New Zealand or Norway

So have you make up your mind and plan for the trip? Was in NZ in April 2009 and love it to bits. Driving around on my own (yes, so my car rent $$$ was a lot) for 2 weeks. I missed that place!

I'm heading Norway this Oct and will be my 1st visit to that country. Planning now...

For aurora Australis, just remember to look at the horizon when you are at the east coast of the South Island. There has been reports of sightings in outskirts of Chrisrchurch, Dunedin, Omaru, even Queenstown this year. In June it should be better since the visible area would have moved down to deg 55, instead of deg 66. However, cloud will be your 'enemy' as usually it was too cloudy to see anything... There are some fb/twitter sites that do give some alerts. You might want to find them and keep them in your viewing list.

However since it's the 'tricky' lady, you never would know if you can have an encounter, especially on the south side.

Last edited:
Been to NZ twice, the most recent January this year. beautiful country which you will enjoy. Do take note it will be winter and be prepare for the cold and chilling winds. Furthermore it gets dark earlier so less daylight hours to take photo. Just to give you an idea, in January when I was there, summer time the sun set at about 9pm and night temperature varies between 10 to 15deg c so will be much colder in winter.
Cost of accommodation likely cheaper in winter however some roads may be closed during winter time.

I have never been to Norway, but should be a beautiful country too.
Hope you have a great time.

Hi All really appreciate your sharing through your experienced but unfortunately due to work i had to cancel my plans. I will be postponing it to next year instead. Most probably going to New Zealand during their spring season. Really appreciate that the thread is still active. I will be going for a short gateway next month to Krabi hope to catch some beautiful sunrise & sunset there.

been to new zealand in 2012 and it was good. almost 2 weeks in nz, most of the time in the south island. highly recommended selfdrive as u will be amazed by the nature scenic view. went there during the season change period, may2012.

heading down to norway this december to cross 2014 and see the northern light!

try nz first before gg norway. u must be well prepared for norway man... :)

been to new zealand in 2012 and it was good. almost 2 weeks in nz, most of the time in the south island. highly recommended selfdrive as u will be amazed by the nature scenic view. went there during the season change period, may2012. heading down to norway this december to cross 2014 and see the northern light! try nz first before gg norway. u must be well prepared for norway man... :)

Yeap will do so. Thanks and have an enjoyable trip!