New X30 from Fujifilm

[video=youtube;vxy0A5AOqvY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxy0A5AOqvY[/video]

[26.Aug] Fujifilm launched their new Fujifilm X30 premium compact digital camera. Now in its third generation, the X30 replaces the X20, about 2 1/2 years after the introduction of the X10. The X30 fashions a F/2.0-2.8 28mm-112mm (35mm equivalent) 4x manual barrel zoom lens. It is made up of 11 glass elements in nine groups, including three aspherical lens elements and two ED lens elements. Further, HT-EBC is applied to the elements to effectively control flare and ghosting. The X30’s image stabilization mechanism compensate for camera shake by up to 3.0 stops.

The X30 includes some innovations and improvements over its predecessor,

New Sensor and Processor - The X30 features a 2/3-inch X-Trans CMOS II sensor (12 megapixel with no optical low pass filter) together with the EXR Processor II. Since the low-pass filter - which would cause a drop in image quality - is not required, light from the lens goes straight to the sensor to deliver excellent resolution and low noise.

EVF - The X30 has introduces a 100% 2.36M-dot organic EL electronic viewfinder, with a magnification of 0.65x, moving away from the 85% optical viewfinder on the X20.

Larger LCD - The X30's tilting 3.0inch 920k dots LCD is an improvement over the 2.8inch 460k dot display on the X20.

Increased range in the Exposure Compensation (+/-3 stops), Available WiFi connectivity, Longer Battery Life (thanks to NP-95, same battery as the X100 and X-S1)

The X30 does up the bar on this premium compact range. But by far, the most exciting innovation to me, was the introduction of a new film simulation, "Classic Chrome"!! For those who have know of the wonderful colours made by positive film - velvia, astia, provia, and now, classic chrome. I hope that the introduce this in the next firmware updates to the X-series cameras!!

"Classic Chrome is the eleventh simulation mode and is added to the line-up, which includes Velvia for capturing landscape images with vividly saturated colors, and the softer Astia for delivering natural graduation of skin tones on portraits. Classic Chrome has been developed to deliver the tonal depth required in documentary and street photography." - http://www.fujifilm.com/news/n140826_02.html

Some sample shots from a pre-production model of the X30 (larger images and exif into available)...

Last edited:
The Fujifilm X10, X20, and now X30 are a very nice and capable compact camera for travel and street photography. If you're considering the X30, let this pre-order offer tease you a little more...

RRP $899
Available in mid-Sept

Just take my $$$ ... LOL

On a serious note, is it the size of a XE series ?

Just take my $$$ ... LOL

On a serious note, is it the size of a XE series ?
the X30 is just a little smaller... here are the official specs, but note that the depth also includes the lens for the X30, whereas the X-E2 is for body only.

X-E2 - 129mm (W) x 74.9mm (H) x 37.2mm (D)
X30 - 118.7mm (W) x 71.6mm (H) x 60.3mm (D)

here are a couple of sample images from Fujifilm Singapore showing off the X30 in "Classic Chrome" mode...

Fujifilm X30 ƒ/8.0 7.1mm 1/1400sec ISO200

Fujifilm X30 ƒ/7.1 14.8mm 1/90sec ISO200

larger images and exif info available

Classic Chrome mode looks awesome!

Tried it out at the Fujifilm booth at COMEX yesterday. Quite impressive. It is a little larger than X10/X20 which I feel is a good size if you really want to shoot with the EVF. The EVF is quite amazing and honestly, I soon forgot that it is an electronic one. Other interesting features for me are the tiltable LCD and WiFi (remote shooting and wireless transfer), coming from my existing X10 and X100s.

No longer "Made in Japan".

Question: Can we get better price than $899 if we pre-order from the authorized dealers before 7 Sept? :)

Tried it out at the Fujifilm booth at COMEX yesterday. Quite impressive. It is a little larger than X10/X20 which I feel is a good size if you really want to shoot with the EVF. The EVF is quite amazing and honestly, I soon forgot that it is an electronic one. Other interesting features for me are the tiltable LCD and WiFi (remote shooting and wireless transfer), coming from my existing X10 and X100s. No longer "Made in Japan". Question: Can we get better price than $899 if we pre-order from the authorized dealers before 7 Sept? :)

To my knowledge , nope :)
But u can wait until pre order is over , stocks in for street price but then u will skip the freebies for pre order.

here are a couple of sample images from Fujifilm Singapore showing off the X30 in "Classic Chrome" mode...

Fujifilm X30 ƒ/8.0 7.1mm 1/1400sec ISO200

Fujifilm X30 ƒ/7.1 14.8mm 1/90sec ISO200

larger images and exif info available

I wonder why they took that landscape shot with an aperture setting that will have reduced detail because of diffraction, and at higher-than-necessary ISO, and hence some ugly-looking noise in the sky? I often find sample shots from manufacturers and distributors rather baffling.

But more positively, I am very interested to see how good the EVF is. And how easy it is to use for people with glasses. In bright sunlight.
All the hoo-hah on DPR about the sensor size is overblown, in my opinion.

I wonder is it possible to have this classic chrome mode on x10 & x20 with a firmware upgrade? Will Fuji introduce that? Probably not I guess…

I wonder is it possible to have this classic chrome mode on x10 & x20 with a firmware upgrade? Will Fuji introduce that? Probably not I guess…

I don't see why they should. Nobody can claim that the lack of it is a fault, or a deficiency, on those earlier models.

On X100 right now. Considering adding on this X30 to be my secondary cam and walk around cam. The pre order bundle doesn't really make sense to me (i have already 4 pcs of battery from X100 which I can use on X30 too)

The price also quite steep compared to overseas. May want to wait until it drops in the next few months before buying. :)

On X100 right now. Considering adding on this X30 to be my secondary cam and walk around cam. The pre order bundle doesn't really make sense to me (i have already 4 pcs of battery from X100 which I can use on X30 too)

The price also quite steep compared to overseas. May want to wait until it drops in the next few months before buying. :)

I fully agree. Price is rather steep. I will wait (as usual )till the price drops. I have other cams that I can use in the meantime. Also, I would like to see dpreview's full review of this cam first :)

Went to fuji store to try. I thought the x20 design is nicer but thats just exterior. Tested iso1600 i think its better than x20 but still some detail loss and noise.

I was curious about the X30 after reading this thread. Went to Fujifilm Studio in Funan this morning just to try out the X30 and X-T1. I like the X30's EVF, fast focusing speed, form factor and retro look. The inner ring is useful for quick selection of film type simulation. I find the X30 an attractive camera; the size is just right for street and travel photography. There are 2 sets of free gifts for those who pre-order. I walked over to SLRR to ask and was quoted $859 (SRP $899).