Newbie Quest for New Hobby (Key Requirements, Items)

Accessories itself going to cost a bomb. My personal experience:

Extra SD Card: $60
Extra Battery: $35
New Dry Cabinet: $190
Hood: $20
Sirui Tripod: $210
Screen Protector: $10
Camera bag Crumpler: $160
Camera bag KATA: $100
AA batteries for flash: $10
SD card reader: Free!

And much more stuff I haven't got the guts to buy yet...

1) Not necessary to spend so much on a spare SD card. But of course it's up to individual preference.
2) Not really necessary to get spare battery unless camera is heavily used every single outing. Number of shots per charge is pretty impressive. Again, personal preference.
3) Dry cabinet... yeah ok
4) Don't most lenses come with the hood free?
5) Can just use the freebie bag first instead of buying a Crumpler AND a Kata bag :sweat:
6) Buying AA batteries for flash is good idea... IF there is an external flash in the first place ;)

ZerocoolAstra said:
1) Not necessary to spend so much on a spare SD card. But of course it's up to individual preference.
2) Not really necessary to get spare battery unless camera is heavily used every single outing. Number of shots per charge is pretty impressive. Again, personal preference.
5) Can just use the freebie bag first instead of buying a Crumpler AND a Kata bag :sweat:
6) Buying AA batteries for flash is good idea... IF there is an external flash in the first place ;)

Haha bro, we Nikon users get the hood free with lens but not so for Canon users, a lot of the lens hoods are sold separately

Already had a few encounters when my primary battery died on me for overseas shoots. Conserving bat these days turning off the LCD, no delete of files until reach laptop etc.

Shooting raw and HD video for my work so a good SD card is impt :)

I use Canon :(

The freebie bag not enough for my EQ. I got 3 lens and a flash and misc stuff.

Yup. Got an external flash in first place :)

Already had a few encounters when my primary battery died on me for overseas shoots. Conserving bat these days turning off the LCD, no delete of files until reach laptop etc.

Well, I suppose most hobbyists who have been shooting for a while would slowly accumulate gear.
My point is that for a newbie, it isn't especially critical to buy a lot of the stuff you listed.

Can purchase slowly :)
Therefore the 'pain' of starting out can be mitigated to a certain extent ;)

actually i am quite swamp with the various brands and models of the DSLR available. The question comes back to me again on the Cannon 600D. Becos maybe i am so newbie, put the D7000 in my hands and it could be wasted. This morning i was looking at the reviews for 600D, which is better for video i would think from the outcome of the video.

With the damage of about 1.4k it seems that it probably becomes more affordable for me. At least my heart no need to so pain. Btw some of my friends uses a A33 Sony, so their comment was entry level, and easy for shooting. Lesser stress as compared to professional cameras....:confused:

actually i am quite swamp with the various brands and models of the DSLR available. The question comes back to me again on the Cannon 600D. Becos maybe i am so newbie, put the D7000 in my hands and it could be wasted. This morning i was looking at the reviews for 600D, which is better for video i would think from the outcome of the video.

With the damage of about 1.4k it seems that it probably becomes more affordable for me. At least my heart no need to so pain. Btw some of my friends uses a A33 Sony, so their comment was entry level, and easy for shooting. Lesser stress as compared to professional cameras....:confused:

I would advise that the holding is very important. If the holding ( your right hand ) dont grip well, then may affect your picture quality. Also, you are gonna hold the camera for a long time hence i would advise that beside considering the price, the holding is very important.

The other issue may be the insecurity factor. Once u start shooting, u will notice the Dslr ard u and u will be asking if ur camera is good enough or lens big enough. Friends and forum will try to persuade which one better. Like if got a 600d, will be asking why not 60d or 7d or I Shld have gotten nikon since their lens got free hood and worldwide warranty. If u can quash all these thoughts, than get the 600d. Else get the 7000 :)

my opinion

and if you are going to get a kit for shooting family, personal experience is to get a lens that's 18-105/135mm for a start. Eases lens swapping and missing shots in between.

TS, from what you have described, i think a good P&S like the S95 would serve you well enuf. It has manual controls as well but the main downsides are the smaller sensor size and also the inability to use different lenses to suit the situations. But generally, it has functioned quite well in most situations.

If you really want to invest, then i would suggest you buy an entry level DSLR body and use the kit lens for a while. I've come across many who spend big money on expensive equipment only to leave everything in the dry cabinet. There are also those that finds the entry level body and kit lens serve their needs well and no need to buy anymore.

I personally started with the D60 with kit lens, adding on a 70-300mm later. Now i have a D90 and a good collection of lenses accumulated over the last few years. I've never stopped shooting since the D60 days. I also have the S95 for adhoc shooting.

Hope you can grow in the hobby. I find going out for weekend shoots is therapeutic given our hectic work schedules. And they are FREE!!

thanks for the many support to encourage me to take this up as a hobby. I'll go and try out the 3 cameras, 600D, 60D, D7000 and pick 1 out of this 3. Btw for 600D, are there similar like class for Nikon besides D5100? I read from the specs D5100 doesnt have an in built motor.

Last edited:
thanks for the many support to encourage me to take this up as a hobby. I'll go and try out the 3 cameras, 600D, 60D, D7000 and pick 1 out of this 3. Btw for 600D, are there similar like class for Nikon?

The equivalent is the D5100 but it doesn't come with a built-in motor like the D7000

acertey said:
thanks for the many support to encourage me to take this up as a hobby. I'll go and try out the 3 cameras, 600D, 60D, D7000 and pick 1 out of this 3. Btw for 600D, are there similar like class for Nikon?

Nikon D5100, D3100.
Take note of in body focus motor which they lack (no auto focus on certain lenses).

TS only going to look at D7000 and 600D? not considering other brands like pentax and sony? I find value for money more important than brand name.

After using dslr for a while, I have gone pass the stage of admiring and comparing with other hobbyists. At the end of the day, it's the photo produced that matters, not the equipment.

U shld go out and hold all cameras, including Sony, pentax etc.

Never restrict yourself to canon or nikon.

My earlier post abt advising u to get compact lightweight camera? I have a resin for saying this. Other brands do offer better or comparable qualities than canon or nikon.

What yr friends say abt A33 is true. It's lightweight compact and yet it can produce same qualities as canon or nikon, with better features and a lower price.

Be open minded and hold every model u can find.

thanks for the many support to encourage me to take this up as a hobby. I'll go and try out the 3 cameras, 600D, 60D, D7000 and pick 1 out of this 3. Btw for 600D, are there similar like class for Nikon besides D5100? I read from the specs D5100 doesnt have an in built motor.

If you've decided that this is your shortlist, then I guess you should stick to one of these 3. I hope you've at least seriously considered other cameras before coming to this shortlist :)

You probably shouldn't be thinking "____ ('professional') camera is WASTED in my hands"
It's only a matter of whether you wanna spend that kind of $ for it or not :)

and lastly, of the 3 cameras you shortlisted, only the D7000 has an in built motor in the camera body ;)
hehehehehe... confuse you further.

ZerocoolAstra said:
If you've decided that this is your shortlist, then I guess you should stick to one of these 3. I hope you've at least seriously considered other cameras before coming to this shortlist :)

You probably shouldn't be thinking "____ ('professional') camera is WASTED in my hands"
It's only a matter of whether you wanna spend that kind of $ for it or not :)

and lastly, of the 3 cameras you shortlisted, only the D7000 has an in built motor in the camera body ;)
hehehehehe... confuse you further.

60d and 600d have built in motor too.

Agree with bro Zero, don't worry about the "professional" camera being wasted with your current skill level, I'm sure you'll master it eventually. Rather than get an entry level body first and waste more money upgrading once your skills have flourished to the state of needing an upgrade.

rcyrulez said:
60d and 600d have built in motor too.

Agree with bro Zero, don't worry about the "professional" camera being wasted with your current skill level, I'm sure you'll master it eventually. Rather than get an entry level body first and waste more money upgrading once your skills have flourished to the state of needing an upgrade.

IIRC, Canon's motor is on their lenses.. so ZCA is probably right :)

That's weird, it says on the web that it has a built-in focus motor. Just had a feel of th 600D and D7000 earlier during lunch. Felt that D7000 is darn heavy, with the magnesium alloy of cos. Assuming that both of it drop, the D7000 probably has a higher survive percentage. :cool: