no photoing of Istana Gate???

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my view,

(1) Yes
(2) Yes, until the mall people tell you that it is not allowed and you have to leave. In that situation, just leave, and take your gear with you. You do not have to delete any photos or surrender any equipment for photographs taken before that point, but if you continue taking photos or refuse to leave, then you may be liable for criminal tresspass.

hi guys, STB had replied me today. Below is roughly what is in their reply.

1) Basically, their investigation was that Istana security staff intend was to ask me to move my camera and tripod to the side, as setting up your camera and tripod at the main entrance plaza would cause obstruction to vehicles entering or exiting the Istana grounds.

2) STB had checked with Centrepoint's management and confimed that photography of the mall facade and any activities happening at the events stage is allowed. However, no photography or videography will be allowed of any shops within the mall unless prior permission has been sought from the mall management and respective tenants. Most shopping malls on Orchard Road have the same guidelines as Centrepoint where they welcome the general public to take photography of their mall facade so long as the positioning of the camera tripod used does not obstruct the shopping mall's walkways.

My reply to them was roughly like this.

1) Istana Case
To this, I setup was in the middle, but it may be some mis-communication between the 2 of us cause that was not my understanding of his instruction. Anyway, it is impossible to know what did happen since it is conversation between 2 person. So I just accept that lor.

2) Centrepoint Case
Again, may be mis-communication here. I know (through the info shared by fellow CSers) the do and don'ts of shooting shopping malls. Like I have stated in previous post, I was not standing in the way of human traffic and also not shooting inside the mall.

Now, my question to you guys,
1) Can we shoot the lighting decor which happens to be infront of the window showcase while standing at the mall's facade? eg, CK Tang, Robinsons (the window showcase one along the walkpath) at Centrepoint?

2) Can we shoot the decor that is inside the mall? eg x-mas tree?

although i may not agree to the explanation from STB, I must praise them for their effort in clarifying this issue in such a short time.

To take photo inside shopping mall you need a friend. Go in fast, no tripod/monopod. Use really high ISO and bright lense.
Pretend you shoot photo of your friend (you need some photo of him/her too lah) but dont take too many and never take with flashlight.
Do very fast. Take a quick exit but must be calm. Dressing touristy and putting singapore map and touristy brochure in your shirt pocket will be good also.
This is gorilla, um sorry, guerilla tactics. :)

Ill try to post a more detailed reply when I'm back in Singapore (in HK now). In summary I don't think its illegal to take photos of anything as long as you're outside the grounds of jurisdiction. Those "sensitive" places, if designated as protected places or protected areas, only prohibit photography taking within the grounds, not outside of it (last I checked anyway).

Security personnel in sensitive places, such as SAF camps or other protected places which do not allow photography (with prominent places), are able to call in the police to deal with offenders even if the person is taking a photo of the place on public roads.

Yes they can, but their powers only apply within the protected place and not outside of it. At least thus says the Protected Places Act.

What is legally correct may not always be what is done in real practice, even by the police, who often is rather ill advised about legal matters - we already know many people do things which may or may not accord with their legal rights anyway (see security guards).

Security personnel in sensitive places, such as SAF camps or other protected places which do not allow photography (with prominent places), are able to call in the police to deal with offenders even if the person is taking a photo of the place on public roads.

Do you know of any legislation which prescribes or extends powers outside of a protected place?

Do you know of any legislation which prescribes or extends powers outside of a protected place?
Not sure I'm correct.
got warrant cards, similar to MP type.
Look at those patroling in Changi airport is one of examples.

the polis wont interfear if the photographer is a corkasian.

I was stop by 2 policeman outside the Istana today, at 1805hr.

All I wanted was to take a photo of the xmass lighting hanging on the trees and the Istana Gate.

One of the policeman told me I cannot take photo of the Gate. I can only shoot in the opposite direction, ie shoot towards the road.

1) We can take photo of the change of guard parade including the gate.
2) We can even take photo of the garden and the exterial of buildings inside the Istana during open house on festive days.
3) How can it cause security issues shooting the lightings and the gate with the usual guards? Cannot even see the garden, let alone the buildings.

what is "photoing"? what's "I was stop my 2 policeman"?

that aside, i believe none of us here at CS are qualified to answer your question. an email to the police in charge of security at istana would answer your question.

Come on evenstar - don't throw stones in glass houses.

As for what happened to the ST, simple - PARANOIA. It's the world we live in....

Yes they can, but their powers only apply within the protected place and not outside of it. At least thus says the Protected Places Act.

What is legally correct may not always be what is done in real practice, even by the police, who often is rather ill advised about legal matters - we already know many people do things which may or may not accord with their legal rights anyway (see security guards).

Read a couple of months back that now some SAF personnel guarding sensitive installations are given same authority as policemen on duty. Their rights to exercise these authorities are within the installation and the "immediate vincinity". ie if you take photos at Jurong Island Checkpoint from the traffic junction across the road, they can still invite you to "lim kopi".

By the way, some of the Acts may not hv been updated online or something. Best is dun die die stick to wat u see, later kana slammed by wat u cannot handle. If they have a good enough reason and you dun, better leave. If need to delete, delete and then after go home, use image rescue ;p

Not sure I'm correct.
got warrant cards, similar to MP type.
Look at those patroling in Changi airport is one of examples.

Yes, these soldiers are given training by SPF and have to wear a warrant card (on no4 sleeve).

Yeap that may be true, and perhaps there's some rule out there that I am not aware of, hence if anyone knows, feel free to share and everyone can learn :)

As for the Acts online, rest assured that the database that I'm looking at is updated as fast as it possibly can. :)

Anyway, I'm not sure why people would really want to take any photos of such installations though, don't really see anything interesting there. Those of shopping facades and buildings seem to be of more promise though :)

Read a couple of months back that now some SAF personnel guarding sensitive installations are given same authority as policemen on duty. Their rights to exercise these authorities are within the installation and the "immediate vincinity". ie if you take photos at Jurong Island Checkpoint from the traffic junction across the road, they can still invite you to "lim kopi".

By the way, some of the Acts may not hv been updated online or something. Best is dun die die stick to wat u see, later kana slammed by wat u cannot handle. If they have a good enough reason and you dun, better leave. If need to delete, delete and then after go home, use image rescue ;p

Yes, these soldiers are given training by SPF and have to wear a warrant card (on no4 sleeve).

Status
Not open for further replies.