nikon D3S ISO 12400 sample image

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot to mention that I use a monopod with a ball-head.
.......... and the VRII was OFF.

Did u use Manual settings?

Cos under P settings, my shutter speed can never get 1/125 inside that place?

Thanks

hoping the same sensor will go to the smaller cousin D800 whenever it comes out

120986779.jpg

Shot was taken with the following rig and setup:

Distance to subject 290m

1 Taken using a tripod
2 VRII On - tripod mode
3 Mirror delay
4 Cable release
5 TC-20 2xConverter
6 Image Size reduced from 300 > 100 DPI for this post

Make Nikon
Model Nikon D3S
Lens nikkor 400mm f2.8 VRII
Flash Used No
Focal Length 800 mm
Exposure Time 1/180 sec
Aperture f/5.6
ISO Equivalent 5000
Exposure Bias -
White Balance Auto
Metering Mode matrix (5)
Exposure Program manual (1)

enjoy ...... pygmy

Last edited:
800mm and still can achieve such photo with such shutter speed...i'm speecless too. nearly fell off my chair :D

you see it as $$ for a lens.
I see it as $$ for a special point of view of the world .......

true true but to me maybe no $$ means my point of view also gets narrower lol :cool:

but its amazing how dslr technology evolve just this decade.

120986779.jpg

Shot was taken with the following rig and setup:

Distance to subject 290m

1 Taken using a tripod
2 VRII On - tripod mode
3 Mirror delay
4 Cable release
5 TC-20 2xConverter
6 Image Size reduced from 300 > 100 DPI for this post

Make Nikon
Model Nikon D3S
Lens nikkor 400mm f2.8 VRII
Flash Used No
Focal Length 800 mm
Exposure Time 1/180 sec
Aperture f/5.6
ISO Equivalent 5000
Exposure Bias -
White Balance Auto
Metering Mode matrix (5)
Exposure Program manual (1)

enjoy ...... pygmy

Surprisingly, the noise in this photo (shadow below the fence at the bottom) at ISO 5000 is a lot more than the first owl shot at 12400.

Or, it's just me?

its RM14,900 (S$6210) here in Malaysia for D3s

only one word to describe. AWESOME!! hope there is nicer pics to come!!

I don't know if I have seen you said so anywhere here but is there any noise reduction dialed in during the exposure or on the post processing when converting the NEF to jpeg?

My D3s produced clean looking photos at 6400 with noticeable noise especially in the shadows and at 12800 it is rather grainy. If I want to compare in relation to other cameras like the D700 and D300 I would say the D3s at high ISO to be very clean, but in itself I would say it is still grainy, definitely not as smooth as all the photos I have seen you posted here.

Did I set something different in my camera? My noise reduction was set to low because I did not want to loose more details to NR.

I don't know if I have seen you said so anywhere here but is there any noise reduction dialed in during the exposure or on the post processing when converting the NEF to jpeg?

My D3s produced clean looking photos at 6400 with noticeable noise especially in the shadows and at 12800 it is rather grainy. If I want to compare in relation to other cameras like the D700 and D300 I would say the D3s at high ISO to be very clean, but in itself I would say it is still grainy, definitely not as smooth as all the photos I have seen you posted here.

Did I set something different in my camera? My noise reduction was set to low because I did not want to loose more details to NR.

Conversion from NEF > Jpeg was done by opening the NEF in Photoshop CS4 Camera Raw with NO adjustments and saving it as Jpeg at highest quality.

the in-camera High ISO NR was set HIGH.

Regarding ".......12800 it is rather grainy".
I am not sure if you mean "grainy" to mean "noisy". I have only heard of the tern "grain" used on film and not digital negatives. We can discuss the taxonomy in a different thread.

To answer your question I will assume you mean "noise". I have a feeling this is due to over exposure.

"Did I set something different in my camera?" ....... i would be very surprised if your camera settings are exactly the same as mine.

What lens were you using?

cheers!

Surprisingly, the noise in this photo (shadow below the fence at the bottom) at ISO 5000 is a lot more than the first owl shot at 12400.

Or, it's just me?

I don't think it makes sense to analyse noise at this size of image. Too small.

Can pygmy provide 100% crops of 2 or 3 strategic areas , eg, the area behind the yellow van or the top right corner?

I don't think it makes sense to analyse noise at this size of image. Too small.

Can pygmy provide 100% crops of 2 or 3 strategic areas , eg, the area behind the yellow van or the top right corner?

here they are:

121042043.jpg

121042045.jpg

i was stunned that i could discern the individual LEDs in the traffic light considering this image was made from approx 290m away (measured on google earth).

i was stunned that i could discern the individual LEDs in the traffic light considering this image was made from approx 290m away (measured on google earth).

That's also because you got a tokkong lens! ;)

That's also because you got a tokkong lens! ;)

you are absolutely right.

this means the quality of a digital camera's sensor cannot be critiqued in isolation.
saying that one camera's sensor produces better quality image than another without making any references to the lens used and exposure settings is in fact meaningless.

Conversion from NEF > Jpeg was done by opening the NEF in Photoshop CS4 Camera Raw with NO adjustments and saving it as Jpeg at highest quality.

the in-camera High ISO NR was set HIGH.

Regarding ".......12800 it is rather grainy".
I am not sure if you mean "grainy" to mean "noisy". I have only heard of the tern "grain" used on film and not digital negatives. We can discuss the taxonomy in a different thread.

To answer your question I will assume you mean "noise". I have a feeling this is due to over exposure.

"Did I set something different in my camera?" ....... i would be very surprised if your camera settings are exactly the same as mine.

What lens were you using?

cheers!
Yes you are right. I mean noisy but am too used to the term grainy since film days so I sort of stick to it.

Does a slight overexposure cause noise to surface? I had the impression that it is the brightening of underexposed images that causes noise to surface. I may be wrong as my exposures are usually correct so I have not much experiences in this regards, and due to the lack of time I haven't been studying the D3s hard enough to understand it fully.

I am using mainly zooms like AF-S 24-70mm and AF-S 14-24mm as my job mainly requires me to shoot in that range.

Status
Not open for further replies.