Official Canon EOS 7D User Thread Part I

Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM (Buy Buy Buy)

click on the pic and scroll down. there's exif info

Sorry.... I did not click and enlarge the image... and thanks.

But I did guess partially correctly... I guessed 300mm f4......300mm f2.8 is not cheap.......

Last edited:
Sorry.... I did not click and enlarge the image... and thanks.

But I did guess partially correctly... I guessed 300mm f4......300mm f2.8 is not cheap.......

tele primes are never cheap.. the only one that is "relatively cheap" is the 400mm f/5.6..

Hi, I take it that this thread is a talk-anything-you-like-about-the-7D type of thread right?

I recently just bought a 2nd hand one off my friend. My older camera was a 450D, so I'm kinda taking a while to get used to the 7D's awesomeness =P
Thing is, I noticed this "Battery Information" thing, and it tells you what % the battery is at, along with another or two more information. But what's the green bar battery health thing? How does it translate to real world performance?

Mine's now at 2 green bars, so what does that mean? Any recommendation for my battery options? I only have one LP-E6 (original) which is at 2 green bars. I intend to get another original Canon Battery.

Previously I found 2 batteries on my 450D was good enough for my use, so can I say the same for the 7D? Or does the 7D run out of juice faster?

Relatively speaking, the 300mm F4 is much cheaper... and II is comming....

Hope it comes soon before I give in to temptation and buy the mkI soon. the f/2.8 version is too ex for a hobbyist and I guess since I shoot sports in the day, the f/4 should be good enough...

Hi, I take it that this thread is a talk-anything-you-like-about-the-7D type of thread right?

I recently just bought a 2nd hand one off my friend. My older camera was a 450D, so I'm kinda taking a while to get used to the 7D's awesomeness =P
Thing is, I noticed this "Battery Information" thing, and it tells you what % the battery is at, along with another or two more information. But what's the green bar battery health thing? How does it translate to real world performance?

Mine's now at 2 green bars, so what does that mean? Any recommendation for my battery options? I only have one LP-E6 (original) which is at 2 green bars. I intend to get another original Canon Battery.

Previously I found 2 batteries on my 450D was good enough for my use, so can I say the same for the 7D? Or does the 7D run out of juice faster?

Information on the green bars/square as found on: Canon DLC: Article: Battery Management with the LP-E6 Battery
Battery Performance: It’s a fact that rechargeable batteries have a finite number of charge-discharge-charge cycles they can go through, after which they can begin to lose their ability to hold a charge. While the LP-E6 should allow photographers hundreds of charge-discharge cycles, it’s useful for the working photographer to know whether a battery pack is nearing the end of its useful life after several years of use. The Battery Performance indicator does just that, with a 4-stage icon:

3 Green Squares: Battery is providing full performance each time it’s charged
2 Green Squares: Battery still producing good power each time charged, but not to the level of a brand-new LP-E6 battery pack
1 Green Square: Battery is nearing end of its useful life; full recharge will not deliver performance matching a new LP-E6 battery
1 Red Square: Battery has reached the end of its useful life, and should be discarded and replaced with a new LP-E6 battery pack. Recharging or re-conditioning will not enhance its performance.

2 green squares is what my current 2 batteries also show. And considering my 7D has been my primary camera since I last got it when it first hit Singapore in 2009, I would say it would take another a few more years before the batteries come to the end of its lifespan (unless you burn shutter like crazy every other day).

Hope it comes soon before I give in to temptation and buy the mkI soon. the f/2.8 version is too ex for a hobbyist and I guess since I shoot sports in the day, the f/4 should be good enough...

Better wait for the mkII.... I read the mkI is not that great..... but expect a price hike I suppose..........

f/2.8 is for those RICH "L" class hobbist.... we are the economy "L" class hobbist..... :bsmilie:

Halfmoon said:
Better wait for the mkII.... I read the mkI is not that great..... but expect a price hike I suppose..........

f/2.8 is for those RICH "L" class hobbist.... we are the economy "L" class hobbist..... :bsmilie:

Was hunting around in B&S but even after 20 pages, I still can't find. Wonder how the sigma 300 f/2.8 performs...

Kenneth83 said:
Was hunting around in B&S but even after 20 pages, I still can't find. Wonder how the sigma 300 f/2.8 performs...

I think it might not be so on in the first place, n those buyer tend to keep it...... but when II is out, might see a lot on bns....

I will avoid third party usually....

I think it might not be so on in the first place, n those buyer tend to keep it...... but when II is out, might see a lot on bns....

I will avoid third party usually....

there is no mention that the sigma 300 f/2.8 is weather sealed so yeah i think i will give it a miss and i hear horror stories of the EX coating. Too bad the sigma 120-300 f/2.8 (weather sealed according to sigma) is almost 4k which is more than double of the 300 f/4L. Guess my alternative is to use the 1.4x extender onto my 70200 f/2.8L

there is no mention that the sigma 300 f/2.8 is weather sealed so yeah i think i will give it a miss and i hear horror stories of the EX coating. Too bad the sigma 120-300 f/2.8 (weather sealed according to sigma) is almost 4k which is more than double of the 300 f/4L. Guess my alternative is to use the 1.4x extender onto my 70200 f/2.8L

Gotta be patient lor..... no point buy a lens then upgrade.... will spend more money....

So I usually will see photozone.de and if the lens is damn good, then, I will buy....

Like 100mm non-L.... though L come out, the non-L is still holding its ground, so no point for me to buy or upgrade.....

If 50mm f/1.4, though images is good, but micro USM is unreliable... if have a new 50mm f1/4 with full USM... I bet a lot of people will buy it still!!!

Of course.... then, you have the mega RICH hobbist will buy everything that is new.... :D

Thanks Kenneth83 for the reply!

Btw, guys, one more question. Does anyone know what the dedicated AF processor on the EOS 7D is? Maybe a previous generation DiG!C 3 or DiG!C 2?

Thanks Kenneth83 for the reply!

Btw, guys, one more question. Does anyone know what the dedicated AF processor on the EOS 7D is? Maybe a previous generation DiG!C 3 or DiG!C 2?

to my knowledge, there isn't. I got a feeling (although I might be wrong cos I dun work in Canon) that the 2 Digic 4 shares the load to handle everything. Not that it matters to me cos the only time it has failed to track stuff for me in AI Servo is cos of user error.

Just got my 7D few weeks back. Aiming for the EF-S10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM & EF70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM to add to my collection then my set up is complete.

to my knowledge, there isn't. I got a feeling (although I might be wrong cos I dun work in Canon) that the 2 Digic 4 shares the load to handle everything. Not that it matters to me cos the only time it has failed to track stuff for me in AI Servo is cos of user error.

Icic... I know the official release states that there is a dedicated AF processor in the 7D. It just doesn't state what it is, and whether it's a DiG!C or not.
The 1Dx has a DiG!C 4 dedicated for AF.

Icic... I know the official release states that there is a dedicated AF processor in the 7D. It just doesn't state what it is, and whether it's a DiG!C or not.
The 1Dx has a DiG!C 4 dedicated for AF.

correct me if i am wrong but the digic 4 on the 1Dx is for metering only?

Dedicated DIGIC 4 processor for exposure metering calculations
source: http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/product/cameras/eos-1d_x.do

Last edited:
correct me if i am wrong but the digic 4 on the 1Dx is for metering only?

Oh right, my bad. 1Dx's DiG!C 4 is for AE, but the 1Dx has it's own (also unspecified like the 7D) dedicated processor for AF. Looks like Canon doesn't specify how powerful the AF processors for its cameras are...

The 'Official 7D' thread has been on a respirator for 3 months. Is there anyone who owns a 7D anymore or have we all upgraded to the Canon 5D Mk3?

raydio said:
The 'Official 7D' thread has been on a respirator for 3 months. Is there anyone who owns a 7D anymore or have we all upgraded to the Canon 5D Mk3?

I'm still happy with my 7d, though planning to get a used 5d mk II by end of this year...
But i'll still keep da 7d for sure, still lots to explore with my 7d