Nikon AF VR ED 80-400 f/4.5-5.6 D

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfthong

Mar 1, 2006
Is the Nikon AF VR ED 80-400 f/4.5-5.6 D a good lens to invest? I knew that it is a very slow lens but picture quality at 300 to 400 is it good or is it better to invest in the 70-200 VR + 2x teleconv.

Thank

Got the lens. Love it... It is sharp... with a 1.4X converter, it is still sharp.. but will be horribly slow. heheheee... However, depends on what you shoot. if you into nature, this is a good budget lens, however if you into events or portraiture shootings and seldom into nature, then 70-200VR is a good choice for you.

Reno said:
Got the lens. Love it... It is sharp... with a 1.4X converter, it is still sharp.. but will be horribly slow. heheheee... However, depends on what you shoot. if you into nature, this is a good budget lens, however if you into events or portraiture shootings and seldom into nature, then 70-200VR is a good choice for you.

Since Nikon AF VR ED 80-400 f/4.5-5.6 D with 1.4x Teleconverter is still sharp as you say..what about Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro with 1.4x Teleconverter? Are there converter suitable with this lens? Because I don't find one here

glay78 said:
what about Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro with 1.4x Teleconverter? Are there converter suitable with this lens? Because I don't find one here

erh... nope... never try before...

glay78 said:
Since Nikon AF VR ED 80-400 f/4.5-5.6 D with 1.4x Teleconverter is still sharp as you say..what about Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro with 1.4x Teleconverter? Are there converter suitable with this lens? Because I don't find one here

i tried my kenko 300DG 2x on that lens... able to focus but slower than turtle :sweat:, sharpness wise not yet tested

ExplorerZ said:
i tried my kenko 300DG 2x on that lens... able to focus but slower than turtle :sweat:, sharpness wise not yet tested

2X converter is out for the 80-400, it is so horribly slowww and the pic sucks big time. 1.4X works well.

glay78 said:

Sigma probably didnt list that lens to use with a TC because its AF usability will drop tremendously. In any case if ure looking for a suitable TC for this particular lens, you can also consider Kenko and Tamron. One thing to note also, for the use of a TC, the loss of optical quality is not only sharpness but also occurance of CA, loss of contrast etc.

The 70-200 will have superior handling over to an 80-400 even with a TC attached. However do note the price - 70-200 with a nikon TC is almost double the price of 80-400. Optics wise, both lenses may be very close - unfortunately i havent really tested the image of both lenses to verify this. Hope this helped:)

ExplorerZ said:

Miles said:
Sigma probably didnt list that lens to use with a TC because its AF usability will drop tremendously. In any case if ure looking for a suitable TC for this particular lens, you can also consider Kenko and Tamron. One thing to note also, for the use of a TC, the loss of optical quality is not only sharpness but also occurance of CA, loss of contrast etc.

The 70-200 will have superior handling over to an 80-400 even with a TC attached. However do note the price - 70-200 with a nikon TC is almost double the price of 80-400. Optics wise, both lenses may be very close - unfortunately i havent really tested the image of both lenses to verify this. Hope this helped:)

Cool thanks...how much does the kenko 300DG cost? Or are there 1.4x rather than 2x?

Reno said:
there are both 1.4X and 2X for kenko... cost wise... $200+
Correction for Kenko 300DG TeleConverter: 1.4x, 2x, and 3x.

Regards,
Arto.

Seems abit OT leh. :think: Was wondering is it good or not too. :dunno:

Don't get. Get 70-200VR + 2X TC, add a 1.7X TC or 1.4TC or simply get all 3 TCs.

the Nikon AF VR ED 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 D is slow because it doesn't come with silent wave motor technology. which explains why it's slow. it is almost the equivalant of the 80-200 AF-D version.

when attached to a teleconverter, you need to bring down the aperture value to maybe 7-9 so that it performs the AF at it's best. naturally, most 3rd party TCs does not support the VR function.

the big question is, why do you need a 400mm lens? it's not the lens to have unless you do birding. for sports, you could get the 300mm f/4 or the 300mm f/2.8 (if you have loads to spend)

Liew said:
the Nikon AF VR ED 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 D is slow because it doesn't come with silent wave motor technology. which explains why it's slow. it is almost the equivalant of the 80-200 AF-D version.

when attached to a teleconverter, you need to bring down the aperture value to maybe 7-9 so that it performs the AF at it's best. naturally, most 3rd party TCs does not support the VR function.

the big question is, why do you need a 400mm lens? it's not the lens to have unless you do birding. for sports, you could get the 300mm f/4 or the 300mm f/2.8 (if you have loads to spend)
IIRC, 80-400 cannot attach teleconverter.

And bringing down the aperture to f/7~9 doesn't speed up AF. The aperture is still remain wide open when mounted, w/ a 1.4TC it still remains f/6.3~7.8, stepping down to any smaller aperture values will not speed up AF.

_espn_ said:
Don't get. Get 70-200VR + 2X TC, add a 1.7X TC or 1.4TC or simply get all 3 TCs.

when attached to the TC, does it affect the photo quality of the len? I knew it will affect the speed.

sfthong said:
when attached to the TC, does it affect the photo quality of the len? I knew it will affect the speed.
It will affect the photo quality. 2x worse than 1.7x. 1.7x worse than 1.4x. How much worse :dunno: .

Regards,
Arto.

Artosoft said:
It will affect the photo quality. 2x worse than 1.7x. 1.7x worse than 1.4x. How much worse :dunno: .

Regards,
Arto.
You got proof? Have you seen/printed the images from it?

_espn_ said:
You got proof? Have you seen/printed the images from it?

Welcome back!

Status
Not open for further replies.