Non-dSLR user Considering a switch. Any pointers on what to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about considering Oly - E3.
Get your self 14-54mm lens and you can get this... ;)

Parrot2.jpg

or this, shot with ISO 1600..

1009.jpg

Cheers...!

Thanks lots, I always enjoy people posting sample pictures!

I'd say a tad bit much noise with the ISO1600. But not something I can't live with entirely.

How much is the price of those? The E3 body I mean. 2nd handed.

Hi fellow CSers,

I was just wondering what kind of body and lens I should be getting. Also I don't have an extreme budget, below 1000 (further the better), and don't really mind second hand either.

I know what kind of pictures I want, but don't know what lens/body to get. I've tried looking through the lists and end up a little confused really.

Body: Seriously I don't understand the different formats, and what differences there are in the body. What is a standard body that accommodates most lens? Not too pricey one too. I assume the sensor affects the ISO? (My current camera ISO noise isnt quite optimal)

Lens: I love the shallow DoF effect, and a lot of times take low light pictures too. (Not that low, but maybe like a warmly lit hotel lounge at night.) Though the common belief is bigger the better, I understand that too shallow DoF is extremely hard to focus. So how much is enough really? F/2? Is F2.8 too little? As for the focal length... (clueless). Say if I set up an ideal, 28-200mm F/2 Lens. Are there any real lens in the market that comes close to this? How much are they?

Really really appreciate all the help you can give me! Thanks :)

If you are still new, maybe try to get a Sony Alpha 100, the first DSLR which Sony produced. I'm currently using it. It takes good photos. Price ranges form $800 onwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.