Night Shot in Perth

LArdius

Feb 2, 2009
Singapore
IMG_7757.jpg

In what area is critique to be sought?
Framing, Composition, color

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Included the landscape to complement the sky and stars

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
shot at 10pm, F-4, ISO 250, Exposure 61secs

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
It being the first time I have shot a landscape photo. I thought it was pretty okay, initially, I wanted to just take photo of the stars, but I couldnt get a good shot and felt that the sky and stars were very 'flat'. So I included the ground hoping to complement the sky.

Maybe you want to try using ND filter? A 9-stop would have a better trails of the stars and making sure the lights at the bottoms are not overblown. Look for the North star as your centre point, you will be able to achieve a better result.. hope it help.. :)

Hi, I am aware that for star trails, i need an extremely long exposure time. How do I achieve that? I was looking for an external power source, but it seems to all be extremely bulky.

LArdius said:
Hi, I am aware that for star trails, i need an extremely long exposure time. How do I achieve that? I was looking for an external power source, but it seems to all be extremely bulky.

U just need a fully charged good working battery.

U dun shoot a super long exposure. I dun recommended dat.

U can instead shoot a series of shorter long exposures (like time lapse) then stack them into a single photo.

Nice one! =)

You may want to get an intervalometer to control the timing (be it single long exposure or multiple shots for stacking). For a longer power source, can consider using a grip.

How does this picture evoke Perth? It looks like it could be from anywhere.

Well, you could just label it as 'star trails in Perth', probably just aim your photo towards the sky and minus off the green landscape.
I bet the stars are much more interesting than the green pastures...

Sorry can I confirm the light trail is actually star?
With 61sec can produce such long star trail?
I thought it was aeroplane flying pass by.