No Bokeh

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am using f2.8 initially but no bokeh so i try again using f2.0, but also no bokeh. Infact seem like same effect for both picture. Oh...I am using A mode.

Assuming CoC=0.02mm. At 50mm focal length, f/2.8 and focusing distance = 10m, your DOF is 8.16m to 12.9m. If the background is 50m away, it should be out of focus. View your pic on your PC and not the LCD. The LCD is too small to notice it.

Yup.

focal length = 50mm
aperture = f/2.8
CoC = 0.02 (Nikon D90, D80, D70, D60, D40, D40x)
Subject distance 10 m

Depth of field
Near limit 8.16 m
Far limit 12.9 m
Total 4.74 m

In front of subject 1.84 m (39%)
Behind subject 2.91 m (61%)

Hyperfocal distance 44.2 m
Circle of confusion 0.02 mm

Looking at this, the DoF range is actually quite big at aroudn 4.5m. Meaning the OOF effect is probably not as much or as creamy as you want it to be. So on a camera LCD, you probably cannot see too much of the out of focus effect.
And if you are wondering about hyperfocal distance, focusing at a point 44.2m away, everything from 22.1m away till infinity will be sharp in focus.

In the first place.. is the subject in focus? i.e. sharp.

Using F2.8, If the subject at 10m is sharp and the BG at 50m is not blur.. then it is a bit weird..

Could it be that the subject is actually not in focus and you happened to focus somewhere between the subject and the BG? then both will be "a little blur"..

If you had focused at infinity, the BG would likely have very little "bokeh". and the subject should be blurred.. if you're taking a portrait, the subject is probably unrecognizable.

w/o picture, what actually happens is probably guesswork.. subject to different pple's interpretation of what is the actual situation.

If the subject is about 10m away and background is about 50m away. Will there be a bokeh effect on the background if I shoot with a 50mm f1.8 using AF. Cause I tried this morning and there is only a very very little bokeh effect. Is it my ignorance or because it is focusing at infinite length thats why there is no bokeh effect.

I dont recall any article mention anything on this when i read through those article on bokeh. Thus coming here to seek advise from senior and expert. Do bear with me as a noob if my questions sounds ignorance.

My cable to transfer file still with my brother...and me have no card reader so sorry photo still in my camera...:sweatsm:

My cable to transfer file still with my brother...and me have no card reader so sorry photo still in my camera...:sweatsm:

check THIS out!

cheap and good! I bought 3pcs (to put at home, in my laptop bag, etc... so I never go without one!). All working perfectly.

Last edited:
check THIS out!

cheap and good! I bought 3pcs (to put at home, in my laptop bag, etc... so I never go without one!). All working perfectly.

Except that they actually only work at USB 1.1 speeds.

errr... so?

they're charging $2.70 (incl. delivery) for a device that can read/write SD/SDHC... What more can I ask for?

I had also found some Card Reader (multi-card). 1 price at SGD8.80 reads 16 cards (approx) at USB 2.0 speed.

BTW do I still need to post my pic?

well, if you still have any doubts you need to clarify, please do post up.
Nobody's forcing you :)

I feels that this shot is not well taken, so abit shy to post it out. But any way here it goes...

A02.jpg

You removed all the EXIf data. Please tell us the shot settings, especially the f-stop.

But in that pic you can see that the background is a bit OOF, so you have some already.

the background is too near and the object is too big for the focal length to render any bokeh. even if u shooting a full length portraits, u probably wont get a good bokeh with this situation.

I feels that this shot is not well taken, so abit shy to post it out. But any way here it goes...

You used a 50mm/1.8 on a DX-format camera, yet you managed to fit the entire car + some space into the frame. This tells me you were a hell of a long distance from the car.
In all likelihood the background-subject distance is probably only twice as much as the camera-subject distance. How to make the background significantly out of focus in this case?

actually it looks like the focusing is out as well. The car does not appear to be 100% in focus.

You removed all the EXIf data. Please tell us the shot settings, especially the f-stop.

But in that pic you can see that the background is a bit OOF, so you have some already.

BTW...How do remove EXIF data I also dont know...I only resize and adjust exposure by nero photo editor. Here my setting...

1/4000__f1.8__ISO 200__A mode__AF-S 50mm f1.8__auto WB.

the background is too near and the object is too big for the focal length to render any bokeh. even if u shooting a full length portraits, u probably wont get a good bokeh with this situation.

OK.

You used a 50mm/1.8 on a DX-format camera, yet you managed to fit the entire car + some space into the frame. This tells me you were a hell of a long distance from the car.
In all likelihood the background-subject distance is probably only twice as much as the camera-subject distance. How to make the background significantly out of focus in this case?

me----------car-----------------------------building

Approximately like that.

actually it looks like the focusing is out as well. The car does not appear to be 100% in focus.

Is it due to f1.8 cause I focus on the fog lamp (manual select single point focus)

Dark Matter said:
me----------car-----------------------------building

Approximately like that.

ideally should be
camera--subject------------------------------------------------------------background

and even then you're not going to get a really smooth blur. Blur enough to look nice, but not sports page (EPL) kind of blur.

Dark Matter said:
Is it due to f1.8 cause I focus on the fog lamp (manual select single point focus)

fog lamp is not 100% in focus. Looks like the ground slightly nearer than the bird is in focus.
it looks like a focus problem, not due to the depth of field.
My 50/1.8 is pretty sharp where I focus it, even at f/1.8
Some people say the lens is soft at that aperture, but it still looks sharp enough to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.