Need a lens for my E-1. Any recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panzer

Nov 7, 2004
NSW Australia
Hi all, I've just won an ebay bid on a E-1 body and now in urgent need of a Zuiko lens to go with it.
I am a Nikon SLR user and very new to Oly E-1 system. I would like to give the Olympus E-system a try and i am thinking of the 14-54mm lens, is it a good 1st lens for my E-1?

Thanks in advance.

Hi all, I've just won an ebay bid on a E-1 body and now in urgent need of a Zuiko lens to go with it.
I am a Nikon SLR user and very new to Oly E-1 system. I would like to give the Olympus E-system a try and i am thinking of the 14-54mm lens, is it a good 1st lens for my E-1?

Thanks in advance.

That is the only lens I have for my E1. And it takes care of 95% of my requirements. So I do not bother photographing th other 5%!

Better locate an oly user nearest to you. TRY with any avaliable zuiko lens befor deciding. Oly glass is not cheap. You do not know the condition of the 2nd hand E-1..so better to test the E-1 before buying any lens.

That is the only lens I have for my E1. And it takes care of 95% of my requirements. So I do not bother photographing th other 5%!

I kinda knew you would say this as I have read this comment from you before in some other threads. It is one of the reasons why I am considering this lens, but kinda of ex tho. Thanks.

I kinda knew you would say this as I have read this comment from you before in some other threads. It is one of the reasons why I am considering this lens, but kinda of ex tho. Thanks.

Well, it is really a good lens. The "medium wide to medium tele" is a very useful range for landscape, streets, and portraits. Reasonable "close -up". Focussing not the fastest. But I learn to work within its limitations.

14~54 is not the fastest?? Try the 14~45....then you tell me which is the faster!!!!Blu would gladly trade the 14~45 for a 14~54 anytime!!!!!.

14~54 is not the fastest?? Try the 14~45....then you tell me which is the faster!!!!Blu would gladly trade the 14~45 for a 14~54 anytime!!!!!.

Sorry!

I was comparing that to my Canon1nRS with USM lenses or my friend's 1DMkII with USM lenses. I know what speed is. But I still prefer my E1 to the 1D MkII.

The E1 is not the fastest, and sometimes in street photography I wish I could just go whamm! whamm!. But on the other hand, it is also relatively lighter and more quiet than the Canon, and I can get close to my subjects on the streets and make a photograph without the subject knowing!

.....can get close to my subjects on the streets and make a photograph without the subject knowing!
E-1's advantage. Blu was using a C-8080 back then...same effect infact, the subject won't even know...the 8080 have something similar to the E-300's liveView. No need to look thru the viewfinder to frame the subject!!!!...even more dangerous!!!!

Hey guys,

The 14~45 is the kit lens right?

So what are the advantages the 14~54 has over the 14~45?
I gathered from the previous posts that the focusing speed is better/faster?

Anything else?

Sorry, just trying to increase my knowledge on Oly stuff...

Thanks,
Eric

Other than that, smaller f-stop (ie faster lens). Weather proof, longer reach (54mm compared to 45mm). Image quality wise, some say its compatible especially you stop down the 14-45mm lens a couple of stops. And finally a lot more expensive...

If you are really low on budget, then get the 14-45mm. Otherwise, I recommend the 14-54mm.

14-54 is a lens which I find that wide open and stopped down not much improvement which means that its wide open performance is very good. Only at the 54mm end, f3.5 is a BIT soft. But just a teeny bit.

Other than that, smaller f-stop (ie faster lens). Weather proof, longer reach (54mm compared to 45mm). Image quality wise, some say its compatible especially you stop down the 14-45mm lens a couple of stops. And finally a lot more expensive...

If you are really low on budget, then get the 14-45mm. Otherwise, I recommend the 14-54mm.

I see... Thanks!

So how much is the 14~54? I mean, its a lot more expensive, but by how much?
Then again, dun make much sense if i already have he 14~45 then get the 14~54... yeah?

Kinda interested in those fixed focal length lenses, heard they give better quality?

It can focus closer than the 14-45mm as well. :)

The keyword...Weather proof to match the camera. What's the point having a weather proof cam but not the lens.

I see... Thanks!

So how much is the 14~54? I mean, its a lot more expensive, but by how much?
Then again, dun make much sense if i already have he 14~45 then get the 14~54... yeah?

Kinda interested in those fixed focal length lenses, heard they give better quality?

Well I manged to get myself the 14-54 lens and also had the chance to try the 150mm F2 lens. The 150mm was superb for shooting portraits from far distance. Though heavy which requires you to get used to it, it was really bright even though I shot photos in the evening. Nice stuff!

Thanks in advance.

All things considered, get the 14-54mm. It's about $750 brand-new; it's cheap compared to L glass but the build quality is at least that of L glass.

It's f2.8-3.5! Find me another lens that bright with that range and below that price point.

It's sharp wide open, it focuses as near as 22cm.

It's weatherproofed to match the E-1.

Not to mentioned most people will be using that zoom range 95% of the time... :bsmilie:

Well I manged to get myself the 14-54 lens and also had the chance to try the 150mm F2 lens. The 150mm was superb for shooting portraits from far distance. Though heavy which requires you to get used to it, it was really bright even though I shot photos in the evening. Nice stuff!

Sure it's nice stuff, but not for people on a budget (me included!) :bigeyes:

thats where the little brother comes into play.. 50mm F2. :thumbsup:

thats where the little brother comes into play.. 50mm F2. :thumbsup:

Hey guys,

What's with the 50mm F2? F2 = BIG aperture rite?
So this lens will be good for? Portraits? etc etc?

There's also a Zuiko 35mm F3.5 yeah? Eh... what's the diff? Pics-wise?

Thanks,
Eric :dunno:

Hey guys,

What's with the 50mm F2? F2 = BIG aperture rite?
So this lens will be good for? Portraits? etc etc?

There's also a Zuiko 35mm F3.5 yeah? Eh... what's the diff? Pics-wise?

Thanks,
Eric :dunno:

Sharpness and IQ-wise, I can't tell the difference.

Primary difference is that the 50mm is weatherproofed and is brighter (shallower DOF as well). Oh yes and there the thing about the 50mm costing more than twice the price of the 35mm...

Status
Not open for further replies.