Nikon 50mm f1.8D Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

digipat2003

Aug 13, 2004
hi guys, like to check with the owners of this lens, is it really good for portrait ? currently i am using the 18-70mm kit lens but tempted to get this one for portrait, 85mm and 105mm definitely better but over budget for me liao, so will like to know the quality between these two lens at 50mm range. pls advise. tks :D

Hoho... the 50 wins hands down interms of contrast, sharpness. :thumbsup:

now i dilema, only got enough budget for one budget lens :think: shd i get the nikon f1.8D 50mm or the sigma 70-300mm APO II or shd i stick to my 18-70mm dx ? for the time being i will mainly concentrate on portrait and studio. anyone can advise ? of cos me know the final decision lies on me but need some good advise from experience users of these two lens. tks ;)

espn pls dun advise buy both :bsmilie:

digipat2003 said:
now i dilema, only got enough budget for one budget lens :think: shd i get the nikon f1.8D 50mm or the sigma 70-300mm APO II or shd i stick to my 18-70mm dx ? for the time being i will mainly concentrate on portrait and studio. anyone can advise ? of cos me know the final decision lies on me but need some good advise from experience users of these two lens. tks ;)

don't buy both lah ... just get the 50mm & the 70-300 lah :bsmilie:

I'm also interested in getting the 50mm f1.8, primarily for indoor usage where a faster lens could help. But would using this on a D70 be okay? There's a 1.5X crop factor right? So its not really "normal" lens then right?

Or have I misunderstood what this means?

The 50mm is sharp, its contrasty, its big aperture, its cheap, its light, I think every photographer should get 1 :D

If you're looking at portraits, you can consider the few - 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.4. The 70-300 won't help much in portraiture.

i have the AF 50mm f1.8 D lens for 5 days now. on the d70, this becomes a 75mm lens. it's perfect for portraits. and with f1.8, it is great for low light too. just watch for camera shake and focus as DOF is very shallow at those apertures. i like it very much for portrait, though it's a little too long as a walk-around lens, i kept finding myself wanting to include more in the picture and not enough space to "step back".

The 50mm f1.8 is superb both for portrait and outdoor, image is sharp and very good contrast. On top of that super cheap so won't feel heart pain even if u drop it. My favourite lens.
For portrait need to get a bit closer so the subject may not like it though. luckily i use it to take photos of my baby, so the only thing she does is try to touch the lens.

renegade, no difference leh like that :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

tks guys for the advise, appreciate that, hope we can meet one of these days for some gathering and shooutout ;)

Can, organize a outing, where everyone only allow to use the 50mm, no zoom, no wide angle, no tele :devil:

any MO of this lense? ;)

I've got no complaint of this lense except that at wide open, you need to take your time to focus because of the extreme short depth of field.

lenscap.jpg

The focus was set on the last 'n' of NIKON and even at O it is pretty out of focus liao! :eek:

But it is pin sharp! Cropped from NEF

car.jpg

And nice colour (not the subject but the bokeh in this case :D )

rail.jpg

on film bodies, is the 50mm useful?

can use for portraiture?

digipat2003 said:

If u have the kit lens 18-70mm, u should get the 70-300mm to compliment your range. 50mm sits in-between 18-70, and it is not a walk around lens. 50mm has its purpose, but very limited compared to a wide, zoom or tele. Get 70-300 and u have the extra benefit of using it for macros.

To be frank, a lot of people own a 50mm but they hardly use it. If u have just a D70 body and on a low budget, I'll recommend 50mm to start with and upgrade to 18-70 when u have more budget. ;)

cmsoh, 50mm is 50mm even if used on DSLR with crop factor. The perspective is the same, you just get less of the scene. So the 50mm lens is still a normal lens.

On medium format, 75mm is normal, but that's not because the film is larger, but the fact that the film is set further back while being larger. So effectively, the medium format film 'sees' the same perspective on the 75mm as the 35mm film on the 50mm.

yowch said:
cmsoh, 50mm is 50mm even if used on DSLR with crop factor. The perspective is the same, you just get less of the scene. So the 50mm lens is still a normal lens.

This sure makes it confusing cos with a D70, this means I have the perspective of a 50mm lens and the "pull" of a 50mm lens but the angle of view of a 75mm lens?? Blur already.

Does this mean that the view in the viewfinder of a D70 and a F100 would look different using the same lens?

yowch said:

This is the confusing part. The focal length of the lens cannot change, 50mm is 50mm, that part I understand. But if you want to get the same composition and move backwards (due to the crop factor), won't the perspective of the image change also, since you've change the distance between the lens and the subject? So to a certain extent, the image will be slightly different right?

Status
Not open for further replies.