OFFICIAL: CANON EOS 5D Mark III - User Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The light leak issue is real. Even with a lens attached, but with lens cap on, the issue can be replicated. It should not have happened for a camera of this price. The real problem is not light leaking from the light of your top lcd panel. It is the light leaking in from outside the camera, i.e even if the top lcd light is off, your ambient light will affect the metering. That means, if you do the test in outdoor, you will get different exposure value just by using your hand to shelter the top lcd panel. Some people say canon probably have compensated for it. That IMHO, is rubbish. Some people have the light leak, some don't. So how does canon know which has it or which doesn't? How will canon know which to compensate, which not to?

However, from my limited testing yesterday, it DOES NOT CAUSE ANY REAL PROBLEM. Not even metering issue. Why? This is because the problem is only repeatable with both the lens cap and viewfinder cover on. That probably means it only happens in complete darkness. Anyway, if one is shooting with the lens cap on, the light leakage is probably your last problem.

BUT wouldn't that mean if I was shooting low light, like city scape at night, the problem will affect me? Nope, unless you belong to the 0.1% of canon users who will actually use the primitive 1960s style viewfinder cover for a short 10s exposure. Anyway, for such shots, I will rather trust myself than the metering system. For anything longer and the really really really low light, like 200 seconds bulb mode long exposure, you are using bulb mode...which means you are the metering system...

At the end of the day, it does not affect anymore in real world usage. Come on... Nobody bloody shoots with a lens cap on.

Stop finding fault in the camera lah aiyoh...

chengpenguin said:
At the end of the day, it does not affect anymore in real world usage. Come on... Nobody bloody shoots with a lens cap on.

I agree. But some people got nothing better to do than to do such tests that aren't real world specific. Oh wait. Maybe they shoot pinhole images :p

I don't think it's a problem that is going to have any meaningful implications on real world usage. For e.g, nothing like the AF issues that plagued the 1D3 when it was launched. I can't even be bothered to test my set to see if mine has this issue. That said, I am curious to hear what canon has to say about it.

finding fault ah.. I think the biggest fault is Canon launching 5D3 without launching the BG-E11, wth!!!!!! can I write a complain letter to the CEO?

If anyone's interested, I found these while going through my pictures taken in Tokyo. Taken with a Sigma 50mm F1.4 in Yodobashi Camera they had on open display. All taken with aperture priority at F2.8 because I forgot to change the setting when I swapped lenses. Last one was taken in Live View to try the manual focus.

sigma50.jpg

Who has bought the extended warranty for $50 off yet?

I don't think it's a problem that is going to have any meaningful implications on real world usage. For e.g, nothing like the AF issues that plagued the 1D3 when it was launched. I can't even be bothered to test my set to see if mine has this issue. That said, I am curious to hear what canon has to say about it.

I agree. I don't think there are any real world implications with this issue.

In fact I think the 5D MkII has the same characteristic. Has anyone tried this test with their 5D2?

If anyone's interested, I found these while going through my pictures taken in Tokyo. Taken with a Sigma 50mm F1.4 in Yodobashi Camera they had on open display. All taken with aperture priority at F2.8 because I forgot to change the setting when I swapped lenses. Last one was taken in Live View to try the manual focus.

sigma50.jpg

Is it me or is focus off for all three shots?

For the light leak issue, it happens with the 5D2 as well. That did not seem to stop great pics being taken for 3 years. Seems like this is being blown out of proportion. Maybe by Nikon who are trying to draw attention away from their D800 problem where the left side focus points don't work with wide angle lenses.

Just sharing some pics of the 5D3 with the new hardcover screen protector. Looks pretty slick imo. They can be acquired from SGCamerastore.

Nashaz said:
Just sharing some pics of the 5D3 with the new hardcover screen protector. Looks pretty slick imo. They can be acquired from SGCamerastore.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76974124@N03/6909647508/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76974124@N03/6909647338/

Is this the Hercules brand? Does it stick outside the screen thus giving you no blockage of the entire 3.2" screen? Any reflection or loss of contrast?

Thanks! :)

Yup thats the one. Correct, it doesn't block any portion of the screen. There is abit of glare though its not as bad as the cheaper film type screen protectors and its still easy to view in direct sunlight.

Will it scratch and it be hard to see ...
Like SGP or Powersupport Iphone screen protector. Even if it is pretty scratch up. It still as clear as day.

Can't really comment on that as of now as i have yet to encounter such issues. But from its construction it seems quite resistant to light scratches. Would take quite abit to get a deep gash in that. Something that even the thinner screen protectors wont be able to protect the LCD from.

Last edited:
Can't really comment on that as of now as i have yet to encounter such issues. But from its construction it seems quite resistant to light scratches. Would take quite abit to get a deep gash in that. Something that even the thinner screen protectors wont be able to protect the LCD from.

I'm using the Hercules protector too.
I'm not sure how "resistant" it is to deep scratches but one thing's for sure, glass is definitely going to be more resistant than flim type protectors so no worries..Besides, i think we will all take super good care of our babies..won't even allow it to get scratched hehe..

i do like the hercules protector on, felt much safer has i know a hard plastic is protecting my lcd.

May i ask if any one get any freebie(s) when they purchased the 5dmk3 body only set?

I got nothing..i know some shops give away freebies but the shop i got it from gave nothing other than the fact i was the first few in SG to get it on launch night :)In fact i also believe i paid more than other shops..but at least i got it..

Canon's not offering any freebies of any sort with the MkIII. You can check their site for the promos they are offering now.

I got nothing..i know some shops give away freebies but the shop i got it from gave nothing other than the fact i was the first few in SG to get it on launch night :)In fact i also believe i paid more than other shops..but at least i got it..
Hmm.. you get to be the first few to own it! :D

Canon's not offering any freebies of any sort with the MkIII. You can check their site for the promos they are offering now.
Hmm.. i see.
Reason why i am asking this is i was given an EOS Billingham lookalike bag (purple) that is purple in color with EOS insignia sew onto it... They say it's free and it was handed to me without even asking for any.

Status
Not open for further replies.