Nuclear power is to way to go to save earth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
best way is for human being to go extinct, thats when earth will be able to heal itself.

the problem is from the point of no return to the time of extinction... suffering.

Did you read the news a couple of days back? There's this element/compound called Helium-3 that is found on the moon. Through the cold fusion process, 6cu-tonne can yield enough energy to power UK for a year.

The Russians are rushing to the moon to mine it commercially. The US was initially reluctant (probably from Oil lobbying), but they too realised that they cannot lose out on this race. So NASA will be going up to mine also.

It should be a viable energy source in around the mid of this century. It won't be any earlier because they cannot do cold fusion in such a large scale because we are technologically not quite there yet.

So, I think the moon will save the earth.

as long as there's a moon left after mankind raided it.

Firstly... I tot there's a need to clear up some misconception about Chernobyl. It happened because of a poorly managed "experiment".

http://www.uic.com.au/nip22.htm

Impact was bad, but not as bad as one think.

Even the sites where the 2 atomic bombs were detonated are relatively "rebuilted". Tho the radiation and physchological effects are still lingering.

so how bad is it to be considered bad?

i think the comparison to the atomic bombed cities is an inaccurate one.

destruction from atomic bomb is not only from the nuclear radiation.

for example in the case of 'Little Boy' in Hiroshima, 0.2 sec to 3 sec after explosion, large amounts of infra-red radiation are released (heat rays) and the atmospheric temperature of the affected area rose to 3000-4000 degrees celcius. 50% of the energy released from the bomb also actually comprised of shock waves. when 'Little Boy' exploded the atmospheric pressure rose to 30ton/square metre, explaining why hardly any buildings were left standing (either shocked to smithereens or totally burnt) shock waves reached 3.6km away in 10 secs after explosion as well. basically it's total destruction manifested, complete with all the physical and psychological after effects on top of that.

for chernobyl's case, it's more of nuclear radiation related health problems, which are not immediate, may not lead to fatalities, and is more than just physical (trauma of large scale resettlement, mental stresses from medical tests etc.)

anyway, i'll just put the link of the photo essay here (warning: disturbing images) http://inmotion.magnumphotos.com/essays/chernobyl.aspx

tiberium is the way.

How bout build a nuclear plant on the moon? But then how to transfer the engery back to earth, laser beams?

How bout build a nuclear plant on the moon? But then how to transfer the engery back to earth, laser beams?

quantum battery packs.

Did you read the news a couple of days back? There's this element/compound called Helium-3 that is found on the moon. Through the cold fusion process, 6cu-tonne can yield enough energy to power UK for a year.

The Russians are rushing to the moon to mine it commercially. The US was initially reluctant (probably from Oil lobbying), but they too realised that they cannot lose out on this race. So NASA will be going up to mine also.

It should be a viable energy source in around the mid of this century. It won't be any earlier because they cannot do cold fusion in such a large scale because we are technologically not quite there yet.

now, wasnt this used in the Japanese comic book "Moonlight Mile"? Then later whole bunch of politics get thrown into it and trigger WWIII and everyone goes to hell. :bsmilie:

mankind never learn from our own mistake, take and take thinking no problem. 1st, killing the earth (20years more to point of no return). now we want to kill the moon also.:dunno:

they show's footage shows a village at india near the sea, the water level kept raising, especially fast over the past 5years (it was shot before the great tisunami). the entire village had to relocate afew times, pulling further and further inland.

instead of thinking how to create more energy, why not think of how to REDUCE energy consumption. Sometimes it works better the other way round.

Every individual counts. If it doesn't starts from you, then who?

I agree with TMC, we all deserve to die.

economic = energy.

we can start to change our live style to reduce the energy consumption and waste generated. but that will only do so much as to delay the point of no return (ofcause that is better than we doing nothing). hopefully with the delay, mankind can develope practical alternative way to generate energy without killing the earth.

let's just hope that nuclear fusion tech can be up asap. They can now do it under small scale but not at large scale as they can't seem to control it. With fusion tech, basically the waste will just be H2O.

The chernobyl incident was an example of the Russians saving little money and looking for big trouble. The concrete golf ball like thingy protecting the reactor is suppose to contain a meltdown if it were to occur. That concrete protection is said to be able to take even passenger airplane crashes (so those people thinking of doing so, might wanna consider some other plans).

But seriously, like us just be honest with ourselves. How much parts are we putting in the energy conservation? Computers, air-con blasting and (camera :confused:). We can only do our part by doing them ourselves and educating them to our future generations (and hope that they listen). On the bigger scale, i guess there is little we can do. I almost all political decisions, economic factors can be seen as the vital factor.

there are afew quote i copied from a art exhibition that i will like to share :

1) only when the last tree has withered, the last fish caught, last river been poisoned, will we realise we cannot eat money.

2) we do not inherit the earth from our ancestor, we borrow it from our children.

1) only when the last tree has withered, the last fish caught, last river been poisoned, will we realise we cannot eat money.

2) we do not inherit the earth from our ancestor, we borrow it from our children.

1) .............but before that, money can buy glucose drinks, artifical food, and pills.
2) .............earth is what we inherited from our ancestors. space stations are what we give to our children.

These quotes are Native American Indian in origin I think.

We can tell everyone to save energy reduce energy consumption, but you know that will never happen.

We can try to prevent building nuclear power, but you know thats going to be ignored.

The only way is to by some miracle, transform Earth back to pre-19th century, before the age of industrialisation, but that is impossible:bsmilie: :sticktong

Yes, when I read that I was rather amused.... Helium-3 was the basis for the long running anime Gundam. It was quoted as a clean source of energy for compact nuclear fusion. never thought it would happen in real life. So the race for the moon begins again....

Then maybe later, all nuclear waste would be stored on the moon in a moonbase called Alpha... But that is another story....:bsmilie:

A meltdown is no small matter and it is not a small price to pay. Nuclear plants require trained staff and maintanence which some countries, wont name any names dont have. Corruption, neglect all contribute to an ticking timebomb. A meltdown is akin to a nuclear blast. For those who dont know what is a nuclear blast just look at Hiroshima.....

Nuclear plants produce nuclear waste which is highly dangerous and we then have a problem of where to dispose of nuclear waste.

Nuclear plants too can be a source of bomb grade material for nuclear bombs, going back to first para, with corruption and neglect, one cannot guarantee the material wont fall into the hands of terrorists.

Then the political issue, who controls who can have or who cannot have nuclear plants? Are we going to allow every country to have one or we restrict it to countries that have certain status. And are they going to then use this power to control policies?

Hence Nuclear power will only open up a pandora's box in my opinon.

instead of thinking how to create more energy, why not think of how to REDUCE energy consumption. Sometimes it works better the other way round.

Every individual counts. If it doesn't starts from you, then who?

I agree with TMC, we all deserve to die.

this is actually the best way to find energy for the future! Energy companies in the US (California) do that already in real world. They found it is cheaper to implement measures that reduce energy consumption than to build new power plants and sell more energy!!!

Now just look at Singapore, our office buildings, cladded in glas, how many of them use double glasing or any form of heat insulation as it is common in Europe? Not only allow we sunlight to heat up the structure, no we let the the cool air out of the buildings in a irresponsible way.
I would not be surprised to see that energy consumption for office and residential buildings could be significantly reduced (10-20% and more) if buildings would be designed to reduce heat ingres and with better lighting (turn it off when not needed). Also the insane habit of cooling everything to 20deg or less should be looked at...
combine that in a big scale, use micro power plants, solar energy etc etc etc and the energy situation would look different....

We'll be seeing a lot of nuclear power in the future - China is planning on building 30 nuclear reactors in the next 15 years. At least one of those is based on a pebble bed reactor design - which researchers say is inherently more safe than current commercial designs - but we'll have to see as it'll be the first commercial reactor based on this design (all others have been for research into this design).

But we should all learn to use less power - China's demands for power is expected to double within the next 15 years, but even then it will be less than what the US is currently using now.

Status
Not open for further replies.