Need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi,
may i suggest that you join a basic photography course or learn from some friends or read some basic photography books before spending more money and buying a DSLR. there are many things in common between in your slr and a dslr. i am sure you can click really nice pictures with your current set-up as well :)

btw, i am basing my assumptions on just these few images, so i could be completely mistaken.

kashi

happychai said:
beside those fact cos the photo like this, will the hardware problem?

If all the pictures on the film look like this, it could be that the film sensitivity wasn't set correctly. This could be both a hardware problem (e.g. dirty contacts prevent DX information to be read correctly), or a user error (if your camera requires to set the sensitivity manually).

Another possibility is that exposure compensation was accidentally activated.

It could also be the camera tried to fire a flash, but there was a problem with the flash unit.

It looks like a film staying too long in the camera, or expired film..I do have the similar experience, the film is like these.. i think i left the film in camera for quite some time.

ok...
well the flim is not expired 1

my system is F80D + SB28

well i do use P mode and the flash i just set the TTL mode...
i notice that the flash is state with ISO100 is it the problem cos the photo like this?
thanks all sifu here !

happychai said:
ok...
well the flim is not expired 1

my system is F80D + SB28

well i do use P mode and the flash i just set the TTL mode...
i notice that the flash is state with ISO100 is it the problem cos the photo like this?
thanks all sifu here !
Than I believe the flash did not fire during these shots, no sign of flash light recorded, that explains why these pictures can be underexposed in P mode. Something is faulty, most likely is the hotshoe contacts.

em...
but the flash is working ! :think:

Are these only two or just a few bad shots out from the whole roll?
You didn’t provide all the necessary info for people diagnose the problem and only feeding information bit by bit.

How do you know the flash is working? What ISO film you used? If you are not using ISO 100 film, and the flash shows ISO 100 means the camera and the flash is not communicating, if you flash did fired, why I don’t see any sign of flash, even if is the flash light underexposed.

well
i think u get the right point....
anyway the flim i use is ISO400 which i do mention it
i think the setting on flash is wrong....
anyway i still very green with it !
:sweat:

happychai said:
well
i think u get the right point....
anyway the flim i use is ISO400 which i do mention it
i think the setting on flash is wrong....
anyway i still very green with it !
:sweat:
Sorry about the didn't notice the you have mention about the ISO of the film you used, seldom shoot with Kodak nagative and didn't shoot film for years.

Anyway, is whole roll turn out like these or just a few shots only?
and is this happen only after 2 or 3 continuer shots, eg 1st shot Ok, 2nd shot still Ok, but 3 rd shots black out?

is ok..
well... is whole flim like that....
thats y need to find the problem out since i use P mode...
hehe
haerd alot of advice from all sifu here !
hehe

Hi happychai,

I presume that the flash had fired when you took those shots. There are a few things that you might like to check:

1. Hardware issue as mentioned by other members - the contacts between the camera's hot shoe and the flash might be oxidized causing communication problems. Some ways to test: attach the flash & a zoom lens to your camera. Check the ISO setting on your camera and on the flash - they should be the same. Changing the ISO setting on your camera and the flash should follow. If this is ok, set the camera to "A" mode and try changing the aperture. On the flash the aperture displayed should be varying according to the aperture value on the camera. If this is ok, try zooming your lens - you should see and hear the flash is also zooming. If any of these are not working you'll need to clean the contacts.

2. Camera/flash settings - you could have unknowingly overridden some of the settings. Please check that: (a) the flash is in TTL or 3D matrix TTL mode. (b) you have not dialed in any exposure/flash compensation on both the camera and flash. (c) you have not accidentally overridden the auto zoom.

Hope this helps. :)

happychai said:
em...
but the flash is working ! :think:

Are you definitely sure on this? The pictures don't look like it did.

Some (many?) flashes may fire several times for a single exposure: first to assist in focusing and measuring exposure, and then for exposing the film itself. It is not unconceivable that the pre-flashes may work, but the main flash does not.

I don't know if this applies to your flash unit, but just in case...

Lets do a little analysis here,

From the info gathered:
Camera: Nikon F80
Lens: Unknow
Flash:SB 28
Film: Kodak Max (ISO400), not expired film
Shoot mode: P mode on camera, TTL on flash (TTL only or TTL fill flash?)
Problems occur to entire roll.

Result: underexposed more then 3 stops, motion blur, out of focus.
Remarks: notice the ISO reading shows ISO100 on SB 28

Possible problems:

Status
Not open for further replies.