Olympus Pen F Launch - The 'Masterpiece’

According to the review, he is getting artefacts even with non-moving subjects.

If non moving, I haven't seen it. I just read the part he mentioned that, though he didn't show the artefacts. I found that even on a stable setup, by pressing the shutter button shake can be induced. It's that sensitive. There's a setting inside the menu to have a delay to the shutter, by having that it helps. Certainly the best is still a cable release or wifi OIS app.

If non moving, I haven't seen it. I just read the part he mentioned that, though he didn't show the artefacts. I found that even on a stable setup, by pressing the shutter button shake can be induced. It's that sensitive. There's a setting inside the menu to have a delay to the shutter, by having that it helps. Certainly the best is still a cable release or wifi OIS app.

Thanks!

Someone commented in his review that the re-res shots were also showing obvious diagonal artefacts. I'm not sure what to look at but since he mentioned it was obvious, I assume it's those gray diagonal shades.....

Thanks!

Someone commented in his review that the re-res shots were also showing obvious diagonal artefacts. I'm not sure what to look at but since he mentioned it was obvious, I assume it's those gray diagonal shades.....

probably, I suppose he went quite close while I do mostly landscapes. Have u tested the HR with your 5DSR? :)

Yeah. I think Olympus kinda reinvented the wheel with the menu. I can never get over their use of symbols. Not when they aren't even universally recognised.

I find the dial to be ok. The middle finger rests just below it.

I'm glad that the dial is okay for you.

On the menus, I wish other companies used the Super Control Panel. The Panasonic Quick Menu keeps me guessing as to whether I actually chose some settings or not, and on the Nikon D7200, there is nothing but an informational display.

I find the main problem with Olympus's menu is that they used their own terminologies and symbols, which is unnecessary. The customisation can also be problematic. 18 types of drive mode marked with symbols?? It's confusing.

Definitely.

Got a quote for Olympus Pen F Body @ $1635 w/GST cash and carry.
Free gift: 16gb High Speed SD + 64gb High Speed SD + extra original battery
Comes with 15 months warranty from Olympus Singapore

Got a quote for Olympus Pen F Body @ $1635 w/GST cash and carry. Free gift: 16gb High Speed SD + 64gb High Speed SD + extra original battery Comes with 15 months warranty from Olympus Singapore

Thanks!

I'm glad that the dial is okay for you.

On the menus, I wish other companies used the Super Control Panel. The Panasonic Quick Menu keeps me guessing as to whether I actually chose some settings or not, and on the Nikon D7200, there is nothing but an informational display.

Just gotten the optional handgrip and the front dial is a little problematic when the grip is attached. The middle finger fits between the dial and the top of the grip. Sometimes, I find my finger "getting caught" on the knurled surface of the dial. Slight irritation.

We had great light this morning and it's perfect for a shoot out. Brought the Pen-F and 5DSR out for a spin in the city. I have attached 2 photographs straight out from each camera. I cropped the Pen-F photograph to 16:9 though. Links to the original files are also provided. Bear in mind that the ambient lighting and focal length used is different but I think the 5DSR will serve as a bench mark to assess the Pen-F. You be the judge.

Thanks wonglp for the M Zuiko 7-14mm f/2.8:)

Merlion Park PEN-F
by arkitectural photography, on Flickr

Olympus Pen-F + M Zuiko 7-14mm f/2.8 at 7mm (high res mode)
Original size https://www.flickr.com/photos/arkitecture/25209166452/sizes/o/

Merlion Park 5DSR Unsharpened
by arkitectural photography, on Flickr

Canon EOS 5DSR + TS-E 17mm f/4L
Original size https://www.flickr.com/photos/arkitecture/24697667594/sizes/o/

Seems like the Pen-F is not a popular choice. Who has gotten it?

Maybe. Though 43rumors guy linked this

I've gotten the pre production back a few days back, will be passing to Keith to have a go. That said, I'm really enjoying shooting monochrome and feeling nice, drawing stares to strap this camera with vintage zuiko pen 38/1.8 :lovegrin:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCU0JaHjuTy/?taken-by=wonglp

Last edited:
Does anyone find that the Pen F heats up quickly when in use? Is this normal? You can feel the heat at and around the thumb rest area.

Just gotten the optional handgrip and the front dial is a little problematic when the grip is attached. The middle finger fits between the dial and the top of the grip. Sometimes, I find my finger "getting caught" on the knurled surface of the dial. Slight irritation.

Agree. I fiddled with it at the shop and desisted acquiring it with the body.

Does anyone find that the Pen F heats up quickly when in use? Is this normal? You can feel the heat at and around the thumb rest area.

I used it for a good 3 hours at the recent Club Olympus outing at the Esplanade and didn't notice the warmth. Perhaps it was rested on the tripod most of the time. Thanks for sharing the experience; will conscientiously pay some attention to it.

Yes I did find that on pre production set. Mentioned on my review too. Seems the production set has this issue too.

Last edited:
24806083874_844dd0221c_b.jpg

Collected the Pen F today ;) gonna put it through a few days of shooting and share my thoughts.

First off, very solid feel in a very compact body with a good set of controls. My only issue so far is the On/Off knob is on the left side but that's something one can get used to.