Official Sony A7 or A7r discussion thread (Season II)

I have the cron now so I am not missing it that much it's the Canon FL 85 f1.8...

Ah. Tat lens. Ltm mount ya?

Lens is nice but no close to cron in term of iq but good lens.

D price difference tells it all doesn't it bro? LOL

Bro Albertri is used to Cron and Lux lenses lah... Only Leica glasses meet his expectations... Haha...

FE 55 doesn't reach yr expectation?? Wow. U need to buy Otus bro.

Bro Albertri is used to Cron and Lux lenses lah... Only Leica glasses meet his expectations... Haha...

No wonder. Leica rulez

FE 55 doesn't reach yr expectation?? Wow. U need to buy Otus bro.

Just kidding bro this lens is very good brief encounter of this lens impressed me

looks like the 70-200 f4 will be available in April, anyone thinking of picking that up?

I will be heading to Serengeti for a safari trip in May, not sure if 200mm is sufficient. I guess I will be in the land rover most of the time, so hopefully it's ok otherwise I might have to rent a SAL70400 G2 for a thousand HKD a week.

looks like the 70-200 f4 will be available in April, anyone thinking of picking that up?

I will be heading to Serengeti for a safari trip in May, not sure if 200mm is sufficient. I guess I will be in the land rover most of the time, so hopefully it's ok otherwise I might have to rent a SAL70400 G2 for a thousand HKD a week.

the OSS will come in handy with the rover moving on uneven terrain but honestly i dont think 200mm is enough reach unless its your lucky day and the wildlife come close enough. I think it all depends on the route the rover takes in the reserve. The last time i went to south africa many many years back, the animals were all at a distance. All i had was a compact and even when zoomed in all the way, the elephant was still just a speck LOL.
From my experience theres no way u can get off the rover once it drives into the safari/reserve.

Last edited:
I wonder if 200mm zoom lenses are selling good ... as Sony keep making them. So far we have 55-210, 18-200, 18-200LE, 18-200PZ, 18-200(Tamron), and the upcoming FE 70-200.

I want an FE 70-400mm, not another 200mm. Otherwise I can just keep using 55-210 with NEX.

Last edited:
Changi Airport Price

2qa3acg.jpg

I wonder if 200mm zoom lenses are selling good ... as Sony keep making them. So far we have 55-210, 18-200, 18-200LE, 18-200(Tamron), and the upcoming FE 70-200.

I want an FE 70-400mm, not another 200mm. Otherwise I can just keep using 55-210 with NEX.

The 18-200 was a video lens with active OSS made for the vg series to begin with. I had it for my nex and while it was awesome for video stabilsation ,it was slow at the tele end when taking photos. The zoom creep really bad too.
The upcoming 70-200G is not your typical 18-200LE or 55-210 to fill up the gap after the 18-55 kit lens.
It's a constant f4 lens and that makes a difference so i dont see it being redundant . It's not always about more range = better, if u realise this lens is already pushing towards the weight of a zeiss 2470 f/2.8 which is already a crapload to carry around so u can tell they are trying to keep the weight below that of their pro-lenses in the a mount alpha line to still make sense for "portability". If they were to make a FE 70-400 which i dont doubt might come, wouldnt that be similar to that of what the a mount g lens that they are already offering. That overlap might not make sense to them. So far, the zooms of the FE are about one stop slower than that of the A mount line and it doesnt cannibalize them. The only way they can make a 70-400f/4.5-5.6 G thats smaller and lighter with oss than the a mount version are compromises. Not sure u would still want that. if you need the 70-400 range on FF, get the a mount ones and there you go.
Say the Fe version releases, its still gonna be a good 1+kg as opposed to your 300+ g 55-210. we're talking about full frame coverage and also a lens thats capable of resolving the a7/r well enough. Food for thought.

Last edited:
the OSS will come in handy with the rover moving on uneven terrain but honestly i dont think 200mm is enough reach unless its your lucky day and the wildlife come close enough. I think it all depends on the route the rover takes in the reserve. The last time i went to south africa many many years back, the animals were all at a distance. All i had was a compact and even when zoomed in all the way, the elephant was still just a speck LOL. From my experience theres no way u can get off the rover once it drives into the safari/reserve.

I guess it would make more sense to rent the 70-400 then...

I don't want to buy the 70-200 then realise can't capture anything... lol... and I don't think they will let me off the rover..