New to Pentax

Nice macros...... i had a macro lens for my old prosumer, a Panasonic FZ50..think the diameter is 49mm.. a Raynox. wanted to experiment but end up a white elephant in the dry cabinet. :(

Hi killjoysg2k, yr Raynox need not remain a white jumbo; yank it out of the dry cab & join bro Detritus' macro outing tomorrow;)

Welcome to the Pentax family..as others say Kit lens are both great built and optically.
I had been using my 18-55 kit lens since i bought my k20 till today. so buy bundle with kit lens
it a good package price. good luck and happy shoooooooot...

Hi, i had recently sold a prosumer camera and was thinking of getting a DSLR. I came across the Pentax K-r and it seems that it is a mid range model that is quite affordable..more so than competing brands. As i am quite new to DSLR, my question is whether the kit lens DAL 18mm-55mm and 50mm-200mm good? am i better off getting the body only and get my lens elsewhere?

Although it's my first foray into the DSLR realm, i decided not to go with the more popular brands as i am quite confused with all the model number these brands churned out. When i chance upon the Pentax K-r's review, i was rather impressed by the capabilities of this DSLR and the price tag. Has anyone here been using the K-r? Able to share your opinion on you experience?

My other concern is the availability of lens since some of my friends mentioned that the variety of lens for Pentax is rather limited as compared to the major 2 brands. May i know how true is that? Sorry for the barrage of questions.

BTW, this forum is really a great place to source for information. Cheers. :)

Hi there, im also a newbie here, just got my kr 12days ago.. haa... i would say the kit lens is gd enuff for a start, but also depends what you wanna shot. initially i wanted to get the 50-300 as well but thinking that i wont travel for the next year or so, den i decide to get the kit lens + 35mm! you wont regret with the 35mm lens, as its on my kr most of the time. partly is due to i've some issue with the body AF therefore seldom use the 18-55.

SLR have one of the best pricing out there, i've called and check with others store, but decide to go with SLR as they're nice to talk with.

don bother what majority ppl get, go with your feel and most impt ur budget. you wont look back after getting the kr. not to forget, ppl here are veri friendly and helpful... :thumbsup:

[/SIZE]

Hi killjoysg2k, yr Raynox need not remain a white jumbo; yank it out of the dry cab & join bro Detritus' macro outing tomorrow;)

Too bad the Raynox 250 cant attach to my camera phone, if not i will joiin you guys. ;p

Need to get the K-r 1st lor.

Hi there, im also a newbie here, just got my kr 12days ago.. haa... i would say the kit lens is gd enuff for a start, but also depends what you wanna shot. initially i wanted to get the 50-300 as well but thinking that i wont travel for the next year or so, den i decide to get the kit lens + 35mm! you wont regret with the 35mm lens, as its on my kr most of the time. partly is due to i've some issue with the body AF therefore seldom use the 18-55.

SLR have one of the best pricing out there, i've called and check with others store, but decide to go with SLR as they're nice to talk with.

don bother what majority ppl get, go with your feel and most impt ur budget. you wont look back after getting the kr. not to forget, ppl here are veri friendly and helpful... :thumbsup:

Yr auto focus issue ok liao ma ?

Too bad the Raynox 250 cant attach to my camera phone, if not i will joiin you guys. ;p

Need to get the K-r 1st lor.

You can always get it tonight . I going to SLRR tonight to accompany my friend getting his cam . U can meet me there if you wish :p

You can always get it tonight . I going to SLRR tonight to accompany my friend getting his cam . U can meet me there if you wish :p

Not today la, rather busy, need to run errands. Thanx for the offer though. :D

It is true.... :embrass:

FA 31mm F1.8 Limited
FA 43mm F1.9 Limited
FA 77mm F1.8 Limited

Some of the best and most desired lenses ever made.... ;p

yes yes, FA 31mm F1.8 Limited im drooling~~~ :heart:

Yr auto focus issue ok liao ma ?

not yet settle.. wanted to bring down to emjay service centre on monday, but how unlucky, their technician was on MC... guess im pretty suay... haa... will try to bring it down again today... well no AF but still can take with MF... LOL... learning the hard way... thanks for concern..:)

TS, rem to check the basic function when u purchase...

[/SIZE]

Good Suggestion. These guys will love to spread the poison ,,,erm, I mean, the pentax knowledge around. :)

Good Suggestion. These guys will love to spread the poison ,,,erm, I mean, the pentax knowledge around. :)

the knowledge is not pentax-specific :) if u look at how canon, nikon, sony, olympus or even PNS users shoot macro, the fundamentals and some of the gear used are the same ;)

don't just psycho other pple to join. you should come too! :)

Sure Donald, was mulling on slotting this macro shoot in my schedule after my pre-dawn religious activity but had to forgo it as I am leaving to Kong Kong fishing village at 9am. The sea-food lunch there is too delicious a temptation to fight! :bsmilie:

Went to Orient @ Sim Lim during lunch...they selling the K-r at the same price as SLRR...but the one with 2 kit lens, 18-55 & 50-200 no stock... :eek:

Getting it today =)

Last edited:
Hello. Im new to pentax too, got a k-x a few weeks ago. new to photography in general too, so I hope you guys dont mind if I ask questions here :)