Nikkor 18-70mm vs 18-200mm

Status
Not open for further replies.
cyberkid said:
My point of asking a series of questions here is just wanna know that whether THE LENS is a better lens to own than a 18-70mm, in other words which 1 between them has the better performance/price ratio? Is it worth while to dig a few more hundred dollars to go for it...:D

obviously, u have not done any homework on these 2 lenses... come to think of it, u dun have any nikon DSLR yet, rite?

wat is better? in wat sense? since u want to measure 'better' as price/performace ratio, the 18-70 beats 18-200 hands down. why? $300 (2nd-hand) vs $1200 (new and not readily available) is a very good reason. u want to talk abt sharpness? IMO, 18-70 will beat 18-200 in terms of sharpness. why? ultra-zooms, by and large, generally produce softer images at the extreme end.

And sorry for didn't tell u wht i wish to shoot as i thought 18-70 is in the range of 18-200 and they belong to the same class;p , hence just wanting u to compare the lens quality side by side.

AF-S 18-70mm/f3.5-4.5G DX vs AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED? same class? hardly... again, wat do u mean by quality? sharpness? colour reproduction? contrast? etc.. etc..

the 18-70, generally by most people, is considered to be the best value for money kit lens ard. the quality of this lens is no slouch (of course, pls dun compare with the pro-grade, thousands of dollars, the famed Trinity lenses). if u think the lens is crap, i suggest u go to www.photoi.com.sg and have a look at last year's Photo of the Year winners. 2 of them were shot using the 18-70.

its also 1-stop faster than the 18-200 on the tele end. ie - u can shoot in slightly lower light condition with the 18-70 at a reasonably higher shutter speed (with the same ISO) with minimal or no hand-shakes, compared to the 18-200. if i sound like i'm talking in greek here to u... then, pls do urself a favour and go pick up a simple photography guidebook. might i suggest "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson.

ok... i can see some people raising their hands in the background - but, 18-200 got VRII mah! it means one can shoot at 2-3 stops lower then f5.6. ie. suppose if at ISO 200, with VRII u might be able to shoot at 1/30 or lower at f5.6 in low light conditions without hand-shakes blurring ur pics. rite?

yeah... true. while VR lessens the likelihood of blur pics due to handshakes, it doesn't freeze action. suppose u want to freeze action at nite. by rite, one way to do it is to use a high-ISO, high shutter speed. BUT, becos of the f5.6, there's a limit to how high a shutter speed can go b4 under-expose kicks in. again, if i sound like i'm talking greek to u, go see above.

And for ur info, I shoot scenaries(landscapes), events(dinners, parties in dimly lit ambience), potrait(family, traveling memories) and snapshots(random n casual shots).

u obviously din read espn's post carefully abt buying the "1 lens rules them all'...

u want to shoot all the above ALL THE TIME, MOST OF THE TIME, or SOME OF THE TIME? u just listed 4 distinct activities which might be able to cover by either the 18-70 or 18-200. however, since 2 of the activities require dim/low-light condition, are u going to get a flash? if not, u will soon come complaining abt 'how come my pics are so dark?', or 'how come my subjects all blur?' questions. these 4 activities, IMO, requires/recommends different types of lenses. again, wat to buy depends on whether are u going to use it for wat events MOST OF THE TIME.

so, pls. go and read up more from books and from online reviews abt the lenses. heck... methinks u need to read up abt photography first (if u are starting from scratch). if u haven't buy ur d70s yet, why not just buy the kit set and start shooting with the 18-70 b4 deciding to plunge serious moolah for the 18-200?

postscript - in case anyone thinks i'm dissing the 18-200 as a piece of crap lens... far from it. as a general purpose/travel 1-lens-rules-them-all kind of lens, this is good value for money. by the fact that it has VR, IF and ED means dat it beats all competition from 3rd-party (eg sigma/tamron's 18-200mm). however, it also means one has to pay top-dollar for these features ($1200 vs $400+-500+ for 3rd party). the extra 130mm reach of the long end makes this more attractive as a travel lens compared to the 18-70. again, depends on wat one wants to use it for most of the time.

If you dont have time to do some research and find out what you need, what makes you think that other people have to come and answer all of your questions? Especially when a lot of the answers can be readily found using the search function.

Start off with the kit set first and work your way from there. Both the 18-70 and the 18-200 are good lenses. If your pic doesnt come out well, then it is PLBV. Go borrow a few books from the National Library, get some basics before you plunge in.

@nightwolf75

Well, thanks first of all.
Who say I didn't read up books and online resources?
But sometimes it is really hard to make the first step after reading too much reviews...:( U won't know my feeling..This is because different ppl hav different opinions and preference i think, who knows? :dunno:
Unless u start buying, then u will start the ball rolling, then u get more experience from wht u buy..rite?
Like what i said in previous post, i just need recommendations from u all pros and I wanna see wht is ur reason for tht decision...
See? Even in this forum there r some who advised me to take body&18-200 and some body&18-70...
Relax, i do my homework, u give ur advice! I m learning!

safest. get the kit set. 18-200 can come later. Minimize losses if you think photography is not your cup of tea.

I have this thinking:

If i buy 18-70, next time no chance buy 18-200... They contradict ! (either one would be kept in the cupboard)
I would rather buy 70-300 to cover the range..

If i buy 18-200, I would not buy 70-300 in future, just consider the Wide Angle lens if i am serious in landscape photography...

So have to decide on either 18-70 or 18-200? Am I worry too much?:embrass:

nightwolf75 is right. You really didn't do your research.

I suggest you change your thinking. Get 18-70 why cant get 18-200? Change that train of thought. Currently you got no idea what you are going for. If you really want to start, get the kit set as a starter.

espn said:
nightwolf75 is right. You really didn't do your research.
Whtever u like to say
No point cheating myself

TMC said:
I suggest you change your thinking. Get 18-70 why cant get 18-200? Change that train of thought. Currently you got no idea what you are going for. If you really want to start, get the kit set as a starter.
Coz if got 18-200 liao why bother to use 18-70?

TMC said:
Exactly my point I raise earlier on page 2. Obviously didn't digest. :(

cyberkid said:
Lazy to search around laa...
Summore no time mah!
Could somebody really devote his time to help me?
I am seriously considering between the two before buying the D70s!
Thanks in advance
:bigeyes: :bsmilie: actually we are also lazy in helping lazy people .

cyberkid said:
haha, enlightened again:D
Thx espn...:bsmilie:
I've nothing against you, but your thinking needs to be changed.

Like I mentioned, 18-200 is a great glass. But most of the people I know that own this walkabout glass, owns other expensive glasses or other overlapping range glass. Why?

Cos the 18-200 cannot fulfill what other dedicated glasses can achieve to do.

Nikon did not come out with 18-200 to compete with it's own range, it's creation was to supplement the series.

As for why I don't bother comparing 18-70DX vs 18-200DX is because nw75 has raised several good points in his post #41 of this thread. He might sound frustrated, but he has given a lot of good help in the posts. Try reading through.

So espn, if u were me, u go for 18-70 or 18-200 ? :)

Hi,

In all fairness, I think the people helping here have been very patient already. The question by itself is impossible to answer to make the threadstarter happy.

Just to share: I got my D70s 3 mths ago, and I seem to want a different lens every other week. Best thing I ever did was not to buy anything on impulse (expensive..haha), but just depend on the trusty kit lens and take more photos to find out what I like taking.

Coincidence or not, but I am gravitating towards the 18-200 too. For me, quality is not a big issue, but i want to carry light and not worry about switching lens. However the 70-200 range, I require only about 5% of my shots, so I will be holding the purchase back until I go travelling (excuse for the wife, haha).

From above, no one can say I am wrong. Its my needs and I know best. I read up all the posts from before, other resources too. There is so much info around that I do not have to start any thread to find out what I need. The most impt thing is to internalise for oneself and think about what suits you best. It might be the holy trinity or just a 50mm but its up to you.

So my only advice to the threadstarter is maybe to stop asking, take some time off to clear your head and think about your needs.

Cheers!

cyberkid said:
But sometimes it is really hard to make the first step after reading too much reviews...:( U won't know my feeling..This is because different ppl hav different opinions and preference i think, who knows? :dunno:
Unless u start buying, then u will start the ball rolling, then u get more experience from wht u buy..rite?

There is 2 ways to failure, one of them is listening to everybody's advice and the other is listening to nobody's advice.

What nightwolf75 point out is true, if you are not sure, get the kit lens first and try it and shoot to understand what is the pros and cons. By then, if you learn more, maybe you will decide that 18-200mm is not what you want.

If you insist that 18-200mm will suit your needs, then by all means go and get it.

cyberkid said:
So espn, if u were me, u go for 18-70 or 18-200 ? :)
Argghhhhhh you didn't get what I'm trying to say!!!!!!!

:mad2: :mad2:

Sick Chicken said:
Hi,

In all fairness, I think the people helping here have been very patient already. The question by itself is impossible to answer to make the threadstarter happy.

Just to share: I got my D70s 3 mths ago, and I seem to want a different lens every other week. Best thing I ever did was not to buy anything on impulse (expensive..haha), but just depend on the trusty kit lens and take more photos to find out what I like taking.

Coincidence or not, but I am gravitating towards the 18-200 too. For me, quality is not a big issue, but i want to carry light and not worry about switching lens. However the 70-200 range, I require only about 5% of my shots, so I will be holding the purchase back until I go travelling (excuse for the wife, haha).

From above, no one can say I am wrong. Its my needs and I know best. I read up all the posts from before, other resources too. There is so much info around that I do not have to start any thread to find out what I need. The most impt thing is to internalise for oneself and think about what suits you best. It might be the holy trinity or just a 50mm but its up to you.

So my only advice to the threadstarter is maybe to stop asking, take some time off to clear your head and think about your needs.

Cheers!

Anyway, I just like him when I start out, blur blur don't know what to get, then come Bro espn tell you buy the whole Nikon warehouse.... :bsmilie: .......... but I learn a lot from him and many bro here.... now just waiting for good chance (MO actually) for the lens..... but alas, bro espn will say MTL, BBBB first...... :sweat:

Yo bro, saw your Dark List of Lens (aka equipment list on lens)..........
I am gear towards some of those lens like
1. already have 12-24mm- for lanscape and scenery, but basket, go get a UV rather than a Polariser, don't know can go back and change.... :embrass:
2. waiting for the 50mm/f1.8 (for Potrait, cheap and good)
3. Eyeing the SB800 and
4. Micro 105/f2.8D (for macro)...... now just trying to find out more on the flash system require for macro....

The above will last me for a while unless Time magazine or National Geographic ask me go take some Africa wildlife or the Middle East war ....... :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.