Nikon, Canon?? (Question)

Thx man.. :)

Okay if u are saying A55 Sony.. Wat about Canon EOS 600D or 550D..?

Eventually I'm looking at this 3.. But I'm afraid I would regret after awhile use when/if I'm more "".

Tt y after reading too many comment n review in here I decided to get the better ones.

Canikons does not necessarily mean better.

Eventually I'm looking at this 3.. But I'm afraid I would regret after awhile use when/if I'm more "".

Tt y after reading too many comment n review in here I decided to get the better ones.

I really do hope you know what you are getting yourself and not regretting it after comparing it to a P&S picture...

If you are afraid, then go straight to FF :devil: like 5D mkii, D700 etc..many bought it no regrets ;p (the only regret some of them might have is the hole in the pocket :bsmilie:).

Frankly many bros will tell you the same thing: Head down to shops and try out :D

One of the places I head down to play with cameras if you are shy to approach reputable shops like TK Foto in Funan is Courts. Their display sets are there for you to play until you shiok. Canon showroom at Vivo can play until shiok too. Not sure about Nikon though. Sony Style got demo A55 for you to play the frames per second challenge somemore! :D

I really do hope you know what you are getting yourself and not regretting it after comparing it to a P&S picture...

If you are afraid, then go straight to FF :devil: like 5D mkii, D700 etc..many bought it no regrets ;p (the only regret some of them might have is the hole in the pocket :bsmilie:).

Hmmmm.......you really are the :devil:

Maybe consider the bodies first....then consider what lenses to match up, it need not be a must to buy as a set. I am not saying superzooms are not good because I am using one but there are reasons why these superzooms are common on the selling list in this forum.

In some ways DSLR can achieve what normal point and shoot cameras cannot and that is more of able to have more manual control on the settings instead of the camera doing everything for you automatically.

If not in a hurry, then read up on basic knowledge on apertures since this will help you be more aware of the limitation of various lenses other than focal length. E.g. Why many ppl would drool over f2.8 compared to say f5.6.

You have quite a big budget. If you are going for either Canon or Nikon, the Nikon D5100 and Canon 60D Kit 3 fits into your bill. You will appreciate the swivel screen for video since you mentioned you will do video. Should be around 2k. Spend the rest on flash and accessories :)

thx man.. but back to topic again. will it be too over kill for a bigginer??

What exactly is the effect you like? Need to get your expectation right, else you will be disappointed when you buy eg. a D7000 with 18-200 lens, and then find out that the pictures turn out similar to (or worst than) your friend's cheap and pocket size campact (eg. LX5, Olympus XZ1, etc.).

Note that SLR does not = good pictures.

Now you need to tell us what exactly is the effect you like, and we can advise you further.

Eg.

If you like foreground sharp, background blur pics, you can achieve that with an entry-level SLR body with maybe a 50mm 1.8 lens. The pictures will most of the time turn out nicer than a D7000 paired with 18-200 lens.

yes finally you bought up those effect which i just cant remember in my mind.. ie. backgroup blur pics, foreground sharp..
18-200 lens is i might sometimes like to take far shoots.

I think you will have to pen it down on the details on this one...If it's the contrast/saturation that you are referring to, it can be achieved in Post Processing by playing with Curves, Vibrance, Saturation etc.

those blur background which very focus on an object or very far object like "Moon"?

Can i ask what effect will the DSLR give you which a compact can't? I suspect you are thinking about the background blur effect.

Like what spree86 had mentioned, you can consider other brands like Sony and Pentax. Determine what functions you like to have. Also, do considered basic stuff like ergonomics of the camera. Is the size of the camera important to you? Do you like the feel of the camera in your hands and also the camera's user interface?

yes you all got me.. :D the blur effects. :D im not really cares abt the branding anyway. so was taking my timie looking a right one for me.
size of camera are fine as well. :D i love the feel when turn the lens.. "Might be one of the reason of getting hehe."

U remind of myself 3 year ago.
I visit comex, ask the canon guy what to buy.
He ask me what picture I want to take.
I say everything, especially my children.
He say 1000d can do, 450d good, 50d better.
In the end, I brought 50d with 18-55 kit lens.
At that moment, I do not even know where to turn the setting, only full auto mode.
Why canon? Because the booth is biggest !
No regret. Just buy within your budget.

Others brands like? (which hv the feature of the 3 I mention.)
Thx for ur advice :) deeply appreciated

Every brand have the features of the models you listed since you are not specific into it. I already mentioned Pentax and Sony. Go have a feel for yourself, whether you like the feel of the camera in your hands, do you like the button placements, all these plays a part.

Last edited:
Do note that getting a D7000 with 18-200 lens can't give you nice background blur effects most of the time, and can't give you a very nice close up shot of the moon.
A cheaper body eg. D90 paired with a 50mm 1.8 AF lens (less than $200) can give you nicer background blur pics than an expensive body with 18-200mm lens, and a D90 paired with a cheap 70-300mm G lens(less than $200) can give you nicer moon shots than a D7000 with 18-200 lens.

Don't just focus on getting the most expensive body just because you have the budget. It doesn't work this way. The lens is much more important in my opinion.

thx man.. but back to topic again. will it be too over kill for a bigginer??

The usual recommendation for beginner with no prior DSLR (or no manual control) experience to start with kit lens (18-55mm), learn, practice and work your way up.

Since you are interested in getting longer range kit lens like the 18-200mm, go ahead without worrying too much. It's a general purpose lens which will meet most of your photography needs, just that is not light at 595g. Try it in store then you will a feel of the weight. If you are interested in getting out of focus (bokeh) shots with minimal effort, get the 50mm f1.8 which is very affordable at $125 :)

I hope you're not getting confuses by the folks here. They're telling you about all the mix of lenses, DoF and the Photographers' philosophy.

Let's just make my post simple. We photographers earn around $50 an hour for an event. The cheapest cheapest CHEAPEST I've ever offered is $20/h. Did you actually think we earn so easily just Coz we have a DSLR? What I'm trying to say is, DSLR gives you more control over the system. But it also means you can mess the system up easily if you don't know how to use it.

I hope you're not getting confuses by the folks here. They're telling you about all the mix of lenses, DoF and the Photographers' philosophy.

Let's just make my post simple. We photographers earn around $50 an hour for an event. The cheapest cheapest CHEAPEST I've ever offered is $20/h. Did you actually think we earn so easily just Coz we have a DSLR? What I'm trying to say is, DSLR gives you more control over the system. But it also means you can mess the system up easily if you don't know how to use it.

the second part of your post makes sense... but the first part's gonna open you up to lots of bashing

Others brands like? (which hv the feature of the 3 I mention.)
Thx for ur advice :) deeply appreciated

Sony and Pentax have even more features than the cameras you listed at a cheaper price. For example, only Sony will have fast autofocus in live view and video. Pentax and Sony have built-in antishake, for Canon and Nikon you need to buy an IS/VR lens, etc.

Please don't get out of topic. How cheap you are has no relevance to this topic at all. Thread starter is asking about which SLR to buy, and we are trying our best to help him.

1. Do I need built-in antishake or not? I'm not sure if this built in anitishake really tt important..? Any advice?

2. Do I need video? Yes. I nd it :D

3. Do I need fast autofocus? Ermm.. Maybe?

4. Do I need an articulating (tilt and/or twist) LCD screen? Yes or no I'm fine with it. :D

5. Do I need an in-body autofocus motor? Yes. :D

6. What lens should I get? I'm looking at 18-200 :D (isit too over?)

Hmm...
Sounds more like you'd need a Sony (ie. A55 of A77). Ticks all the boxes.
Maybe a Pentax (K5 or Kr) too, minus the articulating screen.

Just open up your options and look at what is offered by the various brands (Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony, Olympus, Panasonic)
Many of them do offer more features for the same amount of money.

The D60 is a nice camera if you want to get a Canon. No wrong in getting it at all.

neither. get a leica m9 immediately. best for beginners

TS should head down shops and play with all listed cameras liao. At least homework is done :)

Hello everyone.. Im super new to here and super new to DSLR.. :D

Would like to chk wit you guys that will it be good for a beginner to start of with (Considering Model) - Nikon D7000. Canon D7, Canon 60D ?? Going with Lens 18-105 for Nikon & 18-200 IS for Canon.

Thx in adv and looking forward for advise. :D

if your choice is narrowed down between Nikon and Canon, it will be simple, just flip a coin.
or just head down to the showroom for a hands-on testing.

Don only look in Nikon and Canon. There is also other brands that make fantastic cameras.

Hello everyone.. Im super new to here and super new to DSLR.. :D

Would like to chk wit you guys that will it be good for a beginner to start of with (Considering Model) - Nikon D7000. Canon D7, Canon 60D ?? Going with Lens 18-105 for Nikon & 18-200 IS for Canon.

Thx in adv and looking forward for advise. :D

d7000, 60d 7d are not beginner cams .. prosumer ba... and pretty ex too

600d, d3100 are perhaps better

Not all photographers make the same rate as you. $50 an hour? That is quite low IMHO. Hope you can work your rate up to market rate soon.

Last edited: