NS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still consider lucky during my NS life.

Nee Soon camp to Stamont to 3 SIB, nearer n nearer to my hse. Now in 5 SIB, abit far but still ok. Most reservist at west side, suits me too.

MR this Sep, last high key, finally! :D:thumbsup:

I still consider lucky during my NS life.

Nee Soon camp to Stamont to 3 SIB, nearer n nearer to my hse. Now in 5 SIB, abit far but still ok. Most reservist at west side, suits me too.

MR this Sep, last high key, finally! :D:thumbsup:

I got 2 more high key......and this year my in-camp is low key.....:confused:

I got 4 more (including this year) and then i ROD liao...trying to go for all so i can siam the overseas one.

Endure. Stay out of trouble. 2 years very fast.

2 of my friends also sign on as officers so that they can get a uni degree along the way.

At least here, if you sign on to get a degree, they don't send you to fight actual wars. Look at the US Army...you sign on to get degree, they send you to Iraq where you stand a VERY high chance of coming back missing parts of your body or in a body bag.

Their pay isn't that great either comparatively.
Nope...

Not when I'm wasting 2 years of the prime of my youth doing slave labour almost 24/7 with few hundred dollars wage.

18-21 Prime of life? Puhleeze. Prime of your raging hormones perhaps.

At that age, kids are still so tied to their mother's apron strings and so spoilt that if they're not in school (Uni, Poly) or serving NS, they're probably working minimum wage at some fast food outlet, distributing flyers outside MRT stations or selling pirated VCDs/DVDs.

One out of how many hundreds of thousands actually become entrepenures or a success story at that age?

NS is character building. It humbles a person to know that in BMT everyone is equal (of course with the exception of those whose medical dockets have the "WH" label on them - chances of those buggers excelling in life according to some "brilliant" statisticians are higher, therefore the preferential treatment).

NS can build bonds that last a lifetime. If you've watched "Band of Brothers", you'd understand. Of course our bonds aren't like those of veterans but you get what I mean.

Without NS, honestly, do you think we'll ever be prepared??? My two boys, I'm definitely sending them to NS. Daddy's gone through it, and by today's standards, NS is a holiday camp compared to the "Temasek Green" days...

Last edited:
Lot of people want me leh....dunno why???? :confused:

btw, your gal want you????? :bsmilie:
I suggest you don't talk about her. I did not disrespect you in anyway. You started it first. You used people's own thread against them. That's why i had to retaliate. If you would like to still consider going about the same way, i suggest you don't. Because....it will just make your life miserable.

GMAN

At least here, if you sign on to get a degree, they don't send you to fight actual wars. Look at the US Army...you sign on to get degree, they send you to Iraq where you stand a VERY high chance of coming back missing parts of your body or in a body bag.

At that age, kids are still so tied to their mother's apron strings and so spoilt that if they're not in school (Uni, Poly) or serving NS, they're probably working minimum wage at some fast food outlet, distributing flyers outside MRT stations or selling pirated VCDs/DVDs.

One out of how many hundreds of thousands actually become entrepenures or a success story at that age?

NS is character building. It humbles a person to know that in BMT everyone is equal (of course with the exception of those whose medical dockets have the "WH" label on them - chances of those buggers excelling in life according to some "brilliant" statisticians are higher, therefore the preferential treatment).

NS can build bonds that last a lifetime. If you've watched "Band of Brothers", you'd understand. Of course our bonds aren't like those of veterans but you get what I mean.

Without NS, honestly, do you think we'll ever be prepared??? My two boys, I'm definitely sending them to NS. Daddy's gone through it, and by today's standards, NS is a holiday camp compared to the "Temasek Green" days...

pls do not generalize or stereotype...nt all ppl tat age acts tat way...

n character building in ns? sorry to say tat in ns u learn more wrong character than good 1...

i do agree we need a army to protect ourselves and we are able to build bond in ns...but with the current system and ppl...it will only make ppl hate ns...y? coz we are treated like cheap labour than a human...in ns we basically have lost our human rights in short...

On the whole, National Service is crucial to the independence and security of this country. Fact. We need it. Read up on social studies, on Singapore's history and plight, then perhaps you may understand the need for it. Sure, a few hundred dollars is miserable, but acknowledge that it's not a job, it's a service to your country.

National Service Act was established somewhere in 1967, where we just recently turned independent, where the British were pulling out, where the people then, after the Japanese Occupation and the Indonesian Konfrontasi, realised they needed to protect themselves and not rely on others. The majority of the people understood that, and were willing to do so, even under the tough Israeli trainers.

You're in it for two years, you can either be unhappy for those two years, bitter and in a sad plight, or you could just shrug it off and try your best to look on the positive sides and enjoy it. Sure, there may be lots of paper work and red tape. Sure, there may be grumbling and eye-power division techniques. However, when it's time for us to be called upon, like Operation Flying Eagle, you cannot but stand in awe at the efficiency and effectiveness of the SAF.

I suggest you don't talk about her. I did not disrespect you in anyway. You started it first. You used people's own thread against them. That's why i had to retaliate. If you would like to still consider going about the same way, i suggest you don't. Because....it will just make your life miserable.

GMAN

Read the link. :)

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5024849&postcount=96

FYI, my life wouldn't be miserable, and btw are you threatening me????? :bsmilie:

Nobody is threatening anybody.

Now 2 of you just back off and take a deep breath before coming back to this thread again.

For me personally, I feel there are many better options for things to do in life than conscripted army. Like pursuing university education, building career, etc. I don't know how many people out there are willing to serve voluntarily if not for the conscription acts of the law. Prime of life to try new things, pursue an education, start your first steps in a career path.

If NS is not compulsory, would you volunteer to serve?

I'm pretty sure the ones "working minimum wage at some fast food outlet, distributing flyers outside MRT stations or selling pirated VCDs/DVDs" are but a small percentage. :think: Unless of cos.... Hmmm...
Oh, and at least the "minimum wage" outside on average is higher than the peanuts in NS.

I don't want to turn this political.

Last edited:
come think about it, does NS really mould better character?

maybe to a certain degree, yes. but if you think about it, the prime 2 years you spent in NS, is perhaps a time where guys experience mental puberty. not really NS in the works, but it's probably a time where guys have to start thinking of what they really want in life.

if all of you think NS moulds a better character, how about guys from other world class countries who does not have the NS system we do? does it mean those guys will be more childish as compared to our counterparts?

i doubt so.

dont really know how you've came to this conclusion, but the part on being so tied to their moms, i really think that's one out of the hundreds of thousands actually (no pun intended). i mean, i myself started working at 16 in a man eat man world society. and no, i didnt sell DVDs and i didnt distribute flyers in my life. i worked in Sim Lim Square. thank you.

oh really? perhaps only to some closer friends, i cant wait to "shake off" the majority of people i met in NS. and really, Band of Brothers is just over rated. you mean you REALLY think it's going to happen here, where officers are paid 10x my salary, but yet isn't producing 10x my quality of work?

precisely because people like you who have the "i've did it before, so can you" mentality, our system (not only NS in particular) will never change. Last time, people do change parade, people jump off flights of stairs, i'm sure you do too. But does it mean that you've did it, nothing were to happen to others?

I had a friend, who broke his wrist because of change parade. he was an outstanding artist. But because of NS, he couldn't draw as well as before as he lost the ability to do fine movements with his wrists. And he was the last batch before that was removed from our BMT.

Just because you've did NS, doesn't mean the future generation of guys should too. I'm quite sure during the temasek green days, there isn't truckload full of china chinese guys / india indian guys on the streets. and sorry to burst your bubble, these china guys are smart, young AND are willing to stay here, given our government's approach to foreigners.

so imagine you, ORDing at 22 years old, finding out that a china chinese guy, from china, at 24 years old is doing his masters at NTU.

how do you feel? what are you really defending for?

Status
Not open for further replies.