New owner of a new E-500

Status
Not open for further replies.

cire07

Aug 28, 2006
Jurong West
Morning pple!

Just wanna say that I'm now officially back in the Olympus fray with a new E-500...

Thanks to all the fellow Olympians for their advise and patience in answering my barrage of questions over the past week(s)...

Lynxiger : it really doesn't matter if u pick the 350D or the E-500... cos the moment u hold the viewfinder to ur eyes... the fun begins... We had the same dilemma, but i decided to make a choice... what abt u? ;)

Good luck... :)

Thanks all!
Eric

Nice,
Where and how much did you get it for?

Congrats, my only advice is, watch the WB settings... or rather use as much pre-set WB as you can and the E-500 will reward you with excellent results. Certainly, if you are shooting RAW only, that is not really needed.

Nice,
Where and how much did you get it for?

It was the package from Funan's Harvey Norman's...

S$1399 nett for the dual lens kit...
1 x 1GB CF (Sandisk: normal card i think...)
1 x 1GB CF (Sandisk Ultra II)
The dry box, SteinZeiser bag and tripod... (bag so-so... but tripod quite alright by me...)
AND... 2 yrs extended warranty by HN... (worth S$120 apparently...)

As of the weekend just passed.

Regards,
Eric

Congrats, my only advice is, watch the WB settings... or rather use as much pre-set WB as you can and the E-500 will reward you with excellent results. Certainly, if you are shooting RAW only, that is not really needed.

Hi,

I did notice that the WB or the "colours" the E-500 gave me vs the 350D is slightly different...

I dunno how to explain it specifically though... but 350D more "bright" & "white"? while the Oly was more "yellowish"... Oly gave a more realistic and "warm" skin tone...

Not sure if i am using the right descriptive terms though. :dunno:

What do u mean "use as much pre-set WB as i can"?
I hope to try RAW, once i've familiarised myself... this is my first DSLR in any case. Heh.

Cheers,
Eric

hehehehe...welcome to the RAW headache. Blu until today can't seem to get the RAW to come out right. So now Blu stay with JPEG and only shoot Raw if details are required. ;)

Oh yes, Blu is using the RAWshooter.

Colours produced by RawShooter is always slightly different from the jpeg direct from the camera. To get the same colours from an Olympus RAW file as that produced by the jpeg engine in the camera, you would need to stick to using either Olympus Master or Olympus Studio for RAW conversion. The next best software to get Olympus colours is SilkyPix.

Colours produced by RawShooter is always slightly different from the jpeg direct from the camera. To get the same colours from an Olympus RAW file as that produced by the jpeg engine in the camera, you would need to stick to using either Olympus Master or Olympus Studio for RAW conversion. The next best software to get Olympus colours is SilkyPix.

what about capture one? anyone tried that before?

on the topic of shooting RAW. anyone here convert the ORF files to DNG to save space? What exactly is lost in the conversion? the adobe DNG readme claims that some info will be lost but didnt mention the details. anyone can shed a light here?

It was the package from Funan's Harvey Norman's...

S$1399 nett for the dual lens kit...
1 x 1GB CF (Sandisk: normal card i think...)
1 x 1GB CF (Sandisk Ultra II)
The dry box, SteinZeiser bag and tripod... (bag so-so... but tripod quite alright by me...)
AND... 2 yrs extended warranty by HN... (worth S$120 apparently...)

As of the weekend just passed.

Regards,
Eric

congrats on ur purchase! you will find that you need a flash soon as you explore the E500 :bsmilie:

any idea on what a good flash for e500 and normally how much? thanks

congrats on your new camera cire07..

congrats on ur purchase! you will find that you need a flash soon as you explore the E500 :bsmilie:

what about capture one? anyone tried that before?

on the topic of shooting RAW. anyone here convert the ORF files to DNG to save space? What exactly is lost in the conversion? the adobe DNG readme claims that some info will be lost but didnt mention the details. anyone can shed a light here?
Capture One is my favorite RAW converter because of its workflow, functions and speed. The colours it produce with ORF files are quite natural looking though not as vivid as from Studio or SilkyPix. Unfortunately, I seem to have some problem getting it to work on ORF files. It has a tendency to result in maize-like artifacts is some images unless noise suppression is kept to a minimum for some reasons. I normally would use it for quick conversions but if I see any artifact problem, then I would switch to another software like Olympus Studio or SilkyPix.

Thanks!

Need a flash? Is the built-in flash not sufficient? Any problems/experience(s) care to share?

I was thinking abt the need for a mounted flash, what are the actual/exact benefits?

Better to get Oly's flash? the Fl20/36/50?

:dunno:

Blu's 2 cents, Forget the FL20. Not worth the trouble and $$$. better save for the FL36 or FL50.

Is there any thread on the discussion of Raw convertors for newbies like old blu here?

Blu's 2 cents, Forget the FL20. Not worth the trouble and $$$. better save for the FL36 or FL50.

Is there any thread on the discussion of Raw convertors for newbies like old blu here?

Thanks Blu... point noted. No to FL20, save for 36/50... ;)

BUT... what added advantage(s) does the mounted flash give?

Thanks!

Need a flash? Is the built-in flash not sufficient? Any problems/experience(s) care to share?

I was thinking abt the need for a mounted flash, what are the actual/exact benefits?

Better to get Oly's flash? the Fl20/36/50?

The build in flash is not flexible and powerful as a mounted flash. using a mounted flash, you can produce more natural lights by bouncing off ceilings and walls.

Thanks Blu... point noted. No to FL20, save for 36/50... ;)

BUT... what added advantage(s) does the mounted flash give?

with the FL36, the onboard flash can be used with the mounted one with bodies like E330 and E300. the onboard one for front fill and the fl36 for bounce. Fl50 does not support this though.

FL50 provides more power and is also more expensive compard to fl36 and fl20.

I myself is looking at the fl50, thinking of an upgrade from fl36.

Capture One is my favorite RAW converter because of its workflow, functions and speed. The colours it produce with ORF files are quite natural looking though not as vivid as from Studio or SilkyPix. Unfortunately, I seem to have some problem getting it to work on ORF files. It has a tendency to result in maize-like artifacts is some images unless noise suppression is kept to a minimum for some reasons. I normally would use it for quick conversions but if I see any artifact problem, then I would switch to another software like Olympus Studio or SilkyPix.

thanks for the info tomcat.

guess i will have to try out silkypix or studio. maybe will grab a copy of studio when the next pc show is here.

back to the DNG question.. anyone can share their experinece on this? :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.