Need a lens for my E-1. Any recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sharpness and IQ-wise, I can't tell the difference.

Primary difference is that the 50mm is weatherproofed and is brighter (shallower DOF as well). Oh yes and there the thing about the 50mm costing more than twice the price of the 35mm...

The 35mm has another advantage, which is 1x image magnification. But to get this, you'll need to be very close to your subject and proper lighting becomes an issue.

The 50mm macro has been critised by some reviewers for its 0.5x image magnification as "not a true macro lens".

The 14-54mm can actually focus at something just 6-7cm away from its front-most lens element! AF motor is quieter too but when turning the zoom ring, there's an annoying squeaky rubber-rubbing sound -at least on mine.

The 35mm has another advantage, which is 1x image magnification. But to get this, you'll need to be very close to your subject and proper lighting becomes an issue.

The 50mm macro has been critised by some reviewers for its 0.5x image magnification as "not a true macro lens".

The 14-54mm can actually focus at something just 6-7cm away from its front-most lens element! AF motor is quieter too but when turning the zoom ring, there's an annoying squeaky rubber-rubbing sound -at least on mine.

Dun think i'll get the 14~54mm lah... then my kit lenses become obsolete liao... :(

SO... for nice portraits, 35mm? or 50mm? :dunno:

U mentioned "need to be very close" for the 35mm... how close is that? machiam the 14~54mm's 6-7cm?

Dun think i'll get the 14~54mm lah... then my kit lenses become obsolete liao... :(

SO... for nice portraits, 35mm? or 50mm? :dunno:

U mentioned "need to be very close" for the 35mm... how close is that? machiam the 14~54mm's 6-7cm?

Dunno man... I don't do portraits at the moment but I'll try to use my 35mm and 14-54mm for practice on this at upcoming weddings and social events.

For the full 1x magnification on the 35mm? You'll need to be about 1.5 inches away from the subject.

Dunno man... I don't do portraits at the moment but I'll try to use my 35mm and 14-54mm for practice on this at upcoming weddings and social events.

For the full 1x magnification on the 35mm? You'll need to be about 1.5 inches away from the subject.

my 2cents,

the 35mm and esp the 50mm are good for portrait as one can play with the DOV. since they are prime and thus are optically sharper than lens of the same grade.

btw, all lens can be used as protrait lens, even a wideangle. it only matters how far between u and ur subject. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.