New X30 from Fujifilm

Just looked at your photos, XavierLum ... very nice indeed :) (wish I was there)
Did you shoot any videos with the X30 while in Tasmania? If so, what is your take on that?

Anyone has any street price info on the X30 at the usual outlets? :)

Just looked at your photos, XavierLum ... very nice indeed :) (wish I was there)
Did you shoot any videos with the X30 while in Tasmania? If so, what is your take on that?

Hi Robbie J, Hm... i only took some short clips while i was traveling but i yet to review all the video thoroughly. I only previewed one or 2 movies clips while i was in Lightroom. The video quality is good when recorded under high fps.
Video taking wise, the X30 is only good enough for general video taking purposes only. If you wanna to achieve those more semi pro video taking experience, the X30 may be your cup of tea.
Why i say so because:
1) When i tried to zoom into my subject, the image shake when i was turning the lens barrel.
2) While capturing moving object, the AF tends to go out of focus.

Hi Robbie J, Hm... i only took some short clips while i was traveling but i yet to review all the video thoroughly. I only previewed one or 2 movies clips while i was in Lightroom. The video quality is good when recorded under high fps.
Video taking wise, the X30 is only good enough for general video taking purposes only. If you wanna to achieve those more semi pro video taking experience, the X30 may be your cup of tea.
Why i say so because:
1) When i tried to zoom into my subject, the image shake when i was turning the lens barrel.
2) While capturing moving object, the AF tends to go out of focus.

I took the Fuji X30 and my Pentax K7(DSLR) with a Sigma 10-20mm and Pentax 70-300mm lenses to Turkey for 10 days. I use the X30 mainly for street photography and the Pentax for scenery and zoom of 300 for architecture. I am impressed by the X30 in its ability to manage lighting situation. The photos are sharp and vibrant, aided partly by the sunshine too. Even in night situations, it held well. I did all hand held. Under daylight situation, it seems to over-expose, and I do lower the EV to negative 2 to balance it. At times, the AF isn't able to get it, and I have to release and re-focus for the green box. Playing with the Adv and Filter provided some differences from just a normal picture.

I am very happy with the X30 for the price I pay, and its ability to act as a camera rather than a small boxy toy.

The video are also ok, as long as you pan slowly, as in any video-cam; though the voice recording isn't as loud as I would like it to be. So need to understand how best to record voice when video-taping.

I shoot mainly using the Basic when the situation is a bit chaotic, with people moving all over the place (touristic places) as well as quick shots. They all coming out very nicely.

The battery life isn't great, and the spare is definitely a MUST, due to extensive shooting. To conserve, I would off it, if I was quite sure I don't need to shoot immediately. My Pentax K7 battery life is incredible, perhaps I didn't use it as extensive as the X30. It lasted me 3-4 days per battery! Certainly it is a huge battery versus the X30.

The control ring now is less tight, compared to when it was new, and easier to manipulate. Definitely a great tool to play with the menu via the electronic view finder.

Great camera for its price. No regret having it. I still do have my Panasonic LX5, which I find it really too cumbersome to manipulate fast for taking photo. The X30 gives me this possibility.

Thank you for your comments, VanGogh53. I agree... that most compacts (I've used) tend to overexpose a bit, so I usually shoot in either manual or aperture-priority with some negative compensation thrown in. Ive been a SLR/DSLR shooter for years, and most times I find using compacts a bit of a bother, since they simply aren't as 'slick' or intuitive in use. The X30 certainly seems to fit the bill, when it comes to actually using it. Cheers :)

Was looking for a screen protector for the x30. Bought from eBay once but it did not fit well. Has anyone bought one that fitted well? Kindly share where you bought it from. No hurry to get it thus on - line sources also welcome. Thanks for any recommendation.