OFFICIAL: CANON EOS 5D Mark III - User Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like most 5D3 users are out shooting now, and very quiet now.....

I have to agree..the video feature hasn't improved from the mk2 much..quite disappointing really with the other brands in the market much better now. Seems like Canon has spent so much effort in the ISO game, they forgot why the Mk2 was such a success in the first place. thank goodness i don't do video hehe..if not i would've been disappointed as well.

Seems like most 5D3 users are out shooting now, and very quiet now.....

Haha, yep..most are out shooting..

Anyways, i thought i post something with regards to "colours" in JPG from the mk3
541511_10150629249922861_532212860_9289843_569170824_n.jpg

hmm, the hdr feature in the cam is nice but not quite good if you intend to upload hi res hdr.

the align function in the cam is not very accurate.

think best is to use photomatix, can have ghosting done too.

hdr by 5d3

MG4C0033.JPG

Full Res

hdr by photomatix

MG4C0030_1_2_fused.jpg

Full Res

Any idea which is better, 5d3 vs 1d4 at iso12800? And overall image quality?

Exhaust said:

Personally, i think there is no fight between these 2. I never felt that 1D4 was anything better than 5D2 in terms of ISO.

So...5D3 is better at all ISOs. So is the image quality.

Exhaust said:

chengpenguin said:
Personally, i think there is no fight between these 2. I never felt that 1D4 was anything better than 5D2 in terms of ISO.

I agree with Bro chengpenguin. One is a crop, the other FF and FF have better ISO quality. I never read anything that 1D4 has better ISO control than 5D2 and that should extend ver to 5D3 as well.

Having own both the 1D4 and 5D2, the 1D4 is about the same as the 5D2 in terms of ISO quality, not better.

see that 5Diii has both CF and SD slots. Can a SD->CF adaptor be used, so that i can have 2 SD cards slotted into the camera?

Bringing in some news on the BG-E11:

I think many of you know that B&H's pre-order is at $349USD which is about $450SGD.
I did a check with Japan's RRP, it's $29,000JPY which is also about $450SGD

Now this is interesting. We have known that SG's RRP pricing is usually in between US and JP's pricing, but this time round, it is the same. If this is true, we may see that the street price be around $300 plus, which is the same range as BG-E6.

Good news or not? Up to you to decide! :bsmilie:

EDIT: JP launch date is 27/4/12. In wonder will SG be earlier or around the same.. Canon say call in to check end April. Hmm...

Last edited:

I think many of you know that B&H's pre-order is at $349USD which is about $450SGD.

Now this is interesting. We have known that SG's RRP pricing is usually in between US and JP's pricing, but this time round, it is the same. If this is true, we may see that the street price be around $300 plus, which is the same range as BG-E6.

I have been advised that Canon is STILL in the process of placing orders from Japan.. and was invited to check pricing again end April. Looks like I may have to pay $29,000JPY to get it directly from Japan then.. I'm too accidcted to BG already. :(

but will tio GST if get from overseas right? cos i also wanna get the BG as it feels weird in my hands without it :(

but will tio GST if get from overseas right? cos i also wanna get the BG as it feels weird in my hands without it :(

btw refer to my update on the above post, posted the launch date in JP - 27/4/12.

dun think will tio GST. I always order CDs from Amazon JP that SG doesn't carry, never had a time I tio GST. Usually if you order before noon, they can process within same day, and usually within 12hrs the parcel will reach SG already. Very fast one. Haha.

You will have to pay GST if the total value of the package exceeds S$400. By total value, it means the cost of the good(s) AND any applicable shipping & handling and insurance charges.

avsquare said:

EDIT: JP launch date is 27/4/12. In wonder will SG be earlier or around the same.. Canon say call in to check end April. Hmm...

esoeij said:
You will have to pay GST if the total value of the package exceeds S$400. By total value, it means the cost of the good(s) AND any applicable shipping & handling and insurance charges.

Wah that is great news indeed! By the way, how many will be buying the grip since the 5Diii is already heavier than 5Dii, adding the grip will be lagi heavier! Bro avsquare muscleman i understand :p, but what about us lesser mortals? :p

btw refer to my update on the above post, posted the launch date in JP - 27/4/12.

dun think will tio GST. I always order CDs from Amazon JP that SG doesn't carry, never had a time I tio GST. Usually if you order before noon, they can process within same day, and usually within 12hrs the parcel will reach SG already. Very fast one. Haha.

Guess if the launch date overseas is close to sg than i will just wait for my fav shop to call me since i put my name on the waiting list liaos for the BG-E11 and 600EX

at 12,800 the result is obvious.
the 5D3 wins hands down.
if your main concern is ISO performance,then no need to think twice.

Last edited:
I agree with Bro chengpenguin. One is a crop, the other FF and FF have better ISO quality. I never read anything that 1D4 has better ISO control than 5D2 and that should extend ver to 5D3 as well.

i had never own the 5D2 before,but i compared images of 5D2 found in websites,i would say the 1D4 and 5D2 are pretty much comparable or on par.
and also based on the ISO test taken for the 5D3,i feel that it has a leap of 1.5-2 stops advantage over the 1D4 in Jpeg format.
this is similar result over the 5D2 which was rated up to 2 stops handicapped over the 5D3.

Last edited:
Hmm.. SGD$400, sure exceed one, unless I go for free shipping. Amazon now giving offer, 18% off for pre-order, which is about JPY$25k yen, converted to SGD is about $385.

I'm sure to keep watch on the launch date and pricing movement of both JP and SG.

BTW, here's another update on BG-E11:

I asked Canon's technical side on whether the use of BG-E11 will affect weather sealing or not.

IDK - from the tone of the adviser, doesn't sound too positive. He says that it will not affect 5D3's weather sealing. When asked about whether the BG-E11 is weather sealed or not, his answer was "in a way".

Whether to take the risk or not? Your judgment :)

if want full weather seal, pls get the 1 series. adding the grip to the camera will make it less than full weather seal. the battery compartment and the part that goes into the camera has some foam but water can still seep in if its not tightened or for prolonged periods i feel.

will stick with not using grip for this cam. i got it cos its lighter than my 1d mk iii.

if want full weather seal, pls get the 1 series. adding the grip to the camera will make it less than full weather seal. the battery compartment and the part that goes into the camera has some foam but water can still seep in if its not tightened or for prolonged periods i feel.

will stick with not using grip for this cam. i got it cos its lighter than my 1d mk iii.

Indeed, since the vertical grip for 1 Series is integrated.

I think some bros have the same qn for 5D3, so I just asked Canon about it. I was thinking the same thing as you - water may still enter the cam via the battery compartment of the cam if the grip is not screwed tightly. Even so, the grip may loosen from time to time and we need to ensure that the grip is screwed tightly to the body.

And I do not really think that BG has any kind of weather sealing capabilities.. and I don't think the BG's battery compartment is weather sealed too.

But the thing is, some of us really need the vertical grip just because we shoot verticals frequently. And buying a 1D because of this, is kind of silly :p

Status
Not open for further replies.