New owner of a new E-500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Care to explain?? Blu is having a FL50 and a E-330.

lets say u r indoors and shooting portraits. u can raise the onboard flash of ur E330 and aim ur Fl36 up at lets say 45 degree to bounce the light using ceiling. The onboard flash in this case can be used as a catch light or fill light to create the sparkle in the subjects eyes and the bounce light to make the picture more natural.

Fl50 does not support this. only Fl36 does now.

Think it does. Let blu try it out tonight and tell you.

Think it does. Let blu try it out tonight and tell you.

dont think so, unless the brochure is wrong! haha..

but its good to have a small test! :bsmilie:

Wow... Thanks!

SO... since i am using an E-500... which should i be getting? The FL36 or FL50?

:think:

Wow... Thanks!

get the FL-50 if you can afford it... it is really much much better than the FL-36.

recharge times is negligible and the flash coverage is noticeably more even and somehow more natural on the subjects, as I found out after upgrading from FL-36.

by the way, I am using it with an E-500.

Wow... Thanks!

dont rush into getting the flash yet. think about ur shooting needs first! :bsmilie:

some points to think..
do u like to use flash, do you use it often and for what occasions, do u need that extra power, do u mind the extra weight, do you travel often etc... of course money also plays a part.

Wow... Thanks!

Either one also can... but it don't make any difference for you or anyone using E-500 if you want to use both the built-in flash and external flash at the same time.... because it is not possible with the E-500.

This is because the built-in flash of the E-500 is centrally located and cannot open properly if you mount an external flash on the hot-shoe. So you are not suppose to use the external and built-in flash in this way.

As for the E-330 (and E-300), the built-in flash is located one side of the camera and can open fully when a FL-36 is mounted on the hotshoe. Therefore both the built-in flash and FL-36 could be used at the same time to provide fill and bounced lighting respectively. The FL-50 however could not be used in this way because it is too big and would block the built-in flash from opening fully. That's one unspoken advantage of the FL-36 over the FL-50 for owners of E-330 and E-300. ;)

..... The FL-50 however could not be used in this way because it is too big and would block the built-in flash from opening fully. ....
Not really. If the builtin flash is opened before the FL-50 is installed, there is no problem in getting both of them together. Tried the but blu was behind the camera thus did not notice if both the flash fired. :what:

Not really. If the builtin flash is opened before the FL-50 is installed, there is no problem in getting both of them together. Tried the but blu was behind the camera thus did not notice if both the flash fired. :what:
Stand in front the next time and see if both or only one flash fires then.

Stand in front the next time and see if both or only flash fires then.

very interesting... dont forget to try it with different modes!

anyway, was thinking that the FL50 is released way before the fl36. so wondering if there are some electrical circuits that are not build inside to support this function?
:bsmilie:

very interesting... dont forget to try it with different modes!

anyway, was thinking that the FL50 is released way before the fl36. so wondering if there are some electrical circuits that are not build inside to support this function?
:bsmilie:

Don't think so, I have the old FL-40 with E-20 back then and both sets of flash can fire together. This has been an Olympus feature since the E-100RS 15fps prosumer.

Either one also can... but it don't make any difference for you or anyone using E-500 if you want to use both the built-in flash and external flash at the same time.... because it is not possible with the E-500.

The FL-50 however could not be used in this way because it is too big and would block the built-in flash from opening fully. That's one unspoken advantage of the FL-36 over the FL-50 for owners of E-330 and E-300. ;)

If you get the FL-CB05 and a bracket you'll have no issue using any size flash on any of these cameras (although personally I haven't tried popping up the E-500 flash with the cable installed).

Stand in front the next time and see if both or only one flash fires then.

I think one can just see the reflections in the picture taken to determine whether or not the in-built flash has fired along with the hotshoe-mounted flash.

I use a non-TTL 'auto' flash. The venerable Sunpak 383. I can't just use my in-built flash at Auto mode as the non-TTL external flash's output will fool the camera and cut off the in-built flash way too early which results in it as good as not being able to fire. I just switch over to manual mode, or if the lighting angle permits, use a bounce card on my Sunpak to divert some light forward.

Eric,

Sorry, but I had no time to gratulate. I guess better late than never, so CONGRATULATIONS!

I am sure you will be happy with your camera. Now it is time to learn it and forget about the 350D. As for the flash, the E-500 has one of the best built-in flashes. I have so far not used red-eye reduction because it is not needed. It has GN13 which is good for a built-in flash. The new E-400 has only GN10. However, it has it's limits but very good to have if you want to travel light or can not afford anything else. If you can afford and you feel you need one external flash, I would say go for FL-50. You'll never regret the extra power it has.

Blu, how can you install any flash on the E-500 when the built in one is popped up? There is just about 15mm between the popped up flash and the hot shoe. How can you fit any flash into that space?

The only way I can think of is via a sync cable.

Don't think so, I have the old FL-40 with E-20 back then and both sets of flash can fire together. This has been an Olympus feature since the E-100RS 15fps prosumer.
Yes, both can be fired at the same time, but the question I have is, if you have the FL-36/50 could you use TTL with simultaneous flash? Could the camera control both? I think not. As far as I know that needs what no DSLR has today, that is the good old TTL OTF (or rather OTS as in Off The Sensor and not Off The Film). Multiple flash was supported by the old OM2n but as far as I know no E-system supports that function in TTL mode. I don't think it can be done with the present pre-flash type of technology. :dunno:

On page 46 of the simple manual for the FL-36, under the Section '4. Combination with camera's built-in flash', it is stated that:

When the camera in use has a built-in flash, it can be used simultaneously with the electronic flash.

. Advanced shooting techniques are possible. For example, you can bounced the light from the electronic flash off the wall or ceiling while using the camera's built-in flash for a catch-light effect.

. With certain camera models, the built-in flash may be disabled when the electronic flash is mounted on the camera's hot shoe.

Note: The electronic flash control mode should be set to TTL AUTO or FP TTL AUTO.

I know that both the FL-36 and built-in flash could definitely be used with the E-300 and E-330 in the way described in the manual. Owners of the E-500 who have the FL-36 might want to put the manual to the test for themselves.

OlyFlyer, Blu is using the E-330...not the E-500. The FL50 can be installed with the built in flash opened.

Yesterday blu was busy, so did not test the flash.

.....Multiple flash .... as far as I know no E-system supports that function in TTL mode......

Question.. If this is the case, then how does studios do their shooting when multiple strobe lights are used?

as far as I know no E-system supports that function in TTL mode.

Question.. If this is the case, then how does studios do their shooting when multiple strobe lights are used?

They don't use TTL strobes. Personally I have one monolight connected to the E-300 via a hotshoe to PC connector, and the other two are fired off with the slaves built-in to the other monolights.

Anyway, a decent studio would never use TTL or the camera's built-in meter...they would adjust the intensity of the lights or strobes for the mood they want to set, and then measure the light output with a light meter and adjust the camera accordingly!

Thanks. Blu have never done any studio shooting thus is not firmilar with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.