Nikon D50 vs Canon 350D

Status
Not open for further replies.
snaplover said:
I've no idea what to look out for.
Mind to share what to take note and look out for??
Many things.

For example, if you like to take photos with flash, go with Nikon. Nikon famous for its CLS (Creative Lightning System).

If you have plenty collection of lenses from many brands, you can use Canon. Canon mount with correct adaptor can use lenses from other than Canon (for some extent).

Read more to gain your knowledge before you decide a camp. Once you decide and build up your camp, it is costly to change camp ;) .

I hope above help.

Regards,
Arto.

Andy Ang said:
Now that is the standard comments that would start the N & C war again. From the bulk of the comment, seemed to be skewed towards Canon.
I treated it a big joke of the day. Lots of wrong info (SD slow and expensive?) , and he forgot that Canon was the first to put SD on a DSLR (a pro 1 series some more) and that operated faster than its CF interface :bsmilie: .

Totally no credibility.

Ya, but the problem is that the guy who started the thread would listen and believe anything anyone is saying now.
Also, its the unreliability of the infos that's why I commented that he is just being bias towards the C, and trying hard to
make it looked balanced to avoid flaming backlash.

stjhie said:
Any the NEGATIVE thing, It's using SD. SD are generally more expensive, slower and less reliable that it's big brother CF. Dun believe? Then why is all of the top range cam is using CF? D2x, 1Ds, 1D N, 1DsMKII etc.

Erm.. you mean 2 years ago SD is more expensive, slower and less reliable? Check out this thread http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=209492 dude. SD is cheaper and faster now and makes it easier for people who are using prosumer/consumer cameras to upgrade as they should have a good stash of SDs already.

That makes me one of them ... Prosumer to DSLR. Now with 4GBs in 6 SD Cards ;p

Mine's 2 X 512MB ( Free with Both Panasonic FZ20 and Nikon D50)

The others are 3 X 1GB ...Bought ;p
Correction...its not SIX but 5 only ... but I do have a 128Mb from a Cheapo Viewcam my dad bought ;)

Haha, Mini-SD count or not? 128mb that comes with my N73, another 1G bought. ;p

Not sure about that but if you put it in a provided SD (Full Size) adapter and put in your DSLR and if it works...can consider la :D

they arent directly comparable. one is a step above the other.
just as the D70 is a step above the 350D and the 30D is a step above the D70 and one step below the D200.

the importan thing you must realise, is neither will get you noticeably BETTER pictures.
i doubt anyone could tell the difference between any of the entry level DSLRs in terms of picture resolution, without pixel peeping.
all give about the same picture quality. just as even at the top end, there is very little difference between a D2x and a canon 1Ds mk 2, even though theres mean to be a 4mp difference.

so what the difference boils down to, is in terms of easy of use, operability, functionality, handling, lens and accessories choices etc etc etc...

and that, is a very individual thing. that only you can decide. no one here can really make that decision fo ryou.

Andy Ang said:
Ya, but the problem is that the guy who started the thread would listen and believe anything anyone is saying now.
Also, its the unreliability of the infos that's why I commented that he is just being bias towards the C, and trying hard to
make it looked balanced to avoid flaming backlash.
Since the threadstarter's ears are so 'soft' now, I'll throw in my 2-cents' worth as well.... :)

Olympus E-330

..and so too says American Photo Magazine who voted it the Editor's Choice 2006 for Entry-Level DSLRs
http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/2400/editors-choice-2006-entry-level-d-slrs.html

filofari said:
Erm.. you mean 2 years ago SD is more expensive, slower and less reliable? Check out this thread http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=209492 dude. SD is cheaper and faster now and makes it easier for people who are using prosumer/consumer cameras to upgrade as they should have a good stash of SDs already.
undeniable fact is that SD has limited real estate on its small physical size. Thus future expansion in size might be limited. Whereas CF being physically bigger can take in larger chunks of silicon to give you bigger storage capacity, basically theory goes whatever that can fit into SD, CF can fit more of it. With the fight for bigger megapixels to feed the more-is-better consumers each photos will now be bigger than ever.

Furthermore, manufacturers of SD memory cards and host adapters have to pay royalties and the cost is passed onto consumers no doubt. This was why SD cards were expensive from the start. MMC on the other hand is open standard (open source = free).

SD card: currently highest capacity 4gb. 32GB 20mb/s (150x) by end 2007 (20mb/s unsure if burst or sustained) SD data bus is still currently sticking to it's 25MHz clock and data rate cannot increase if the clock speed is not increased. Have not heard of any upgrades planned, probably because it's a closed door format.

MMC+: same capacity roadmap as SD but speed up to 53MB/s (353X) but needs phsyical change in connectors to support these newer MMC+ speeds. Also operate with lower voltages therefore conserving battery power. the "open source" version of SD, SD came from MMC anyway...

CF cards: 16GB already out for industrial market since end 2004,
currently under development up to sustained 133MB/s (886X) (not 133X which is only 20mb/s) Some R&D houses have received test samples for product support development.

The 1D2 has SD slots in addition to CF slots. It was meant for photogs to save the files into 2 different storage mediums at one go in case 1 card dies. It is a back up system and did not mean the the 1D only accepts SD cards.

If D80 with the rumoured SD slot supports MMC+ as well then :thumbsup: I'll give it a 2nd look. Else SD is just so... :think: :dunno: I rather compare CF based bodies like D70s vs 350D

Status
Not open for further replies.