Nikon Announced D5100

I was hoping Nikon will incorporate the D60 eye sensor into the D5100. Too bad this did not happen.

I think this is because the screen is too large to put the eye sensor.

Trouble with Nikon is they leave out essential functions but put in some pro functions. As I said earlier, it should be either no "pro" functions at all, or everything should be in. Basic settings like aperture, shutter speed and ISO should be easily accessible (I do not consider ISO setting to be a "pro" function). I don't find a 6 step process just to change ISO to be very intuitive

1. Press info button to switch on the screen
2. Press the info button again to access the "quick menu"
3. Play with the directional pad to scroll to the ISO setting
4. Press the ok button to access the ISO setting control
5. Scroll down to the ISO you want
6. Press ok to lock in the new ISO speed

With the Canons, you press the ISO button, scroll through with the directional pad or the dial, and then press ok. Much more intuitive. For the higher level Nikons, hold down the ISO button, turn the dial, and you're set. Such questionable design decisions should not be tolerated from Nikon engineers, imo.

If you frequently use ISO, you can set the Fn button for ISO instead of timedelay trigger.

I recently upgraded from the D5k to the D7k.
D5k is a beautiful camera and I loved it to bits. It was mostly the lack of BIM that convinced me to change and I decided to go to the D7k rather than the same sensor with BIM (D90). Love this camera and there's still a lot of functions and options that I am still learning. It adds dimensions to your photography, but I still do miss the swivel screen and simplistic controls of D5k. It's a fun camera to use, and I believe the D5.1k is carrying on in that tradition.

The "HDR" function was already almost present in the D5k as bracketting with 3 shots. It's just been made a bit more automatic.
If this camera had launched two months earlier, I would have had even more trouble convincing myself to buy a D7k although I would have anyway. ;)

If you frequently use ISO, you can set the Fn button for ISO instead of timedelay trigger.

Yes, it is what I did. But there are some people who may use the timer mode a lot.

Does Anybody tried their hands on D5100? if so where did you try it and any news about the pricing for this model (kit?!)?

I hope someone can start a Mass Order for the D5100 body + lens + accessories.

;p;p;p

Well, aren't the camera stores in SG already doing mass orders? Lol

nikon replied that it will be available end of this month...but price not yet fixed...sob

Woah at the 1k mark, the sales for the d3100 is going to get hit !

Sounds like a great value just for the body only. Getting one when it arrives in SG.

shall we gather those interested to go down buy together? maybe will have discounts or more freebies?

shall we gather those interested to go down buy together? maybe will have discounts or more freebies?

Interested. But still no news of local availability date.. =(

I was told it will be in SG next 1-2 week..... I am waiting to get it :)

I was told it will be in SG next 1-2 week. I am waiting to get it :)
price is around $1100 - $1200 (this I am not so sure.... but base on US pricing this is possible!!)

Last edited: