Ode to the Officers of our Singapore Armed Forces

Status
Not open for further replies.
In all battles, historically or those happening in real world, who is actually running on the ground -getting the job done? Do you see US Colonals or Captains running on the ground shooting at Iraqi insurgents? No, you see rankless conscripts and men putting their lives on the line.

Now tell me who got the shortest end of the stick?

Heh, the problem is you don't see.

You only see what the media chooses to let you see, and that is hardly objective or complete.

The "rankless" conscripts are not THAT dumb to put their lives on the line without being led out, no?

After see this thread...i should congrat SAF.

Well done to SAF, to comissioned another young and naive officer. :vhappy::vhappy::vhappy:

yep, can see the TS got his priorities all wrong.

I was in 30SCE -1992, we also trained nearly a year (including mono-intake BMT), everyday is hell, everyday is tekan day..even when turn operational, still very strict, AND we help each other out and fulfilled each other duties and SERVE our nation out..

i am so glad u dropped out. Cos the bar is now sitting on someone more worthy. ;)

but imagine if after your 10years probation and you fail to get the contract offer from SAF, GG to you.

nowadays, they worked like a private company, given fixed budgets and had to produce maximum output from their respective cost centres ... meet KPIs and service levels.. etc... many job roles were outsourced to non-uniform sub-govt companies.

yes, they dun retrench people, but they can suggest early retirement schemes to those old, outdated and expensive ones.

Last edited:
my 2 friends were attached to a combat engineer unit during their nsf OCS stint, both involved in bridge-building and demolition teams.
one of them complained that bridge-building and the 7 min-time out were the toughest training they ever encounter.
but sadly one of them got a burst ear drum during a demolition exercise and had to downgrade thus losing the chance to be an officer while the other eventually finish his role.

after hearing all these stuff, i got to say combat engineers are really the toughest sai gang warriors in the army, got to respect them.

on the other hand, sad to hear that your ICT officer wasn't quite up to the mark while in thailand.

SCE ok lah..cos we have never tasted what is a relaxing NS life from the start..so nothing to compare..that is why the non-mono intakes privates all keng downgrades...while the mono-intake ones just shoulder on.

i am so sad they de-com the RGB:cry:

Bridging and siong, you from Candace?
Thought Candace already phased out?
I was from Candace platoon too, 35SCE.
Then converted to Barge. :)

We're the field engineers, land bridging, 30 SCE.

When NS time, we are trained in a bridge called MGB, now phased out liao.
During ICT, we're trained in a super old and also another phased out bridge, called APB (Acrow Panel Bridge).

Funny right, reservist training built bridge that are no longer operational :dunno:

Wah... Combat Engineer...

Respect, respect.

(SOCE and SCE HQ is just next to my camp, so I'm quite intimate with the crap they go through)

Haha, you got see trainees carry bridging parts run SOC or not? I kena once, 4 persons carry a 100 over kg bridging component and told to run the SOC route, cause we screwed up.

Wah piang, sibeh xiong ah. But run a bit come back liao, cause very luan, officer cannot spot us :bsmilie:

During ICT, we're trained in a super old and also another phased out bridge, called APB (Acrow Panel Bridge).

Funny right, reservist training built bridge that are no longer operational :dunno:

All these "phased-out" bridges are never truly phased-out.

When all the new bridges tio chui, the old ones will see sunlight again. :bsmilie:

Haha, you got see trainees carry bridging parts run SOC or not? I kena once, 4 persons carry a 100 over kg bridging component and told to run the SOC route, cause we screwed up.

Wah piang, sibeh xiong ah. But run a bit come back liao, cause very luan, officer cannot spot us :bsmilie:

I think it was a lot worse when SOCE was NOT co-located with SCE HQ! :bsmilie:

Seems like alot are from SCE eh? :bsmilie:

Back to topic, i'm lucky that all the PCs i encountered cared for their men.
During exercise the PCs also go down to the water build raft with us.
That's why most of our platoon people respect them, rest together, shack together.

Seems like alot are from SCE eh? :bsmilie:

Back to topic, i'm lucky that all the PCs i encountered cared for their men.
During exercise the PCs also go down to the water build raft with us.
That's why most of our platoon people respect them, rest together, shack together.

~faint~ so many SCE here.......lol

I going MR soon....but next year still need to go thailand.....:sweat::sweat:

~faint~ so many SCE here.......lol

I going MR soon....but next year still need to go thailand.....:sweat::sweat:

My reservist unit told us we no need go Thailand already.
Cos we already went during NSF, dunno how true is it.
But i kinda miss Sai Yok Camp. haha. :bsmilie:

These commandos did not salute me, they were my platoon mates in OCS. And I would give my hat off and follow them into battle.

That is also what I said, NDU and CDO are tough chaps and I would gladly salute them.

But when someone thinks OCS is a piece of cake then I would like to ask them what they did in NS.

i would like to ask if the commandos salute your rank or salute you as a leader ?
or perhaps you haven't heard of what the cdo and ndu personal had to go through just to pass out ?

most ppl passing out from these units would prefer their own unit officer to lead them rather than someone with no ndu/cdo roots.
respect has to be earn through training, where only the fittest can lead the elite.

Wah 30 SCE. Jurong camp turn right=hell. :bsmilie: Luckly, I turn left and go heaven or at least, more relaxing life.

During NSF days, the officers in my coy and unit are not too bad. Everyone have flaws but non are those sadist type. But maybe my PC will disagree cos my OC gave him hell for a period of time. Not all officers have a relax time. Those junior officers like 2LT and LTA have to lead their men into combat and take crap from their bosses.

I go to camp for 3 days and this is what happens! Hot topic eh? hahaha.

Anyway I have said my piece, and I would like to add that being awarded "platoon best" in BMT, I would like to think I have enough leadership capability and aptitude as a soldier, but chose not to. That said, I ooc from ocs because of a lingering migraine which got worse and I wasn't prepared for it to get worse while I waited for that one bar to come.

Oh anyone got stuck on SLE from Woodlands going towards CTE at Upper Thomson? That was my car! Rght hind tyre burst. Skidded from Lane 1 to Lane 3 after spinning 2 rounds. No casualty, accident or damage to car(s). Urm, extremely lucky? I'm thankful now! So thankful my ORD date doesn't seem so long anymore HAHA

nope, I have lazy eye, causes the migraines. It was bad in BMT, told my PC, but he never believe. MRI got proof, quite serious. But now peaceful vocation, so not as bad le

i got a friend with lazy eye during his secondary school days...declare pes E after 6 months of consideration by the MO at cmpb.
instant MR after he ord...

Mine not so serious. Luckily. I would rather be a Pes C than to live with the conditions the people with Pes E have!

Oh anyone got stuck on SLE from Woodlands going towards CTE at Upper Thomson? That was my car! Rght hind tyre burst. Skidded from Lane 1 to Lane 3 after spinning 2 rounds. No casualty, accident or damage to car(s). Urm, extremely lucky? I'm thankful now! So thankful my ORD date doesn't seem so long anymore HAHA

from SLE to woodlands ave 10 exit, got quite a no of personal from sembawang camp 1st transport and some divers lose their lives over that stretch of road while on their motorbikes.

i remembered during my time in ndu, got 1 diver regular passed away due to an accident on that stretch of road.
my batch did some part in contributing "white gold" for the poor guy.

drive slowly along that stretch especially when the road is wet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.