Nikon 50mm f1.8D Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.
digipat2003 said:
anyone got pics taken with 50mm lens and 18-70mm dx lens, both shots at 50mm focal length ? maybe we can do a comparison and finds out whether the difference is really great :D

ok... just did a shot using 50mm and the 50mm on the 18-70mm DX... the results are quite stunning! :eek:

Let me resize and upload to my server.

ok... here's the result. Both taken at exact setting and position.

Nikon DX AF-S 18-70mm ED @ 50mm
18-70.jpg

Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.8D
50.jpg

tot 18-70 at 50mm is the same as 50mm. from the pic they are diff... 18-70 at 50mm seems Wider then 50mm :think:

seems that 50mm f1.8d got a narrow perspective :think: , but quality wise cant tell much difference, from my eyes :D

The 50 1.8 focal length increases slightly when focused closer.

sam_always said:
tot 18-70 at 50mm is the same as 50mm. from the pic they are diff... 18-70 at 50mm seems Wider then 50mm :think:

On zoom lens, the marking can be quite misleading. Even the EXIF may not refer to the exact focal length. The photos shows that the perspective from both are about the same, and with a slightly different crop.

I'll like to know, what is the objective of this test?

From my own experience, the prime lens (50mm f1.8) offers better colour contrast (which can only be realised in a properly lit scene), and nice sharp focus (which will be seen in portraits), and low edge fall off/distortions (brick wall test). The 18-70 is a pretty good lens especially considering the price, and a versatile range. But the 50 f1.8 does have a larger aperture, can focus better in dim lights and is much smaller and cheaper! Personally, the 50 shoots portraits with more 'punch' than the 18-70. This may be subjective, but I don't like to measure...

in fact we cant tell the difference on prints rite ? unless we print more than 8R ? :think:

digipat2003 said:
seems that 50mm f1.8d got a narrow perspective :think: , but quality wise cant tell much difference, from my eyes :D

agree .....does that mean no need to spend $$$ on a prime 50mm?

AJ23 said:
For a fair and competent comparison, both pics must be at 100% crop, not reduced size. :)

AJ23, i keep coming across this phrase "100% cropped"....what does it mean in English?? :dunno:

zorro18 said:
agree .....does that mean no need to spend $$$ on a prime 50mm?

:dunno: , still trying to figure whether izzi worth to invest :D

I bought the 50mm f1.8 while using the 18-70DX, the quality is apparent even at 4R. But each person has a different sensitivity towards sharpness, contrast, etc. Maybe you can borrow the 50mm and try before buying. Or you can buy, then sell. At less than $200 new, you can't go too wrong.

yowch said:
I bought the 50mm f1.8 while using the 18-70DX, the quality is apparent even at 4R. But each person has a different sensitivity towards sharpness, contrast, etc. Maybe you can borrow the 50mm and try before buying. Or you can buy, then sell. At less than $200 new, you can't go too wrong.

tks yowch :D so normally u shoot portrait with your 50mm ? half body , 3/4 body or full body ?

I have had it only 1 week or so! :) :) I shoot heads only for adults, but full body most often, as I have two rather small children (2+ years and 6 months). :) :) I have also shot quite some other children and adults, mostly candids and casual, and the 50mm has been really nice. The only thing is no zoom versatility. And I do have 4R prints for the shots that I made.

yowch said:
I have had it only 1 week or so! :) :) I shoot heads only for adults, but full body most often, as I have two rather small children (2+ years and 6 months). :) :) I have also shot quite some other children and adults, mostly candids and casual, and the 50mm has been really nice. The only thing is no zoom versatility. And I do have 4R prints for the shots that I made.

congrat yowch on your new born baby ;) and tks for the advise.

talking about this lense...where is the place/shop to get it at a very attractive price? ;)

Just chiming in ...

re: 100% crop ... from what I've read, it almost always referred to you taking a crop (small part) of an image that is not reduced (100%) ... this is to show any differences between similar images. If you resize the image, then you're comparing something that Photoshop has processed for you. Therefore, for a fair comparison, take a 300x200 pixel crop from a part of the image that has detail, and compare.

re: chisiang's two images, that's a good attempt, and I concur with yowch ... the lens is not a micrometer, and zoom lens markings are only approximate. The closest, in my opinion, you can come to comparing, is to set your camera on a tripod, light up the scene properly, and then frame the image on the left and right sides on something, perhaps a couple of objects placed there. Then you will get exactly the same perspective between the 50mm and the 18-70mm at "50mm" setting.

Also, ensure that the aperture and shutter speeds are exactly the same, that means using manual exposure. Otherwise you're comparing apples to durians .. there's just too much variability.

And one reason I bought my 50mm f/1.8 ... you cannot shoot the 18-70mm at f/1.8, and there are times when you cannot use flash or a high ISO ... so you are either shooting blurred images at f/3.5 or sharper ones at f/1.8. Let's conveniently ignore the depth-of-field at f/1.8, shall we ;) ...

This picture is not well taken but just to demonstrate the ability to shoot in low lighting conditions.

This picture was taken with ISO800 handheld!! :bigeyes:

50mmf18.jpg

Nikon D70
2004/10/05 21:04:59.1
RAW (12-bit) Lossless
Image Size: Large (3008 x 2000)
Lens: 50mm F/1.8 D
Focal Length: 50mm
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
1/60 sec - F/1.8
Exposure Comp.: +0.3 EV