New owner of a new E-500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. Blu have never done any studio shooting thus is not firmilar with it.

Check out Olympus' Digital School for FREE lessons including studio shooting:
http://olympusdigitalschool.com/photo_lessons/index.html

Although you may not do it, it teaches you about light. It doesn't cover using an external light meter, but there's lots of info on the web about that.

On page 46 of the simple manual for the FL-36, under the Section '4. Combination with camera's built-in flash', it is stated that:

When the camera in use has a built-in flash, it can be used simultaneously with the electronic flash.

. Advanced shooting techniques are possible. For example, you can bounced the light from the electronic flash off the wall or ceiling while using the camera's built-in flash for a catch-light effect.

. With certain camera models, the built-in flash may be disabled when the electronic flash is mounted on the camera's hot shoe.

Note: The electronic flash control mode should be set to TTL AUTO or FP TTL AUTO.

I know that both the FL-36 and built-in flash could definitely be used with the E-300 and E-330 in the way described in the manual. Owners of the E-500 who have the FL-36 might want to put the manual to the test for themselves.
Thank you Tomcat. This is very important information. I have no FL36 so I can not test that with my E-500 and as far as I know it is not stated in the cameras basic or advanced manual. I hope somebody else can do that test. Anyway, the flash must be connected via sync cable on the E-500.

Question.. If this is the case, then how does studios do their shooting when multiple strobe lights are used?
Sorry Blu, I thought you had E-500. Anyway, in studio photogs has always (at least for a very long time) used multiple flashes. They normally use flash meter and take test shots. Each flash is set manually. I also do shoot with multiple flashes (I am not a pro) and use my old T32 and an old Metz, some times even the build in flash. All must be set manually, even the camera.

The TTL flash the OM2n had was indeed used for pro studio work with multiple falshes with great success by photographers who had used OM2n a long time ago. The drawback was the need for cables and the not very cheap Olympus original flashes. The results were however amazing. Today's TTL technology is different, it is built on the flash first emitting a weak pre-flash which the camera bases it's measurements on, sets the flash and fires the shutter and triggers the main flash. That technolgy is not good for studio work or at least I believe it is not reliable.

Check out Olympus' Digital School for FREE lessons including studio shooting:
http://olympusdigitalschool.com/photo_lessons/index.html

Although you may not do it, it teaches you about light. It doesn't cover using an external light meter, but there's lots of info on the web about that.

Good stuff for beginners :thumbsup:

That is why blu said to test the E-330 with the built in flash enables and the FL-50 set as manual...then see the flash if the TTL will work when both fires at the same time.

Blu test this evening. Post results tomorrow morning. BTW, how does one post the EXIF details as a text file?

That is why blu said to test the E-330 with the built in flash enables and the FL-50 set as manual...then see the flash if the TTL will work when both fires at the same time.

Blu test this evening. Post results tomorrow morning. BTW, how does one post the EXIF details as a text file?
I think both should be in TTL auto mode. If not than the test is not really fair since only one flash is controlled by the camera, and that one may be fooled by the manual flash. Also by setting the FL50 to manual it is becoming just another flash, similar to my T32 or Metz.

I think both should be in TTL auto mode. If not than the test is not really fair since only one flash is controlled by the camera, and that one may be fooled by the manual flash. Also by setting the FL50 to manual it is becoming just another flash, similar to my T32 or Metz.

Well, I've tested my internal set to AUTO with a Metz non-TTL set to full power, and both flashes did fire.

Well, I've tested my internal set to AUTO with a Metz non-TTL set to full power, and both flashes did fire.
I know that, I also use all three of my flashes, my question was: Could it handle FL-50 or FL-36 set to TTL and the internal and actually control both flashes in TTL mode when both the internal and at least one external are connected to the camera? I know that the external flash always will be triggered but I am not shure it is actually TTL controlled. To do that both flashes must send pre-flash also otherwise the camera can not measure the light.

hey Blu,

so how is the test result? :D

oops soli..4got.:eek: a thousand apologies...promise post result tomorrow.

Tested both flash works together.

thanks for the test blu,

can you more details which mode u tried in on? FPTTL or TTL? :bsmilie:

The FL-50 is set to TTL auto. The picture was not overexpose in any way. Shot with both flash front facing and another with the FL-50 ceiling bounced. Both times, both the flashes fired. Oh yes noticed another thing, the builtin flash did not flash for the AF. Wonder why :dunno:

Tonight will test again with the 35mm macro lens...collected it late yesterday evening. :D

Oh yes noticed another thing, the builtin flash did not flash for the AF. Wonder why :dunno:

Both the FL-36 and FL-50 have inbuilt IR focus beams if you realised, they are emitted in a form of a red pattern grid that helps focusing a lot more. That is much better than the focus preflash in the sense that you don't blind your subjects needlessly. Thus, the focus preflash is disabled and your camera uses the flash's IR focus beams after you mounted and switch on the flash. Another great advantage of using the FL flashes. :thumbsup:

strangly blu did not notice that red grid.. :embrass: ..

:) blu,

try entering a dark room and with ur e330 and fl50. try to focus in the darkness using auto mode. you will see it!

ok. But the focusing flash works even when it's not so dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.