Night Photography at Marina Barrage

Status
Not open for further replies.
ai ya bro...u didn't call me...tot u haf my no.?!...

Forget to note down. Haizz

Yup. I am the biggest guy there (bui kia) with the smallest camera there and the cheapo tripod with my Cokin filters. Indeed a lot of photogs with expensive equipment there. I see everyone bring out the big big manfrottos that I feel so pai seh to take out my cheapo pod.

I always shoot solo most of the time. Never in a group bigger than 3. Curse of a landscape photog. To see the pics, see here.

Mine camera also cheapo one...with SZ-16 tripod. Others angmo all tripod is either $100 plus dollars one

I think for a few minutes you were shooting next to me.

Sorry to ask you a offensive question , are you a quite a plump guy wearing red or relevent colour shirt? and a cap?

Hi everyone !
Thanks for coming !
We are lucky to have great looking clouds last evening !:D
I am sure everyone have some great captures as well. Do share your works. :D

Sorry to ask you a offensive question , are you a quite a plump guy wearing red or relevent colour shirt? and a cap?

No offense taken. Yup, thats me. Dark red polo, faded red cap, bui kia (fat kid), except that I am not a kid anymore. Turning 40 soon. LOL.

Ya, mine is slightly above cheapo (but still cheapo). Cost me $40 USD when I bought it in California when I was still living there. It was a Velbon and it was on Sale!!

Last edited:
One more from this session:

3845018647_efa7b3f5a8_o.jpg

No offense taken. Yup, thats me. Dark red polo, faded red cap, bui kia (fat kid), except that I am not a kid anymore. Turning 40 soon. LOL.

Ya, mine is slightly above cheapo (but still cheapo). Cost me $40 USD when I bought it in California when I was still living there. It was a Velbon and it was on Sale!!

Oh, sorry.

Mine is Stein zeiner..
Kana **** de brand.

But i dont see any point of getting at $100 plus tripod.

Oh, sorry.

Mine is Stein zeiner..
Kana **** de brand.

But i dont see any point of getting at $100 plus tripod.

Once you take a lot of long exposures like me, you will see the need for a good tripod. Actually, in landscape photography, getting a stable tripod is more important than getting a better lens. This is because we F-stop down to F8-F11, used ND filters and do long exp. That's why most pictures are sharp if the tripod is stable. Kit lens also can make it.

I am looking to upgrade my tripod, but economy sucks, cannot anyhow spend.:nono:

Camera on tripod, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Cokin P ND8+GND4 filters.
Exposure info: 1/20s F8 ISO100. tirggered via remote.

Wah. i think the next thing i should get is a trigger.

Once you take a lot of long exposures like me, you will see the need for a good tripod. Actually, in landscape photography, getting a stable tripod is more important than getting a better lens. This is because we F-stop down to F8-F11, used ND filters and do long exp. That's why most pictures are sharp if the tripod is stable. Kit lens also can make it.

I am looking to upgrade my tripod, but economy sucks, cannot anyhow spend.:nono:

Oh , i think you can leave your tripod at one side..and then use wireless trigger.

you outdated la , economy getting better and better already. Can start and start to buy already.;)

Oh , i think you can leave your tripod at one side..and then use wireless trigger.

you outdated la , economy getting better and better already. Can start and start to buy already.;)

For you maybe economy better. ;)

But for my poor old pocket, economy still very bad. ;:)cry:

Hi everyone !
Thanks for coming !
We are lucky to have great looking clouds last evening !:D
I am sure everyone have some great captures as well. Do share your works. :D

Thanks Fabian for organising this outing.
Great to meet the guys who came. Yes, have a great time. Learn some new tips as well for newbie like myself.

I go start a "Night Photography at Marina Barrage" thread at photo gallery. Those guys who are there last night, do share your captured shoots/works.:)

Agree with daredevil , getting a stable tripod is more important than getting a better lens as we always F-stop down to F8-F11 to get optimal sharpness
kit lens is good enough for long exposure shots especially for Nikon. I am seeing options to buy ND, GND and good tripod too.
I also realised I need ND and GND to get the correct exposure during the shoot at marina barrage. Trying to get shots like daredevil but realised it is either under-expose on the foreground or over-exposure on the sky

Pictures taken with kit lens =)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/redsuns85/sets/72157621809089863/

Last edited:
Trigger cheap cheap oni mah. The nikon one is around $20. Sony one I dunno.

If you don't want to spend unnecessarily, then you can save the $20 also. The alternative has always been on your camera. Its called the timer. You scene isn't going to run away, use it.

If you don't want to spend unnecessarily, then you can save the $20 also. The alternative has always been on your camera. Its called the timer. You scene isn't going to run away, use it.

That's true also. That's how I started too.

But when you start do one exposure after the next in quick succession, it might make sense to get the trigger. Plus, for bulb mode, the trigger is needed. Especially for my camera where the selectable exposure is limited to 30s.

Last edited:
Agree with daredevil , getting a stable tripod is more important than getting a better lens as we always F-stop down to F8-F11 to get optimal sharpness
kit lens is good enough for long exposure shots especially for Nikon. I am seeing options to buy ND, GND and good tripod too.
I also realised I need ND and GND to get the correct exposure during the shoot at marina barrage. Trying to get shots like daredevil but realised it is either under-expose on the foreground or over-exposure on the sky

Redsun85,

Don't take pictures like mine la. I am not that good. Take pictures like the seniors and the pros. BTW I saw your flickr photos. Your pictures are awesome!

For ND and GND filters, I recommend the Cokin P system or if you want to save a little money, you can get Tianya also (which is much like a copy of Cokin). I do find some flaws and unevenness on Tianya GND or ND filters. So if you do Tianya, better open up and check piece by piece.

Last edited:
haha, your pictures are pro enough ! Thanks for the Tips on Tianya and Cokin P system.

RedSun85,
your pics looks good and pro as well.
Share your photos taken that evening in the photo gallery I created --

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5379145#post5379145

Status
Not open for further replies.