Need help/suggestions in getting a new camera/DSLR..

Daevo

Jul 30, 2013
Singapore
Hi all!

Im a newbie into cameras and photography and i feel that this place could be a good starting ground for more exploration and knowledge building.

This is my first post and i hope pple would be kind enough to advice me.. try not flame me oso cos i really know little about photography haha..

Anw, thinking of getting a new camera (I've nvr own any before other den phone or ipad cameras), but i know nuts about those camera function or capabilities.. thus would need some suggestions from fellow snappers here.. haha..

I'll list down a few criteria and what i want hopefully it will narrow down the suggestions:
- Budget : 300-700
- Digital Cam or DSLR
- Love to travel.. so would love to take something that is quite portable and also able to take nice scenery photos..
- Prefered Brand: Canon or Nikon

Hope some kind souls out there could help me out by giving me some suggestions!

Thanks very much in advance.. will gladly provide more details of what i want if needed..

Hi all!

Im a newbie into cameras and photography and i feel that this place could be a good starting ground for more exploration and knowledge building.

This is my first post and i hope pple would be kind enough to advice me.. try not flame me oso cos i really know little about photography haha..

Anw, thinking of getting a new camera (I've nvr own any before other den phone or ipad cameras), but i know nuts about those camera function or capabilities.. thus would need some suggestions from fellow snappers here.. haha..

I'll list down a few criteria and what i want hopefully it will narrow down the suggestions:
- Budget : 300-700
- Digital Cam or DSLR
- Love to travel.. so would love to take something that is quite portable and also able to take nice scenery photos..
- Prefered Brand: Canon or Nikon

Hope some kind souls out there could help me out by giving me some suggestions!

Thanks very much in advance.. will gladly provide more details of what i want if needed..

First off... welcome to clubsnap. Then try reading our stickies, there are threads that are quite detail in how to select a DSLR (read those thread, very comprehensive and informative).

Secondly, please don't just look at Canon and Nikon. Look to Pentax, Sony, Olympus, Ricoh, Panasonic, Fujifilm and Samsung too. They made very very good interchangeable lens camera too (note: I use interchangeable lens camera and not DSLR). Note that DSLR is only one of the type of interchangeable lens camera system out there, there are also the SLT camera (only Sony have them, and these are speed demons, fast, accurate focusing, incredible focus peaking capability, pretty affordable, great features and great lens selection) and other mirrorless interchangeable lens camera.

I will not go too much into detail on the difference between a mirrorless, SLT and DSLR interchangeable lens system (you can easily find literatures all over the webs and also in our stickies), but do give these other systems some thoughts.

Finally, list down what you really look for in your camera, what is the features that you must have, and what are those that are good to have, before shortlisting which camera to get (one word of advise though... select more brands and models). Then go down to the shops and ask to look at these models, have some hands on with them, see which one made more sense to you, then get that camera.

You can find a list of recommend shop in our marketplace area... but just to make it simple,

AH: Audio House
AP-F: Alan Photo, #02-07 Funan The IT Mall | 6883-0922 | alanfoto@singnet.com.sg
AP-S: Alan Photo, #01-38 Sim Lim Square | 6336-0922 | alanfoto@singnet.com.sg
BC: BargainCity.com.sg
CP-1: Cathay Photo, #01-11, 14 Peninsula Plaza (Main) | 6337-4274 | email@cathayphoto.com.sg
CP-2: Cathay Photo, Peninsula (Printer Section) | 6338-7783 | email@cathayphoto.com.sg
CP-3: Cathay Photo, Peninsula (Tripod Section) | 6338-0451 | email@cathayphoto.com.sg
CP-M: Cathay Photo, #02-215, Marina Square | 6339-6188 | email@cathayphoto.com.sg
HN: Harvey Norman (various)
IP: Iphoto (formally known as Lord's Camera) 304 Orchard Road, #01-79, Lucky Plaza, Singapore 238863 | 6235 4248 | 6235 4605 | iphoto78@yahoo.com.sg
JO: John 3:16, #05-37 Funan Digitalife Mall | 6337-2877 | 6337-1897 | j316ps@gmail.com
MS: MS Color (Main), 711 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 8, #01-3501C | 6457-6380 | sales@mscolor.com.sg
MS: MS Color (AMK Hub), 53 Ang Mo Kio Ave 3 #02-24 | 6452-2828 | sales@mscolor.com.sg
OP: Orient Photo, #06-31 | 53 Sim Lim Square | 6339-1035 | sales@orientfoto.com.sg
PA-N: Parisilk (North), 7 Transit Road | 6452-1593
PA-HV: Parisilk (Central), 15A Lorong Liput | 6466-6002
PA-E: Parisilk (East), Blk 214 #01-179 Bedok Central | 6441-6066
SLRR: SLR Revolution, #05-K7 Funan Digitalife Mall | 6336-8767 | slr.revo@gmail.com
TCW: The Camera Workshop, 3 Coleman Street #01-31 | 6336-1956 6336-7808 | tcwkshop@singnet.com.sg
TK: T.K. Foto Technic, #02-14 Funan Digitalife Mall | 6292-4533 | sales@tkfoto.com.sg | Welcome to T K FOTO - Home

if you are not ready for burn your money, do not get a DSLR.

300-700 you may try a simple compact camera like canon power shot.

Thank you both for the information and replies!

I've actually decided to go for one of the entry level DSLR as I still put quality of picture as my main priority.. and as far as my budget can go.. I think anything around $1000 +/- would be fine for me..

Currently I've shortlisted Nikon D3200 and Canon EOS600D.. Can anyone suggest any more models or brands that i can consider as well.. that are of same range and comparable against this 2 models? And any suggestions on the best place to get them if theres any?

Thank you very much in advance once again! =)

I've actually decided to go for one of the entry level DSLR as I still put quality of picture as my main priority.. and as far as my budget can go.. I think anything around $1000 +/- would be fine for me..

Currently I've shortlisted Nikon D3200 and Canon EOS600D.. Can anyone suggest any more models or brands that i can consider as well.. that are of same range and comparable against this 2 models? And any suggestions on the best place to get them if theres any?

you could also consider the EOS100D =)

Also look at a Pentax K30
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/reviews/1235771-pentax-k30-out-user-review.html

Sony A58. Killer features for the price. You get fast PDAF in live view, etc etc.

DSLR is consider camera system , which you can build, add on many many things on to it, so $1000 is just a beginning.....

another lens cost you few hundreds dollars,

a flash cost you another few hundreds dollars,

soon you will be thinking to upgrade to more awesome lenses, body, whatever,

$1000 is just a beginning....

I will not go too deep into individual models from individual brands... because in my opinion, they are all excellent cameras and it would not be right to praise on just one model then piss on all the others.

All I could say is, you would need to go down to the shop and have a feel of those cameras you shortlisted then choose the one that made the most sense to you. Please note that you could send emails to all the recommended shops that I have listed for you in my previous post requesting for quotation on the shortlisted cameras (normally they would sell cheaper than SRP prices).

Also don't just limit yourself to Nikon and Canon... please look at Pentax, Sony, Olympus, Panasonic, Fujifilm, Ricoh and even Samsung as these companies also made excellent cameras, but do take special note that not all of them manufacture DSLR. Currently Olympus, Panasonic, Fujifilm and Samsung's cameras offering are mirrorless camera, while Sony is actually doing DSLT rather than DSLR.

Dude, want a camera better than Canon 7D or Nikon D7000 yet under or around S$1000?
Look for Pentax K5 with it's kit lens.

Or something better than D5100 or 700D yet very cheap?
Look for Pentax K30.

Canon & Nikon are not the only DSLR makers. Google about the models I've mentioned and you'll have clear idea why I recommend them.

If your budget is only $1,000, then there are only so many options from Canon and Nikon. Head down to your preferred electronics store, try them out and walk away a happy person.

Thank you all for all the recommendations! I know ultimately and most importantly i have to go down and hands on the cameras before making a decision but i just would like to have a only a small few cameras/brands in mind so that i would not have to go through too much hassle and take too much time in deciding..

Anw I've also read up about mirrorless cameras these few days and it kinda fit into what i want also.. mainly better picture quality and portability.. is there anyone who could recommend any brands/models of mirrorless cameras within my budget of $1k too? Thanks in advance again!

For $1K you can easily get a decent mirrorless + kit lens, e.g. the Olympus E-PL5. Couple of slightly older models will also offer dual lens to go along for that price too.

Thank you all for all the recommendations! I know ultimately and most importantly i have to go down and hands on the cameras before making a decision but i just would like to have a only a small few cameras/brands in mind so that i would not have to go through too much hassle and take too much time in deciding..

Anw I've also read up about mirrorless cameras these few days and it kinda fit into what i want also.. mainly better picture quality and portability.. is there anyone who could recommend any brands/models of mirrorless cameras within my budget of $1k too? Thanks in advance again!

Look at the sony NEX. Uses DSLR-sized sensors.

I am using the Olympus - EPL1, OMD and EPM1. All of them took excellent photos, actually I loved my OMD most, give me the most control, weather seal body and had an excellent sensor plus processor. Another brand to consider is the Samsung NX series, it uses APS-C sensor and the latest model seemed to give heaps of features, great IQ and everything in a body.

Oh... and remember to look at Canon's EOS-M. It's new firmware seemed to solve the sluggish AF issue and it is definitely easy to work with now. Plus, the IQ is great.

Last edited: