NIKON D850 Announcement

A rich buyer, first post to show off the shiny toy.. lolz joking don't get angry.. :)

Welcome to the club.. any sample photo to show and also compare D800 with D850... thanks

Old timer here, can't remember my ID and password, member since 2006 or earlier. Had to create a new account but PM admin on account recovery.

No offense taken, the camera is for work, wouldn't spend that much on a travel camera :)

Can share some images later

Got the D850 on launch day. (Yeah, bash the 'rich buyer' all you want)

Camera is a great upgrade of the D810. Its faster in terms of AF speed and frame rate. Tilt LCD + 4K makes video a lot easier now

Long Tail Shrike by Elvin Tan, on Flickr

Here's a raw 4K video straight from camera.

[video=youtube;sGrDAETmOSs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGrDAETmOSs[/video]

Reactions: jeff7id
Got the D850 on launch day. (Yeah, bash the 'rich buyer' all you want)

Camera is a great upgrade of the D810. Its faster in terms of AF speed and frame rate. Tilt LCD + 4K makes video a lot easier now

Long Tail Shrike by Elvin Tan, on Flickr

Nice.. is it a worth while upgrade?

Reactions: jeff7id
Here's a raw 4K video straight from camera.

[video=youtube;sGrDAETmOSs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGrDAETmOSs[/video]

Is it me or the video focus is off? How's the liveview focus? Any improvement from previous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice.. is it a worth while upgrade?

Its very very subjective I guess.

In my opinion, the D810 -> D850 jump is alot bigger then the D800/E -> D810 jump (Mainly for the great D810 sensor) - The D850 is more usable now with bluetooth, tilt lcd, great 4k video, xqd (pity its not dual xqd), high frame rate.

Of course its far from perfect. The lack of a built in commander (Fine, take away the flash, but at least build in the new radio controller), no focus peaking in 4K video mode, no focus peaking in AF mode, rear AEL button is gone.

Is it me or the video focus is off? How's the liveview focus? Any improvement from previous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bird is not in perfect focus. I had did an initial focus on the bird, and started recording around f/8. Its possible the branch shifted,etc. I did not adjust the focus once i started shooting. The problem with videoing nature, you could spend time getting ready and miss the bird :(

This is a processed version of the video. (I cropped it from 4k to 1080p and adjusted the gamma, it was bit too bright imo.)

[video=youtube;HrFHqWXR_1A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrFHqWXR_1A[/video]

The liveview autofocus is better then the d810, but still almost useless compared to the Sony,etc. Its a pity you don't get focus peaking in 4K mode too.

Has the stock been replenished yet ?

No. There is not enough supply. But no justification for such low numbers Nikon produces for a high profile launch.

There are several possibilities why D850 no stock:

1) Nikon has made mass production but still can't keep up with the huge demand

2) Nikon never expected such a high demand, hence initial production is too low

3) Factory in Thailand got flooded

4) Low supply of image sensor

:dunno:

So which one confirm and which one double-confirm? :p

i wait for so long for d700 replacement

till i get a d3s to replace my d700

And you will not need to wait for so long again to get the D3s replacement.

Ya no hurry. It's not as if I need the camera to earn $$. It's just a hobby wait for 3~6 months won't make much different for us. Beside SG population so small and even smaller pool of Nikon users and out of this pool of Nikon users even smaller pool of buyer want to spend on D850.

So give it 3 months unless Nikon japan screw up on their production else by then stock will be everywhere.

I also not in hurry, sold away the D810. Maybe will only look for a replacement early next year

There are several possibilities why D850 no stock:

1) Nikon has made mass production but still can't keep up with the huge demand

2) Nikon never expected such a high demand, hence initial production is too low

3) Factory in Thailand got flooded

4) Low supply of image sensor

:dunno:

5) They are producing at a financially sustainable rate. No reason to setup new lines to produce high volume and to fire the people after the first few months.

5) They are producing at a financially sustainable rate. No reason to setup new lines to produce high volume and to fire the people after the first few months.

This is probably the most logical and reasonable answer having worked in the manufacturing industry whole life.

Uncle Foong, you using Nikon also?