Newbie - Help on Exposure (Tree VS Sky)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No need to wait. Kit has this tool that can turn the sky brighter and darker as required, but I am waiting for his version 2 which can change the cloud shapes as required. :angel:

Can wad. That's why I always carry a torch around. If I try to focus on, for example, a star and my camera won't focus on it, then it's not bright enough for my camera to focus on but I can then shine my torch at the star to lighten it up... :angel:

It pretty much works on the same concept as using your flash for night landscape photography :angel:

And before I get banned by the mod, pls take my posting with a pinch of salt and lots of water.

A quarry of salt you mean. Haha!

To ts:
I advice you read up on hyperfocal distances and the technique called 'focus and recompose'
You can focus on a point that is on the same plane of focus as your subject(same distance from camera as primary subject, might not have phrased correctly so someone correct me on that f im wrong), and then recompose your scene as you see fit, while taking care in ensuring that your subject remains on the same plane of focus.(again somebody correct me if im wrong);)

Last edited:
A quarry of salt you mean. Haha!

To ts:
I advice you read up on hyperfocal distances and the technique called 'focus and recompose'
You can focus on a point that is on the same plane of focus as your subject(same distance from camera as primary subject, might not have phrased correctly so someone correct me on that f im wrong), and then recompose your scene as you see fit, while taking care in ensuring that your subject remains on the same plane of focus.(again somebody correct me if im wrong);)

Actually for the TS, I think it was too dark to acquire a focus. So focusing and recompose is pretty much out of the question. In conditions that dark, and for the subject matter he was trying to capture, hyperfocal is the way to go.

Actually for the TS, I think it was too dark to acquire a focus. So focusing and recompose is pretty much out of the question. In conditions that dark, and for the subject matter he was trying to capture, hyperfocal is the way to go.

Hi everyone, thanks for all the input..

I've read the hyperfocal thing, and i think maybe i'll use one of the earlier posted suggestion.

To bring a torch and then shine it somewhere within the hyperfocal length so that it can get the focus.

Lock it and then try to compose the shot again... Thats what i think...

Something for you to ponder over. If you need a torch to shine on the spot you wish to focus on, do you think the camera will capture enough light to record the darker areas or even show that focussing does matter at all and not clip the highlights in other parts of the frame?

Something for you to ponder over. If you need a torch to shine on the spot you wish to focus on, do you think the camera will capture enough light to record the darker areas or even show that focussing does matter at all and not clip the highlights in other parts of the frame?

Can handhold for 20secs. I've seen it done before. :angel:
Okay kidding. Don't throw salt at me. *siamz*

Status
Not open for further replies.