Newbie - Help on Exposure (Tree VS Sky)

Status
Not open for further replies.
you should be adjusting the polarizer whilst looking through the viewfinder, so you don't really have to "go back to the frame". You are constantly looking at your subject whilst adjusting the CPL. If you don't move back or forth during this time, your focusing shouldn't be out, or should only be SLIGHTLY out. Be careful not to rotate the focusing ring whilst rotating the CPL, that's all...

you should be adjusting the polarizer whilst looking through the viewfinder, so you don't really have to "go back to the frame". You are constantly looking at your subject whilst adjusting the CPL. If you don't move back or forth during this time, your focusing shouldn't be out, or should only be SLIGHTLY out. Be careful not to rotate the focusing ring whilst rotating the CPL, that's all...

I see.. This is very informative. Thank you so much for your patience and help! =)

no problem! I hope I haven't been giving you wrong info, that's all :bsmilie:

A GND would only work if the horizon is clearly delineated. In this instance, the tress are in the same position as the sky. That pretty much rendered a GND useless.

(slaps forehead) and come on lah....... find me a flash that can lit up an entire scene.....

I am trying to explain the problem. Not just to solve this photograph/scene.

Then you might want to make it clear that the solutions you offered are commonly used techniques but not necessarily applicable to the inistances which TS was referring to or else it would be just plain misleading for someone with very little experience.

yeah... got me confused with the "what the...?" feeling as well.... I see trees everywhere, and there was suggestion of GND and fill flash... so the train of thought goes along that path...

I would think that fill flash is used for something on a smaller scale and the gradual neutral density for a clearly defined landscape (from what I read)

agree at first when I saw fill-flash also kinda confused

Anyway i have another question regarding exposure compensation vs shutter speed.

I look through the live view and find that if i lower the shutter speed, that is to say 1/20, 1/10, 1 sec, it gets brighter. And if shutter speed is faster, it gets darker.

So, should i actually play with the shutter speed? Or should i allow it to be darker and set the exposure compensation higher to +1/+2/+3 etc ?

How do i know under what circumstance to use what?

For Auto, Program, Aperture or Shutter Priority mode:

If a picture is too dark, you +EV

If picture is too light, you -EV

Last edited:
If a picture is too dark, you +EV

If picture is to light, you -EV

Yup. i understand.

What i mean is the priority.

Do i actually adjust the shutter speed so that it gets the correct exposure first?

Or do i take the photo even if its too dark/bright, then adjust the Exposure Compensation +/- accordingly?

Which comes first?

If its scenes you are aftering, you should set the aperture and let the camera work out the shutter speed for you because the depth of field takes precedent. Using aperture priority mode. Yes, you can always dial in compensation for the exposure after taking a test shot.

and I really do think that you should read up on the basics i.e. shutter speed, aperture, etc first before going into things like blending and HDR. You should be solving your problems by learning the basics.

If its scenes you are aftering, you should set the aperture and let the camera work out the shutter speed for you because the depth of field takes precedent. Using aperture priority mode. Yes, you can always dial in compensation for the exposure after taking a test shot.

Noted. Thanks Kit !

timing of the day is very important...

below are two shots i took yesterday ard 4-5+pm (without any special filters, just a normal UV filter) which i find at this timing the sky is very blue... i am not a PP person so these two are straight from cam. :)

4696322900_5a506072b5.jpg

4696329748_0c1fd1e0bc.jpg

so besides learning the aspects of your camera... u need to know when to shoot in the day too.

timing of the day is very important...

below are two shots i took yesterday ard 4-5+pm (without any special filters, just a normal UV filter) which i find at this timing the sky is very blue... i am not a PP person so these two are straight from cam. :)

4696322900_5a506072b5.jpg

4696329748_0c1fd1e0bc.jpg

so besides learning the aspects of your camera... u need to know when to shoot in the day too.

Yes, actually when its cloudy and sunlight is bright, you should not shoot, because it will over-expose no matter what settings u use.

Yup, u have nice pictures there. I suppose the 1st pic u had the sun behind u, and the 2nd was behind u and to the left, ya?

Yup, got it. No, i dont capture the shot again. The first time just half shutter for it to focus at the frame i want to capture, then adjust the polarizer for the desirable effect, then go back to the same frame and this time capture it ;)

Mount the Circular Polarizer (CPL) to the lens. Look thru the viewfinder and rotate the CPL. Your view should be getting 'darker' as you rotate. Rotate till you are happy with the color then shoot like normal.

I kiasu abit, at different shade of 'darkness', capture a shot. Select the best blue sky you prefer. But remember to stand almost 90 degree to the sunlight for max effect (sunglight behind/ infront of u no use).

Your subject should remain equally bright

Yes, actually when its cloudy and sunlight is bright, you should not shoot, because it will over-expose no matter what settings u use.

Yup, u have nice pictures there. I suppose the 1st pic u had the sun behind u, and the 2nd was behind u and to the left, ya?

yup correct. :D

when the sunlight is too bright, even is the sky is bluish... it will look pale blue or even near white. Thats when u will need a CPL to help u haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.