[Noob question] why pentex still not as famous?

TS,
Why worry over the brand?
Just do a google on the history of Pentax.
http://www.photoxels.com/history_pentax.html

Ask any serious pro or landscape photographer who has been around during the film days about the 67 and 645 medium format cameras.

See for yourself the pictures taken here and on photo hosting sites like Flickr.
This is testament to 'famous', 'well known' and 'good'

actually when i bought an entry level DSLR i purposely steered away from canikon so i wouldn't be mistaken for a poser DSLR-toting lamb. i mean, if you choose pentax you've GOT to know what you're getting yourself into right? :bsmilie:

nowadays, times have changed a bit though.. k-x becoming quite mass-market and catching up with the canikon entry level cameras in terms of popularity.

Not famous.... better for us. If not we will have to pay more.

Not famous.... better for us. If not we will have to pay more.

shhhh, keep your tone down! not i say one, but i heard from somebody that pentax getting quite expensive! :bsmilie:

actually when i bought an entry level DSLR i purposely steered away from canikon so i wouldn't be mistaken for a poser DSLR-toting lamb. i mean, if you choose pentax you've GOT to know what you're getting yourself into right? :bsmilie:

nowadays, times have changed a bit though.. k-x becoming quite mass-market and catching up with the canikon entry level cameras in terms of popularity.
quite true...now getting to be quite common to see a Kx up for sale.

When i was waiting for my K20D....like forever waiting for it to turn up on BnS. in the end bought new.

Last edited:
I think your question should be changed to 'why pentax camera is not as popular (as N&C)'. :)
Anyone working in a respectable optical shop or a hospital, or is into astrology should know the brand. Pentax has a very long history and is certainly famous!

Bro
Its "astronomy", not "astrology". Their meaning is entirely different.
Yes on the telescope front, Pentax still has a very good standing although they have also cut down on their product range. I think like any big company, Pentax is not susceptible to poor decision like the one when they decided not to go digital and ended up a follower. They are catching up now and catching up nicely too. The number of pentaxian since my istDL days has grown significantly as far as the number of posters here are concerned.
Give it time. Growing market is a slow and steady process. Even Apple too many years to be where it is today. :)

Probably it's my non-conformist nature, that's why I chose Pentax...
Why be a sheep following everyone else? Make decision on your own findings and research.
I have many friends who use canikons and some questioned my decision to choose Pentax, and one even commented that "if you're a serious photographer, you should only choose C or N.... they shut up after seeing my lame photos (and I'm not even that good to begin with) shot with an inferior camera brand!

Seriously, it doesn't matter which brands you end up with, it's the eyes behind the viewfinder and the finger that's pressing the shutter that count.

Last edited:
Probably it's my non-conformist nature, that's why I chose Pentax...
Why be a sheep following everyone else? Make decision on your own findings and research.
I have many friends who use canikons and some questioned my decision to choose Pentax, and one even commented that "if you're a serious photographer, you should only choose C or N.... they shut up after seeing my lame photos (and I'm not even that good to begin with) shot with an inferior camera brand!

Seriously, it doesn't matter which brands you end up with, it's the eyes behind the viewfinder and the finger that's pressing the shutter that count.

Totally agree! Had to contend with my fair share of C and N fanboys also :thumbsd:

Totally nonsense bunch. Shoot in green mode but love to talk big abt their brand.

Tell them lah: 'serious' photographers use mamiya and hasselbach medium format. Or better still pentax 645D :bsmilie:

quite true...now getting to be quite common to see a Kx up for sale.

When i was waiting for my K20D....like forever waiting for it to turn up on BnS. in the end bought new.

I still remember that new K20d costs above SGD 2K and lenses are quite rare to find. :)

But now, just drop by your favorite shop and most probably you'll find what pentax stuff you wanted.

Last edited:
I think your question should be changed to 'why pentax camera is not as popular (as N&C)'. :)

Check these out...

http://www.coolframes.com/?results&p=1&bid=261&k=&&order=&dir=

http://www.pentaxmedical.com/?page=...tegory_id=23&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=148

http://www.telescope-service.com/pentax/start/pentaxstart.html

Anyone working in a respectable optical shop or a hospital, or is into astrology should know the brand. Pentax has a very long history and is certainly famous!

just to add more info, pentax supply lens block module (zooming+sensor assy) to casio,sanyo,fuji,hp & others and they make good money on this than there P&S camera:bsmilie:
I still can remember half of production go to this segment

and they also produce pick-up lens for cd/dvd/blu-ray

Last edited:
Bro
Its "astronomy", not "astrology". Their meaning is entirely different.
Yes on the telescope front, Pentax still has a very good standing although they have also cut down on their product range. I think like any big company, Pentax is not susceptible to poor decision like the one when they decided not to go digital and ended up a follower. They are catching up now and catching up nicely too. The number of pentaxian since my istDL days has grown significantly as far as the number of posters here are concerned.
Give it time. Growing market is a slow and steady process. Even Apple too many years to be where it is today. :)

You are right! Typing under the influence of cough syrup. :embrass:

Well, many years ago, I was in Cam Workshop and saw a guy spending S$8500 on a 'N' brand camera with a lens. He had to spread it onto two credit cards because one could not get thru. The very same camera is today, ahem, worth less than S$200. You can still find many new ones on E-bay but no body will buy them. One can argue the camera was used a pro tool, but for the nature of the photo business, a $8k basic tool is really over the top.

Same as today, many D90 started to get dumped in the dumpsters' market. Many are still asking for over S$1k for a used package, which in reality you can buy new from USA mail order for much lesser than that price. So punters beware of dumpsters. Why D90 is falling out of grace, is a rumoured D95. People have yet seen the D95 and already are dumping the D90. Such is the fate of modern DSLR.

Comparatively, the Pentax K-x is a camera that is perfect for hobby and semi pro use. I have seen many using it to make money in US for event photography. Using a cheap but very effective tool to make as much money as possible is very good sense.

Pentax is backwards compatible to screw mount, M and even A lenses. So one has a lot of cheap and good lens choices (significant increase in prices for old lenses). I personally see no meaning in spending more money buying a D300 or k-x using the same Tamron 17-50 DX zoom lens. For me, the applications comes first, then the choice of lens and finally the body. And incidentally, a film body meets the picture picture quality of many expensive DSLR.

I knew of a pro photographer who used the Nikon N2002 (many of them) in all his career. He put thru more than 1000 rolls of film per quarter, and ran the cameras to the ground. When doing golf photography, the film camera and the traditional develop/print meets the process requirement (you finish shooting about 8 rolls at 2pm, and need to distribute sorted pictures to more than 50 guests by 6pm. Imagine you have to download 300 raw or jpg pictures, edit and print them in 3 hours. No thanks. His gears were nothing special, just the simple 35mm for group photo, and the 135/180mm for golf shots. In this case, whether N C or P brand anyone can do the job more than adequately. In fact, his pictures will the appropriate fill in flash were always very impressive, and made him a lot of money with several clubs.

We should be happy that k-x is selling for less than S$800 locally. Use it to the max. I suppose K5 and a K7 are coming out soon. But on paper, fortunately, will not obsolete the k-x. Enjoy Pentax.

I've read reviews on k-x and all and the iso performance is comparable to canon,nikkon. How come pentex is still not as big? anyone can explain to me?

of course pentex not but pentax is quite popular

cheers

I've read reviews on k-x and all and the iso performance is comparable to canon,nikkon. How come pentex is still not as big? anyone can explain to me? i may consider to buy one and would like to know the future in pentex. what is pentex lacking exactly?

by now looking at the thread itself which self-explanatory....u can either throw in yr lot with this group of fanboys or seek further advice from the fanboys from other brands...which i believe u will also received similar reply also.:bsmilie:

:bsmilie:
I have been trying to get my friend to carry the Pentax brand in his spectacle shop.

He should. Very good quality. Doesn't yellow even after a few years. :thumbsup:

I've read reviews on k-x and all and the iso performance is comparable to canon,nikkon. How come pentex is still not as big? anyone can explain to me? i may consider to buy one and would like to know the future in pentex. what is pentex lacking exactly?

Pentax size ? Small !
Lacking ? A lot !

I am still playing with K-X and K10D... still so much to learn :bsmilie:
So many lenses to buy... brand new limited ones, 25 year old cult :devil: lenses, 40 year old uncle lenses, 60 year old ah peh lenses... all can be used on my K-X :lovegrin:

Why Pentax not famous?
Erm...because Maria Sharapova or Avril Lavigne haven't held one yet? ;p