the feedback.

I am using both 7014mm and 12-40mm on the Pen F. These lenses are not heavy to me but paired up with the Pen F, the setup will be front heavy. I got the optional handgrip and the camera handles fine with the 12-40mm. The 7-14mm is still a tad unbalanced though.