no photoing of Istana Gate???

Status
Not open for further replies.
A terrorist who is smart enough to be one does not need to dress or look like one. (Eg, would osama look like osama when he goes to washington to visit his comrades?) She may look like an auntie from Poland, shoot with mini spy cams all over her as she make stops to adjust her bra straps or pantyhose. When 911 happened, all the security measures did not stop the bad guys, even at highly guarded areas. When I travelled to usa, sometimes i wonder who would be seated next to me and whether he/she is on a suicide plane mission. But I have been safe so far fortunately.

So, that goes to show that when one is stopped by a guard or police for questioning, the photographer should forgive the guard for not receiving the proper training to detect real threats. Give him a polite smile and thank him for his little part of vigilance to make this a better place. Main thing is, praise him and quickly walk away with the pictures that had already been taken.

That being said, over reaction is better than none. We should instead be thankful we are living in a safe country lor.

That being said, over reaction is better than none. We should instead be thankful we are living in a safe country lor.

True true... just like the video clip that was shown on what they took previously of yishun mrt.

safest place in the world would be in ice land... more penguins than anything... :) cute little fellas... hope i can get to photograph them one day... in the wild not in captivity

actually, this is a good sign.

it shows our men in blue are not sleeping on their jobs, they are even looking out at night.

:thumbsup:

... he ask me if I tan chiak one. I told him tan chiak one use much bigger camera than mine. than he ask my dont shoot there....

they may not know, then again, not necessarily bigger cams have higher resolutions or offer even clearer pics haha

i was stopped last week evening at millenia walk near Time Square, was taking a 360 pano and was stopped by the security guard. didn't want to argue, just packed, smile and walk away. there's always another day...

I went into the visitor centre near Hereen in hope to seek some clearification with the staff. After all, they are under STB, and these lighting decor during xmass is aim to attract tourist to visit singapore. They could not understand why Istana policeman and centre point security had stopped my from taking photos of the decor.

Anyway, they gave me a feedback form and had faxed my feedback to STB. Hope to get reply from them soon.

OMFG... even singapore also kena this type of stupid daiji. Anyway, here is some general rule of photography of public/private property:

You are allowed to photograph anything as long as you are standing on public property and need not ask permission.

You are allowed to photograph a PRIVATE property provided:
a. You are standing on public grounds and
b. The said private property can be seen unobstructed from a public ground.

With regards to Istana:

Yes, you are allowed to photograph the gate and the trees, including the guards ad/or policemen because they are publicly visible. The only time you cannot photograph the gate is if you are on the grounds of Istana, then the guards will have a right to stop you. In your case, you can cite your rights as a photographer (not necessary pro, 'cos this are ?Internationally accepted) and request the the police provide any written rule to challenge this standing rights.

With regards to Centrepoint:

As long as you are on public ground, which means not in the tiled area directly in front of the building, then the security will have no rights to stop you.

Hope that helps.

opposite centre point is under construction of new shopping mall, making it very difficult to shoot.

i think the point is not so much as to the rights of photo.

after spending so much money of lighting up the whole orchard road to boost up the festive mood and attract tourist, one cannot take photo of the beautiful lighting decor. it kind of defeat the purpose.

i feel as long as we are not blocking human and vehicle traffic flow, causing potential danger to ourselves and others, we should be allow to take the photos (not inclusive of inside the shopping mall unless you have the permission to do so) even if we are standing on their property (eg, on the walk path outside the mall). looking at it from another angle, it is free publicity for them since this is the age of internet where most of us post our photos.

since the feedback to STB was done yesterday, a saturday evening and it may take a week or two for them to process. now have to wait for their reply.

You won't get much of a prompt reply from STB, even dealing with their senior management is already similar to growing cobwebs.

True true... just like the video clip that was shown on what they took previously of yishun mrt.

safest place in the world would be in ice land... more penguins than anything... :) cute little fellas... hope i can get to photograph them one day... in the wild not in captivity
Antarctica....

I'd calculated... U'll need $20K just to go there to shoot them in the wild. :thumbsup:

OMFG... even singapore also kena this type of stupid daiji. Anyway, here is some general rule of photography of public/private property:

You are allowed to photograph anything as long as you are standing on public property and need not ask permission.

You are allowed to photograph a PRIVATE property provided:
a. You are standing on public grounds and
b. The said private property can be seen unobstructed from a public ground.

With regards to Istana:

Yes, you are allowed to photograph the gate and the trees, including the guards ad/or policemen because they are publicly visible. The only time you cannot photograph the gate is if you are on the grounds of Istana, then the guards will have a right to stop you. In your case, you can cite your rights as a photographer (not necessary pro, 'cos this are ?Internationally accepted) and request the the police provide any written rule to challenge this standing rights.

With regards to Centrepoint:

As long as you are on public ground, which means not in the tiled area directly in front of the building, then the security will have no rights to stop you.

Hope that helps.
even if you're standing on public grounds, you still can be stopped for taking photos of sensitive buildings (e.g. DSTA, military camps, etc) by the police if they think the photos you take may be used wrongly.

since the feedback to STB was done yesterday, a saturday evening and it may take a week or two for them to process. now have to wait for their reply.

Hmmmm... by the time they reply you, christmas over and its time to go Chinatown and take CNY lightup.. then somebody will stop you and you write STB and .........:bsmilie:

they may not know, then again, not necessarily bigger cams have higher resolutions or offer even clearer pics haha

i was stopped last week evening at millenia walk near Time Square, was taking a 360 pano and was stopped by the security guard. didn't want to argue, just packed, smile and walk away. there's always another day...

I was asked to go off also at millenia walk...also packed up and walked off, cus that was what I was just about to do, I had already got my shots. :bsmilie: That fella is too slow.

Go with me and I show you how to hoot Centerpoint ... but be prepared to run! Not run from mata la! No worries, the pedestrian crossing timing before Centerpoint quite long...if you know what I mean. I've done that before - wait for red light, run to middle of road, shoot, then run off and wait for next change of lights.

After a few trial runs, you will quite preciesely know setup and etc to get at least a few good shots. That's why late, on a weekday is better. Or put it another way, if the shot is important enough to me, I will try my bestest to find a way to get it. Orchard Road got so many nicely lit-up buildings ... if really impossible to get one, I'll move on to others.

However, I can fully understand Dennis' consternation, and logic.

actually, this is a good sign.

it shows our men in blue are not sleeping on their jobs, they are even looking out at night.

:thumbsup:

actually i feel safer in the past....last time still got policemen patrol on bicycles...now most of those police posts are closed down...or even have opening hours. :bsmilie:

Ill try to post a more detailed reply when I'm back in Singapore (in HK now). In summary I don't think its illegal to take photos of anything as long as you're outside the grounds of jurisdiction. Those "sensitive" places, if designated as protected places or protected areas, only prohibit photography taking within the grounds, not outside of it (last I checked anyway).

As for those photographers with a little legal knowledge (as they say, a little knowledge is dangerous), may be tempted to argue with the policeman by going across the road and taking photos, try doing more research first though. Suffice it to say that the immediate area across the road is also a protected area (yeap, most don't know that), and hence, doing that will still get you in trouble. You need to go a little further out to the sides than simiply across the road if you wanto stay outside the area of liability.

Hope this helps, at least for now :)

i think everyone are now afraid that the photos will be sent to stomp for whatever reason. :bsmilie:

Antarctica....

I'd calculated... U'll need $20K just to go there to shoot them in the wild. :thumbsup:

must go buy toto liao... :bigeyes: i didn't expect it to be so much!

hi guys, STB had sent reply to me. they have forward the feedback to relevant department. now waiting for reply from those dept.

hi guys, STB had replied me today. Below is roughly what is in their reply.

1) Basically, their investigation was that Istana security staff intend was to ask me to move my camera and tripod to the side, as setting up your camera and tripod at the main entrance plaza would cause obstruction to vehicles entering or exiting the Istana grounds.

2) STB had checked with Centrepoint's management and confimed that photography of the mall facade and any activities happening at the events stage is allowed. However, no photography or videography will be allowed of any shops within the mall unless prior permission has been sought from the mall management and respective tenants. Most shopping malls on Orchard Road have the same guidelines as Centrepoint where they welcome the general public to take photography of their mall facade so long as the positioning of the camera tripod used does not obstruct the shopping mall's walkways.

My reply to them was roughly like this.

1) Istana Case
To this, I setup was in the middle, but it may be some mis-communication between the 2 of us cause that was not my understanding of his instruction. Anyway, it is impossible to know what did happen since it is conversation between 2 person. So I just accept that lor.

2) Centrepoint Case
Again, may be mis-communication here. I know (through the info shared by fellow CSers) the do and don'ts of shooting shopping malls. Like I have stated in previous post, I was not standing in the way of human traffic and also not shooting inside the mall.

Now, my question to you guys,
1) Can we shoot the lighting decor which happens to be infront of the window showcase while standing at the mall's facade? eg, CK Tang, Robinsons (the window showcase one along the walkpath) at Centrepoint?

2) Can we shoot the decor that is inside the mall? eg x-mas tree?

Status
Not open for further replies.