Need advise on dry cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.
40L for the DHC got free deliver , but the more basic one dun have free delivery, have to self pickup... :(

Oh, thanks.
can share what price is the DHC 40L ?

I went for the DHC 80 when I was starting out - glad I didn't go for anything smaller. Got my 350D, 24-70, kit lens, wedding photos, batteries, video cam, compact cam.... You'd be surprised how quickly they can fill up. Still got space for a decent flash and a few lenses though ! :thumbsup:

All advice on cabinets I've seen (including my own) is don't underestimate the ability for it to fill up. Get as large as you feel is reasonable for your space and pocket. I would put priority on size rather than digital if you have to watch your budget.

Cheers

i jus got my ad-060 today. Value for money free gifts galore! 168 nett inclusive of delivery. go get it now while the promotion lasts!

ps: i wanted to get a 30L initially but afterwards settled for the 60L because I wanted to put in my watch collection as well. And to my surprise, I filled it up already! So my advice will be the same as most here, get the biggest u can afford, else u will keep on upgrading

My apologies my dear. My mistake :sweat:.

With 40L you can still get another one later if you decide to get more lenses or cameras. I know I had to :sweatsm:.

Cheers

Kelvin

40L one... somehow i dun intend to have much lens in there... lol

should correct u and say i am a female yes? lol

would a dry box suffice?

would a dry box suffice?

well if u dun mind recharge those sillca gel regulary it should be fine i guess... for me, i wanted a dry cabi so that my lens have a nice place to sleep @ night [i make them sound like a bunch of kids... tehehehehe, they even got named ;p am i weird?? lol]

Hi, is dry cabinet a must-have? :)

yes if u intend to go pro and longterm it works better [i assumer bah....]

My apologies my dear. My mistake :sweat:.

With 40L you can still get another one later if you decide to get more lenses or cameras. I know I had to :sweatsm:.

Cheers

Kelvin

ahahahaha dun worry my nick isn;t a girl nick unless u watch gundam seed lol

My advice is not to buy beyond 80 litres. The larger the cabinet, the longer it takes the dehumidifying unit to extract moisture from the cabinet after you have opened it.

If you need more space - buy multiples of smaller units. It spreads the work load across multiple dehumidfying units and it also lowers the risk of unit failure across the units. i.e. if one fails, you are not w/o a dehumidifier.

The cost is only slightly more if you get two smaller units as opposed to one large one. e.g. 2 x 60 litres vs 1 x 120 litres. Plus you get two dehumidifiers instead of one.

My advice is not to buy beyond 80 litres. The larger the cabinet, the longer it takes the dehumidifying unit to extract moisture from the cabinet after you have opened it.

If you need more space - buy multiples of smaller units. It spreads the work load across multiple dehumidfying units and it also lowers the risk of unit failure across the units. i.e. if one fails, you are not w/o a dehumidifier.

The cost is only slightly more if you get two smaller units as opposed to one large one. e.g. 2 x 60 litres vs 1 x 120 litres. Plus you get two dehumidifiers instead of one.

You will aslo be doubling your power consumption.

You will aslo be doubling your power consumption.

Come on! Don't be silly! 5 extra watts isn't going to break the bank.

If you are that penny wise (miserly), then you can always shut off the unit and let it sit for a few weeks. The humidity will remain constant as long as you do not open the door (which has a magnetic seal like on a fridge). If you do open up the unit to retrieve something, just turn it on again and let it return to optimum humidity.

My AD-160 comes with two dehumidifying units(one at the top and one bottom)... lol that's 160 litres for you, man...:bsmilie:
So means one spoil, one still working!:bsmilie:
For me, I rather get a nice big one and keep everything all together. If you buy certain models above 120 litres, like 200 litres, the cabinet may be split into two section one top one bottom, therefore you got two doors, two 100l cabinet in one! Other types will come in two full length doors, and thus open like wardrobe. Only then you get a continuous space inside.

So, if you need it, get it. More than 80 litres no prob, I vouch for the digi-cabi series, saw the stuff. It can manage the size. No worries!:)

I usually see that 2 small ones are cheaper than an equivalent large one, like in your example.

My AD-160 comes with two dehumidifying units(one at the top and one bottom)... lol that's 160 litres for you, man...:bsmilie:
So means one spoil, one still working!:bsmilie:
For me, I rather get a nice big one and keep everything all together. If you buy certain models above 120 litres, like 200 litres, the cabinet may be split into two section one top one bottom, therefore you got two doors, two 100l cabinet in one! Other types will come in two full length doors, and thus open like wardrobe. Only then you get a continuous space inside.

So, if you need it, get it. More than 80 litres no prob, I vouch for the digi-cabi series, saw the stuff. It can manage the size. No worries!:)

So i should get at least 100 litre ah....hmmm...my gear also not that much leh...i only have another 70-200 f/4 to add plus a film SLR, compact PnS with accessories.

Come to think of it, Tetrode is right. My 80L took slightly more than 24hrs to stablise the humidity :sweat:.

I agree that 2 smaller units are better than 1. That way you can organise you gear as well. My 2 units are devided between my old handy cams, P&S & SLR body and gear.

Cheers

Kelvin

would a dry box suffice?
Depend on you. Some people happy with dry box. But, my advise is dry cab. You will need Silica gel on dry box to keep humidity low, and troublesome yourself to keep on eye on silica gel (I assumed you will use blue silica gel, as it is the most and cheaply available in Singapore). When it turn to pink color, you need to change it or recycle it.

FYI, blue silica gel contain cobalt chloride for blue humidity indicator, which is known as carcinogen. Better save than sorry.

Beside, AFAIK, the volume of dry box is small compare to dry cab.

Regards,
Arto.

Hi, is dry cabinet a must-have? :)
IMHO: Yes. In tropical climate like Singapore, where humidity is 70-90%.

Without dry cab you might spend more on cleaning the lens(es) from fungus. Not to mention picture quality degrade on lens after fungus cleaning.

Buy dry cab as soon as possible.

Regards,
Arto.

Status
Not open for further replies.