Need advise for Pentax DA* 300

I think that the DA*300 + TC overall IQ should still be better than normal zoom lens.
Ddin't know TC can covert manual lens into AF (semi) lens? :what:
Any idea the price of Pentax-F 1.7x ? ;p

its no longer in production... i also looking for one ;)

its no longer in production... i also looking for one ;)

It is still in production... but made in Vietnam now... but dun tell anyone ;)
I got my new early this year from Amazon Japan.
Price has gone up a bit... ~SGD$400 now.

Or you can get it from him
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pentax-F-AF-Adapter-1-7X-1056493-NEW-RARE-BOX-/270280309773?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item3eedf63c0d
for $875 ... US$ :eek:

It is still in production... but made in Vietnam now... but dun tell anyone ;)
I got my new early this year from Amazon Japan.
Price has gone up a bit... ~SGD$400 now.

Or you can get it from him
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pentax-F-AF-Adapter-1-7X-1056493-NEW-RARE-BOX-/270280309773?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item3eedf63c0d
for $875 ... US$ :eek:

S$400 still can consider but US$875 :bigeyes:

No lah ;) buy to play play. Hand itchy.

If can get new then must check out the amazon.jp lobang too! Wee! New toy!

You planning to use the TC on the DAL 55-300? Not recommended though...

Pinhole, where u got this lens? I'm a sucker for MF. My Samyang 500mm since T-mount, it doesnt goes well with Split Focusing screen. Most probably need a proper K-mount. :thumbsup:

Got it on ebay. It was a reputable greek seller. I don't think its common. He does seem to have lots of Prost 55/1.2 though. I've seen him sell at least 3-4 so far.

As mentioned, the old telephotos lack the modern optics and coatings. Contrast will be weak (no big deal since a quick adj in PP will settle this) and prone to flare (have to watch for this one). I won't recommend this route for someone who wants the best and can pay. But no real harm for ppl who use a telephoto once in a while and don't mind the manual everything (and the weight! :sweat:)

If you are a sucker for long MF lenses :D
The sample shots from the Tair Photosniper 300/4.5 really impressed me.
Not to mention the cool rifle stock. :cool:
cover1.png

kengoh,

You probably know what you need quite well since you have a 55-300 and have played with it quite a bit (seen quite a bit of your shots in the sub-forums);)
I was in the same situation as you a few months ago. Decided on a F*300 instead for the smaller size and "legacy" status.

I did not find the 55-330 to be lacking in sharpness. I found it lacking in speed. The sample shots you posted reveals some of that. Most are suffering from camera shake not image quality. A max aperture of f5.8 at 300mm makes it real hard to have a good shutter speed (esp. if we want low ISO). Very often the size and weigh of a 55-300 "deceives" us into thinking that we can shoot hand held, but at f5.8 and a theoretical minimum of 1/300 shutter speed, it can be hard. A tripod or at least proper support/bracing will help.

The other thing the 55-300 could not make up for was additional reach. A teleconverter on it would really be pushing it (ie. large f-stop number and image degradation).

Last edited:
You planning to use the TC on the DAL 55-300? Not recommended though...

no lah... to be honest, other than test shots, i've never taken the 55-300 out for a good shoot yet... might take it for a spin when i go zoo or something.

i was thinking of using the TC with my 100mm f/2.8... additional reach without too much additional weight ;)

i find it hard to handle big / heavy lenses... not used to it :sweat:

kengoh,

You probably know what you need quite well since you have a 55-300 and have played with it quite a bit (seen quite a bit of your shots in the sub-forums);)
I was in the same situation as you a few months ago. Decided on a F*300 instead for the smaller size and "legacy" status.

I did not find the 55-330 to be lacking in sharpness. I found it lacking in speed. The sample shots you posted reveals some of that. Most are suffering from camera shake not image quality. A max aperture of f5.8 at 300mm makes it real hard to have a good shutter speed (esp. if we want low ISO). Very often the size and weigh of a 55-300 "deceives" us into thinking that we can shoot hand held, but at f5.8 and a theoretical minimum of 1/300 shutter speed, it can be hard. A tripod or at least proper support/bracing will help.

The other thing the 55-300 could not make up for was additional reach. A teleconverter on it would really be pushing it (ie. large f-stop number and image degradation).

Just did a quick readup of this F*300, the comments are generally very good claiming very sharp & excellent build quality & the weight is below 1kg :thumbsup:
Don't think it's still in production? :(

For the link I posted in the earlier post, most of the shots are handheld shot at shutter speeds of 1/320s or 1/400s, while some with lower shutter speed are using tripod leh..
For sure I'll not consider a TC on the 55-300, the most I'll not shoot smaller birds or birds which are far away from me.

I'm quite happy with the 55-300 at focal length <250mm :cool:
http://bbs.fengniao.com/forum/showthread.php?p=29541491

no lah... to be honest, other than test shots, i've never taken the 55-300 out for a good shoot yet... might take it for a spin when i go zoo or something.

i was thinking of using the TC with my 100mm f/2.8... additional reach without too much additional weight ;)

i find it hard to handle big / heavy lenses... not used to it :sweat:

:what: you bought the lens from my fren till now still have not bring out to shoot?
oh.. so you want the TC to be used on your 100mm lens..

:what: you bought the lens from my fren till now still have not bring out to shoot?
oh.. so you want the TC to be used on your 100mm lens..

:cool: yah lor... busy leh... and when i do go out to shoot, somehow, the 55-300 just doesn't seem to get used :dunno: not really my thing i guess... i seem to be able to do most things with the primes... :sweatsm:

Just did a quick readup of this F*300, the comments are generally very good claiming very sharp & excellent build quality & the weight is below 1kg :thumbsup:
Don't think it's still in production? :(

For the link I posted in the earlier post, most of the shots are handheld shot at shutter speeds of 1/320s or 1/400s, while some with lower shutter speed are using tripod leh..
For sure I'll not consider a TC on the 55-300, the most I'll not shoot smaller birds or birds which are far away from me.

I'm quite happy with the 55-300 at focal length <250mm :cool:
http://bbs.fengniao.com/forum/showthread.php?p=29541491

Ha.. ha.. the real secret for getting the F*;
The Master (you know who you are ;) ) here who has tried all the good lenses chose this one over all the *300mm :D
I've tried the DA* myself. Comparable sharpness at f4.5. Its a trade-off between slightly faster aperture, WR, SDM, a bit better tripod mount on the DA, vs the compactness/portability/handhold ease (and bragging rights) of the F*.
No wrong either direction.

Frankly, I find that the Sigma 100-300/4 to be one of THE BEST options for a good 300mm. Really sharp lens that rivals the *300 primes and matches well with a Sigma 1.4x teleconverter. Its a zoom too, so 100mm to 300mm is really well covered with just one lens. Downside is weight. The reason why I did not get it is that I don't trust Sigma (a few bad experiences) and I'd rather get Pentax stuff. I also have the option to borrow it if I want.

Yes, totally agree that the 55-300 is fantastic up to 190mm where it is only f4.5. On my limited comparison to a Sigma 70-200/2.8, I found that the Sigma at 200mm only matched in sharpness at f4.5 (ie. same) (so I did not buy the 70-200 in the end). Of course the 70-200/2.8 is a sharp enough at f2.8 and will deliver in low light situations that the 55-300 can't compete.

Last edited:
Ha.. ha.. the real secret for getting the F*;
The Master (you know who you are ;) ) here who has tried all the good lenses chose this one over all the *300mm :D
I've tried the DA* myself. Comparable sharpness at f4.5. Its a trade-off between slightly faster aperture, WR, SDM, a bit better tripod mount on the DA, vs the compactness/portability/handhold ease (and bragging rights) of the F*.
No wrong either direction.

Frankly, I find that the Sigma 100-300/4 to be one of THE BEST options for a good 300mm. Really sharp lens that rivals the *300 primes and matches well with a Sigma 1.4x teleconverter. Its a zoom too, so 100mm to 300mm is really well covered with just one lens. Downside is weight. The reason why I did not get it is that I don't trust Sigma (a few bad experiences) and I'd rather get Pentax stuff. I also have the option to borrow it if I want.

Yes, totally agree that the 55-300 is fantastic up to 190mm where it is only f4.5. On my limited comparison to a Sigma 70-200/2.8, I found that the Sigma at 200mm only matched in sharpness at f4.5 (ie. same) (so I did not buy the 70-200 in the end). Of course the 70-200/2.8 is a sharp enough at f2.8 and will deliver in low light situations that the 55-300 can't compete.

Wah, keep tempting me on the F*300 ;p
I've not owned any Sigma yet but I do read that some Sigma lens have back/rear focusing issue. :sweat:
Can match with more expensive Sigma 70-200 F2.8? If like that the 55-300 is really a value for money lens ($350 for DAL). :thumbsup:

Got it on ebay. It was a reputable greek seller. I don't think its common. He does seem to have lots of Prost 55/1.2 though. I've seen him sell at least 3-4 so far.

As mentioned, the old telephotos lack the modern optics and coatings. Contrast will be weak (no big deal since a quick adj in PP will settle this) and prone to flare (have to watch for this one). I won't recommend this route for someone who wants the best and can pay. But no real harm for ppl who use a telephoto once in a while and don't mind the manual everything (and the weight! :sweat:)

If you are a sucker for long MF lenses :D
The sample shots from the Tair Photosniper 300/4.5 really impressed me.
Not to mention the cool rifle stock. :cool:
cover1.png

Found the Photosniper lens... :lovegrin:

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/TAIR-3-S-300mm-f-4-5-M42-LENS-PENTAX-CANON-NIKON-SONY-/230484888103?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraLensesFilters_JN&hash=item35a9f84a27