Newbie to Photography on 60D

ant0800 where U plan to take photos? I might be able to join U cause I just rent a 60D with a prime 1.2L lens and EF-S 18-200mm zoom lens before I confirm to buy. In this case maybe I ask one of my friends out (who is quite pro) to show us some pointers. Pls post at the gathering session if possible. See ya.

Last edited:
Hello Ant0800 - You from P21 too? I'm also new to learn about photo taking.. if U ok we can arrange to shoot! around P21 during weekend.:bsmilie:

Hi All seniors and fellow shooters, I am a total newbie to the world of photography. Just got myself a Canon ESO 60D and looking to learn from everyone here. Just got the 60D with kit I lens (EF S18-55). Now considering to get a good value 'beginner' tripod to go shooting with you guys (mentioned that no coaching on outing if no tripod). Do hope for some advice from all here... :D

Hello Ant0800 - You from P21 too? I'm also new to learn about photo taking.. if U ok we can arrange to shoot! around P21 during weekend.:bsmilie:

Sure thingy... I will PM you my contacts... but this weekend maybe not too free... thinking to go tripod shopping or going in JB jalan jalan... ;p

Last edited:
I am 1.78m, with budget of $200 and looking at the following tripods:

Fotopro C5i Colorful 2 in 1 Travel Tripod(+Monopod) - $230 Local shop
• CNC machined and harden anodized finishing body.
• 2 in 1 design,One leg can be released and used as a Monopod.
• Folded size:43cm
• Min operating H.:11cm
• Max operating H.:157cm
• Net weight:1.17kgs
• Loading capability:8kgs
• Max Tube:25mm diameter
• 4-section

Specification about Fotopro 51G Panhead
• Camera mounting screw:U1/4.
• Tripod mounting screw:U3/8.
• 36mm diameter ball.
• Net weight:400grams.
• Max Loading Capacity:12kgs.

OR

HorusBennu NEO-1128TT Traveler Camera Tripod MonoPod + LX-1T Ball Head - $226 Online
• Magnesium alloy body.
• Folded size:48.5cm
• Min operating H.:10cm
• Max operating H.:140cm
• Net weight:1.25kgs
• Loading capability:6kgs
• 4-section

Specification about HorusBennu LX-1T Ball Head
• Mounting screw:U1/4 or U3/8.
• Net weight:260grams.
• Max Loading Capacity:4kgs.

OR

HorusBennu 747X Excalibur tripod + NS-BH1 Ball HEAD - $93 Online / $125 Local shop
• Aluminium body.
• Folded size:48.5cm
• Min operating H.:15cm
• Max operating H.:144.5cm
• Net weight:1.15kgs
• Loading capability:18kgs
• 4-section

Specification about HorusBennu NS-BH1 Ball HEAD
• Mounting screw:U1/4 or U3/8.
• Net weight:290grams.
• Max Loading Capacity:7kgs.

Any reviews or comments or suggestions greatly appreaciated... Looking to get my 1st trip this weekend if possible so can start joining the outings... :)

Have you looked at Benro or Sirui tripods? They make good tripods and are within your budget

Have you looked at Benro or Sirui tripods? They make good tripods and are within your budget

I have not really looked into the 2 bands you mentioned as yet... but seems like Sirui ones that most ppl use is $200+ and max height 1.3m+... issn't it abit too low for me...

I have not really looked into the 2 bands you mentioned as yet... but seems like Sirui ones that most ppl use is $200+ and max height 1.3m+... issn't it abit too low for me...

Not all Sirui models are short, you can have a look at TK foto, for Benro you can have a look at Benphoto. I actually considered a Sirui T1004X but decided not to get it because of the height, got myself a benro instead.

Im 1.83m and I recently got a Sirui N-1004 with the K10x ballhead for $230 with 6 years warranty. Comes with a monopod feature and extends high enough for me.
The total weight of the aluminium setup is 1.55kg, which is considerably lighter than the Manfrotto CF tripods.

The package included a short column, nice padded bag, tripod strap, allen keys and extra monopod mount adaptor.

I highly recommend that you take a look at the Fotopro tripods, open them, play around with it, then go feel the Benro tripods, then Cathay to see the Manfrottos, and then TK foto to try out the Sirui tripods.

It's only a short walk between these shops and I'm sure you'll find yourself very statisfied with your purchase, no matter which one you choose.

Im 1.83m and I recently got a Sirui N-1004 with the K10x ballhead for $230 with 6 years warranty. Comes with a monopod feature and extends high enough for me.
The total weight of the aluminium setup is 1.55kg, which is considerably lighter than the Manfrotto CF tripods.

The package included a short column, nice padded bag, tripod strap, allen keys and extra monopod mount adaptor.

Looks like Sirui N-1004 + K10x for $230 looks a good deal...

I am 1.78m, with budget of $200 and looking at the following tripods:

Just for your reference. I'm about your height. Using a manfrotto probx055 and a gear head. Viewfinder is almost at my eye level and I can comfortably take photos without hunching and it is really stable. However, this tripod is quite bulky even fully retract and relatively heavy at almost 4kg. However, I don't find it inconvenient carrying it around.

Perhaps you want some background on the 2 brands you mentioned... Fotopro and HorusBennu.

Fotopro is a tripod manufacturer in south China. It is actually one of the smaller players. Their products are not bad, though not very popular in China.

HorusBennu is a Korean company, but IIRC, they do not manufacture. They source their products from other companies (mostly in China) who manufacture their products and stick the HorusBennu brand on top.

Benro is the one of the largest manufacturer of tripods in China. Benro also owns Induro brand. Sirui is another big player in China. Their target segment is the medium range of tripod users, the valueseekers. These 2 brands are considered "branded" in China.

Another big player is Weifeng, who basically concentrates on making low cost tripods traditionally. They also own and produce the "Fancier" brand of tripods. Their Fancier FT-6662A was one of China's all time top selling tripod (yes the $60+ one you see in mass sales). It sells for even less in China at retail shops.

Other players in the tripod industry in China are brands like Triopo (which is not bad also). Not as popular as well, but they get more recognition in China than Fotopro.

Kangrinpoche is based in south china also, but they only manufacture high end ball heads. Their ball heads perform very very well, matching and at times exceeding the ones from Markins (korea).

Last edited:
Perhaps you want some background on the 2 brands you mentioned... Fotopro and HorusBennu.

Fotopro is a tripod manufacturer in south China. It is actually one of the smaller players. Their products are not bad, though not very popular in China.

HorusBennu is a Korean company, but IIRC, they do not manufacture. They source their products from other companies (mostly in China) who manufacture their products and stick the HorusBennu brand on top.

Benro is the one of the largest manufacturer of tripods in China. Benro also owns Induro brand. Sirui is another big player in China. Their target segment is the medium range of tripod users, the valueseekers. These 2 brands are considered "branded" in China.

Another big player is Weifeng, who basically concentrates on making low cost tripods traditionally. They also own and produce the "Fancier" brand of tripods. Their Fancier FT-6662A was one of China's all time top selling tripod (yes the $60+ one you see in mass sales). It sells for even less in China at retail shops.

Other players in the tripod industry in China are brands like Triopo (which is not bad also). Not as popular as well, but they get more recognition in China than Fotopro.

Kangrinpoche is based in south china also, but they only manufacture high end ball heads. Their ball heads perform very very well, matching and at times exceeding the ones from Markins (korea).

Thank you for the details explaination... guess to me branding not so important but more of good steady, ease to use, value for $ tripod...

After somemore 'research' and comparing, think I narrow down my choices to the following 2 tripods selling for same price of $230 from local stores.

Fotopro C5i Colorful 2 in 1 Travel Tripod(+Monopod)
• CNC machined and harden anodized finishing body.
• Folded size:43cm
• Min operating H.:11cm
• Max operating H.:157cm
• Net weight:1.17kgs
• Loading capability:8kgs
• 4-section

Specification about Fotopro 51G Panhead
• Camera mounting screw:U1/4.
• Tripod mounting screw:U3/8.
• 36mm diameter ball.
• Net weight:400grams.
• Max Loading Capacity:12kgs.

OR

Sirui N-1004 with the K10x ballhead
• Aluminium Alloy body.
• Folded size:44cm
• Min operating H.:16cm
• Max operating H.:156cm
• Net weight:1.2kgs
• Loading capability:12kgs
• 4-section

Specification about Sirui K10x ballhead
• 33mm diameter ball.
• Net weight:350grams.
• Max Loading Capacity:20kgs.

:think::dunno::think:

Welcome Anthony, great to see you here.
As for the tripod, go for Sirui with 6yrs warranty.
I also got the N1004 with K20X.

Last edited:
hi, i am also new. just got a 60D with 18-200 kit.

anyone tried the joby tripod?

Welcome Anthony, great to see you here.
As for the tripod, go for Sirui with 6yrs warranty.
I also got the N1004 with K20X.

Hi Faizal... missed your recommendation post but just went TK and got the N1004 + K20X... haha... seems like my 'on-the-spot' choice is a good 1... ;p

i think i'm getting a sirui 1004 as a christmas gift too lol.

Ant0800, how much you paid for sirui 1004, thinking of buying. Thanks