Official 5D User Thread - Part 2

why not consider the 6D over the 5D2 if you are looking for a new camera and don't wanna get the mark 3?

I agree with Ricleo. The Canon 5D2 is a great camera but it is quite old for a brand new purchase. It has been out of production for at least 2 years and I would be very surprised if any remain in shops. You'd be better off shopping the B&S forum for a lightly used, almost new 5D2. If a used camera is not your thing, then a brand new Canon 6D is just as good in almost every respect if not better in most.

Guys, is it virtually impossible to find a brand new 5d mk 2 in shops now? :(

Any particular reason for the 5D II? I can understand ppl want the 5D for the film look (from its CCD sensor). If the 5D2, I thought the current 5DIII and the 6D would be a better choice?

The only benefit of the 5D2 over 6D I can think of is the maximum shutter speed of 1/8000s on the 5D2 vs 1/4000s on the 6D, and a more developed magic lantern firmware for video on the 5D2 vs the 6D, or if you prefer CF card over SD card.

6D wins on almost everything else. AF, lowlight, LCD, size/weight, newer processor.

Right, because actually I have been considering the 5d mk2 for quite some time. Been using it for the last four years in NTU. So used to it, now that I've graduated, thought of purchasing one.

I was reading reviews on the 6D and am not too sure about it. I've tried the 5d mk3 several times in school too but I don't quite like the feel and its price is pretty off the charts.

I will look more into the 6D then. Thanks for the advice. :)

5D with the Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Zoom lens a side track from my usual Zeiss lens. Need a feel of Canon lens.

14747791374_cd48d92e7f_k_d.jpg

Last edited:
Right, because actually I have been considering the 5d mk2 for quite some time. Been using it for the last four years in NTU. So used to it, now that I've graduated, thought of purchasing one.

I was reading reviews on the 6D and am not too sure about it. I've tried the 5d mk3 several times in school too but I don't quite like the feel and its price is pretty off the charts.

I will look more into the 6D then. Thanks for the advice. :)

coming from a 5D/5D2 I didn't like the 6D it feels very different.

hi everyone, i understand that the EOL is up for the 5D and 5D2. if i want to get either one of this can i still find someone or somewhere that does maintenance for it?

Any particular reason for the 5D II? I can understand ppl want the 5D for the film look (from its CCD sensor). If the 5D2, I thought the current 5DIII and the 6D would be a better choice?
5D (classic) has CMOS sensor, as does MkII and MK III…. 5D does have somewhat bigger photo sites though. and a distinctive look right out of the camera (jpg wise its pretty good).

5D (classic) has CMOS sensor, as does MkII and MK III…. 5D does have somewhat bigger photo sites though. and a distinctive look right out of the camera (jpg wise its pretty good).

You are right. Somehow it gave the impression it was a CCD sensor just like the way my older cameras gave me.

hi everyone, i understand that the EOL is up for the 5D and 5D2. if i want to get either one of this can i still find someone or somewhere that does maintenance for it?

I think csc still has parts for 5D2.. not sure about 5D.

At the price of a 5D now, I think you can just get another 2nd hand one if the one you have breaks down.
To me, its a very nice camera for people shots, just very good looking skin tones.

At the price of a 5D now, I think you can just get another 2nd hand one if the one you have breaks down.
To me, its a very nice camera for people shots, just very good looking skin tones.

Glad that I did not let it go after acquiring the 5D3 no regrets what so ever.