Nikon behind the curve...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viewpoint

Jan 5, 2007
The 37.5MP Leica S2 DSLR with larger than 35mm CCD -- this has really put Nikon way behind the curve. 12MP is all Nikon has to offer??? it is rapidly looking like yesterday's technology.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08092301_leica_s2.asp

We want more and good quality pixels -- it can be done. I think Leica is taking a big gamble but is in the right direction. Medium format DSLRs are incredibly expensive, and Leica appears to offer something more practical, in between. Excellent strategy, IMHO.

The 37.5MP Leica S2 DSLR with larger than 35mm CCD -- this has really put Nikon way behind the curve. 12MP is all Nikon has to offer??? it is rapidly looking like yesterday's technology.

We want more and good quality pixels -- it can be done. I think Leica is taking a big gamble but is in the right direction. Medium format DSLRs are incredibly expensive, and Leica appears to offer something more practical, in between. Excellent strategy, IMHO.

It's an entirely new system with new optics.. So the rumour that Nikon going for MX format might have some plausibility. Chances is that it might no longer be F-mount.

How often do we even need those megapixels?Not that I won't prefer a high MP count camera...:confused:
Hope nikon comes out with a 20+MP DSLR.:thumbsup:

I really don't get statements like "12MP is all Nikon has to offer??? it is rapidly looking like yesterday's technology."

Since when does Megapixels decide everything? I can think of many other important things that I want in a camera beyond MP. Just to list a few: high ISO performance, good DR, good AF, etc etc.

For casual shooters like me, I really question the need for more MP. More MP = larger files and bigger strain on computers to process them = slower workflow. In fact, I'm ABSOLUTELY delighted that Nikon has wisely chosen to cap the MP count at 12 for their current generation of cameras because it shows that they have given thought to what the hobbyist wants instead of charging into the Megapixel race. It takes balls to do that in a setting where consumers like the OP are all brain washed into thinking MP = da bomb.

Granted, there will be a specific population that will require high MP for their work. So Nikon will undoubtedly produce a high MP cam, but this will still not render fantastic cams like the D700 or D300 to become "yesterday's technology".

Last edited:
I really don't get statements like "12MP is all Nikon has to offer??? it is rapidly looking like yesterday's technology."

Since when does Megapixels decide everything? I can think of many other important things that I want in a camera beyond MP. Just a list a few: high ISO performance, good DR, good AF, etc etc.

For casual shooters like me, I really question the need for more MP. More MP = large files and bigger strain on computers to process them = slower workflow. In fact, I'm ABSOLUTELY delighted that Nikon has wisely chosen to cap the MP count at 12 for their current generation because it shows that they have given thought to what the hobbyist wants instead of charging into the Megapixel race. It takes balls to do that in a setting where consumers like the OP are all brain washed into thinking MP = da bomb.

Granted, there will be a specific population that will require high MP for their work. So no doubt Nikon will undoubtedly produce a high MP cam, but this will still not render fantastic cams like the D700 or D300 to become "yesterday's technology".

Not just hobbyist. Remember that a large population of the target customers are photojournalists.. then you will understand why 12MP is more than sufficient. I'm waiting for the day I can get high resolution colour images on newspapers.

wat they essentially did was to put a MF sensor into a SLR body. wats the comparison? :dunno:

while it might be practical, costs wise, i doubt so. someone else already posted in RFF, it might be going for ard USD30K? at current exchange rates, dats abt SGD42K... unless u got deep pockets...

having more MPs might be good. but do u think the average Joe will have enough resources to make full use of it?

no one is behind the curve. it is a matter of target audience and practicalities...

wat they essentially did was to put a MF sensor into a SLR body. wats the comparison? :dunno:

while it might be practical, costs wise, i doubt so. someone else already posted in RFF, it might be going for ard USD30K? at current exchange rates, dats abt SGD42K... unless u got deep pockets...

having more MPs might be good. but do u think the average Joe will have enough resources to make full use of it?

no one is behind the curve. it is a matter of target audience and practicalities...

For that money, I'd rather buy modular.. ;p But I don't have a need for such a system at that kind of money..

Last edited:
who cares behind or ahead of curve/technology

who cares high/low MP
who cares ... do u need it?

it has always been the same

u want it and can afford it, buy it
if not, forget it

if all this so difficult, than i dont get it

no offence

who cares behind or ahead of curve/technology

who cares high/low MP
who cares ... do u need it?

it has always been the same

u want it and can afford it, buy it
if not, forget it

if all this so difficult, than i dont get it

no offence

People are not easily satisfied.... ;p

People are not easily satisfied.... ;p

May they find peace one day instead of always chasing after Megapixels then...
Cos the race for MP is never-ending. ;)

I think it remains to be seen if Leica have hit a home run on this one.

Firstly, anyone who wanted a medium format digital camera is already being served by Mamiya, PhaseOne, Hassy etc. which has greater backward compatibility with old medium format lenses.

Secondly, if Nikon MX-rumors are true, then Leica are going to have another big competitor with far more resources and economies of scale.

Thirdly, they are launching into a headwind of an economic recession with shrinking professional budgets.

The story of Leica after late 20th century has been one of technical prowess coupled with extreme commercial incompetence.

It's nice to have bragging rights but at the end $$$$ wins and the losers have to close shop.

I would love to have a Leica digital rangefinder which is better than their M8 and I think it's sad that they've diverted their limited R&D resources to this project which I think will end up being a small footnote in the history of cameras.

I also don't understand those complaining about 12 MP :dunno:

I would presume "them" to be equipment collectors than photographer :nono:

I shoot mainly for my company's in house marketing purposes, on some motorsports assignments, as well as taking it as a hobby.

For in house marketing work, it's mainly fashion models and events. @ 12 MP, well, I can still print 160x60 standees or 200x 120 banner posters without problem. Any larger I would engage a professional who will do it with medium format.

If I were to do it myself, I would welcome a MX from Nikon.

And why do someone need a 21/24 MP to post photos in a forum or in flickr? :dunno:

And if it is a pro who are complaining about 12 MP then he would probably be in the C camp long ago or should invest in a medium format. :dunno:

only the image matters

unless you are a measurebator

A picture speaks a thousand words.. So shoot more rather than worry about these numbers... ;p The longer one procrastinate, the later one will start to shoot good pictures. :)

but i see the target market that leica has defined

sort of an in-between segment

Looks like they are going the Pentax 645 way. MF with the ease of use of a 135 format SLR. But I think the camera is going to be quite big because of the mirror box.

so coming from someone who had been using an S5pro talking abt quality pixels on a 6mp camera.. why the sudden urge/need to talk about 37.5mp? :bsmilie:

so coming from someone who had been using an S5pro talking abt quality pixels on a 6mp camera.. why the sudden urge/need to talk about 37.5mp? :bsmilie:

Can't resist the temptation of big numbers anymore.. ;p

the S2 is for serious professionals dude.. probably more suited for portraiture and fashion photograhy. they're trying to battle the hasselblads, the mamiyas, leafs and more. how can you compare it with the DSLR market which has not been successful in that high end part of the market? the sensor size is 56% larger than a 35mm full frame, the image quality will own the heck out of any DSLR even with the same number of pixels.

Last edited:
actually, Mamiya had introed a (integrated) DSLR with a digital medium format sensor already, the Mamiya 645ZD... so Leica can't really claim to be the first or the only (in any case, a fat load of good being first and only did for the Mamiya version ;p)... marketing spin...

and the thing with in between formats is that, they are in between... they can't shoot as fast as 135 format digital, and don't have the flexibility of digital 645 backs... and with the big question on price, this leaves them vulnerable to some upstart (big hint to Nikon executives... come and get it guys ;p) who intros something similar but cheaper...

on the plus point, Leica teamed up with Phase One on workflow, which gives them a big advantage in terms of file handling, digital processing and possibly teathered shooting...

Status
Not open for further replies.