Newbie Guide to Filters

for hoya circular polarising filters, there are 2 variations, one with UV coating, the other without. interested to know whats your stand on this.

UV does not affect digital cameras. That is my stand.

thanks.

:thumbsup:
Bumping this thread up. Seems like there is a consistent flow of questions on filters.

this is definitely helpful

Very informative!

Thank you for your invaluable input!

Useful guide. :thumbsup:

How about Nikon filters? :think:

Nikon NC filters are quite good actually.

hey guys, what filters to get to reduce flare from light sources in photographs?

also, for noob question. how do u exactly fix on the filters? the shop will do for u? or theres instruction manual when u buy filter one

hey guys, what filters to get to reduce flare from light sources in photographs?

also, for noob question. how do u exactly fix on the filters? the shop will do for u? or theres instruction manual when u buy filter one

lemonaid said:

To get the least flare, go filterless.

No filter reduces flare. Flares are reflections at the surface of the lens elements (sitting inside the lens). How could another piece of glass screwed onto the front (hint: that's how they are fixed) reduce a reflection effects on another piece of glass centimeters away? Remove all filters, period.
Have a close look at your lens front. You will see a thread. Filters have threads as well, they are screwed in. So if you really need a 'lens condom' (a.k.a. filter) you need to get one in the right size. On the front of the lens you can find the diameter symbol with the figure (in mm). Haven't seen any instruction manual for screw-in filters... but who knows which legal battle will result in printed 'screw guidelines' :bsmilie:

get a lens hood to help in flare management..
filters are mostly just screw on.. it's not that complicated till you need a instruction manual to refer to :)

Actually, all the info on how to use filters and how to fix them on the lens is all covered in post #2 of the thread. Please read more before asking. I think that is the purpose of this thread in the first place. If you have more questions I will try to answer them.

this thread helped when i bought my filters not too long ago.. thanks daredevil..

i think mod should make this thread a sticky..

hello daredevil, wanna ask you something.

during day time when i want to slow down the shutter speed and if i multiply the shutter speed by the attenuation factor wouldn't it increase the shutter speed instead of slowing it down?

during day time when i want to slow down the shutter speed and if i multiply the shutter speed by the attenuation factor wouldn't it increase the shutter speed instead of slowing it down?
Shutter speed without filter at 1/60; 2 stop filter: 2x 1/60 = 1/30. 1/30s is slower (= longer exposure time) than 1/60s.

from your example, when calculating, if its below 1s then will divide and if its above 1s then will multiply?

if im on ND2.. 1/60 / 2 = 1/30 while 1" x 2 = 2" ?